Rafa – It’s Important Fans Think We Can Win Cups

One of the things Rafa Benitez mentioned in his press conference earlier this afternoon is that it’s important the Geordie fans have the possibility of being able to see their side win some cups.

If we can win tomorrow night’s game against Preston then we will be in the quarter finals and then anything is possible.

But Rafa being Rafa – he has urged everybody to just focus on the next game against Preston North End and we have to win that one – we cannot get too far ahead of ourselves this season.

rafa-benitez-brentford

Rafa Benitez with coach Paco de Miguel

And with Preston it’s the same as the last round against Wolves when we play them twice in four days but this time we play the EFL Cup tie first.

This is some of what Benitez said in his press conference about tomorrow night’s game:

“I think it’s important for fans to have possibility to win cups.”“The only way you can do that is to win a game – then dream about next one.”

“You never know. What happened against Wolves meant we had to perform better in the second game.”

“We have to do well in the first one this time.” “It is a strange situation, but we must focus on the first game.”

“We are trying to work in a way where everybody is involved. If we change players you will see the difference in match fitness.”

“I don’t know if they will rotate their players. Maybe they will consider they won’t do well in the cups and focus on the league.

“That is a question for their manager.” “They are doing well. I am sure they are have confidence, but this league will be tough until the end.”

If we can beat Preston then we are three games from reaching the final at Wembley and four games from potentially winning the League Cup – with a two-legged semi-final.

But first things first – we must win this game tomorrow night in front of over 40,0000 supporters.

Tickets are now starting to sell quickly and 40,000 have already been sold – amazing.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:33 PM

@toonincheck – yeah agree somewhat. Reckon theres only 2or 3 players he’d risk though, Shelvey offers something no one else does, perhaps Lascelles as he is captain and maybe Gayle as again his runs offer something uptop no one else does.
    The more I see us this year the more I’m surprised Armstrong wasn’t kept as an understudy to Gayle

• Termijn

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM

I feel we have a half decent chance with the cup this season. The draw has been kind so far and if we manage to avoid the big teams in the next round (assuming we make it) we should be able to make the semis, which would be an achievement in itself.

• firebug666

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM

So far Gouffran has been our lucky charm, we have won every game he has been involved in. I wonder then will Rafa rest him tomorrow?

I have an idea of the Rafa bingo team I’ll go with, just waiting for Ed to post his team. Needless to say I fancy there will be a few changes, but we have enough in this squad to win both games.

Score prediction for tomorrow, 2-0 depending on their team selection of cause if they play a second string team it’s likely to be a few more.

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM

too right we should have a go at the cups! We’ve got 2 separate starting 11’s that if they were separate sides would probably finish 1st and 2nd in the championship!
    We literally have 2 players that are near on the same ability in every position in a starting 11. We have the squad for it!
    GK- We have Darlow or sels or soon Elliot
    RB- Yedlin, Anita or soon Gamez
    RCB Mbemba /Clark
    LCB Lascelles/Hanley
    LB – Dummett, Lazaar, soon Gamez
    RM – Ritchie/Atsu
    CM – Shelvey/Tiote
    CM- Hayden/Colback
    LM – Gouffran/Aarons
    AM – Diame/Perez
    CF – Gayle/Mitro/Murphy
    And that’s not even accounting for players like Diame, Perez, Anita that can play in multiple positions…
    With the exception of Shelvey and Gayle who are in my opinion a bit a head of their alternatives, we have almost 2 equal starting 11’s

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:40 PM

@firebug – reckon Gouff would have been rested more if Aarons had been fit. Like someone said earlier, Aarons seemed to come into the season as first choice LM based on preseason and picked up an injury

• tonynufc

Anita Mbemba Hanley Lazaar
    Colback Hayden
    Atsu Perez Goofy
    Mitro

• bettyswallocks

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:42 PM

It’s good to know that Rafa understands that the fans expect us to compete in the cups and try to bring some long overdue silverware to the club.
    I assume this was discussed before Rafa agreed to stay and at last we are seeing the club being run as a sporting institution first and foremost .
    If we win tomorrow and get a bit lucky with the draw, dare we dream?Surely the point of having a big squad is to enable us to compete in every match.

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Is Aarons fit now?

• firebug666

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM

jay

True enough marra, but Gouffran has controlled that left side since Haidara got injured, and for me he has been in excellent form. The point is when he hasn’t been involved for us we lost. Just saying!

So will he be rest tomorrow?

Better question is have we anyone ready to replace him yet?

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM

@firebug- I flat out forgot that Haidara even played for us. Quite liked him as a player too!
    I’d be surprised if Gouff plays tomorrow as he has made himself an important member of the side for the league

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Team vs Preston

Sels
    Gamez_Mbemba_Hanley_Lazaar
    Hayden_Colback
    Yedlin_Perez_Gouffran
    Mitrovic

• stephen1971

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:06 PM

sissoko has been charged by fa for that elbow, 3 match ban coming for him
    hopefully he won,t rest richie as he is just back after missing a game, it,ll be san interesting line up though i,m sure

• Termijn

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:07 PM

I feel Rafa will rest Darlow, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett, Shelvey, Gouffran and Gayle for the cup as they seem clear first choice at the moment and don’t appear to be rotating in the league.

Does anyone know whether Haidara is match fit yet? Would be interesting to see if he gets a run out.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Phew, finally caught up from yesterday. 🙂

On whether we should try for the cups or concentrate on the League. It’s a no brainer, we go for both.
    Winning begats more winning we shouldn’t be prepared to settle for less.

I’d have Schweinstieger on loan in a flash, he’d be great cover for Jomjo.

Townsend, no thanks.

jayphoto
    I was questioning the other day if we really had cover for every position and some of those you’ve mentioned ie LB, CM, LM don’t fill me with confidence although I think there’s enough to keep the team winning.

Thats my starter for 10.

• martoon

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM

jayphoto @1 – I can’t see Rafa risking Shelvey as he is on 4 yellow cards – he will get to 5 sometime but not in a cup match surely.

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:14 PM

@martoon I was surprised Jonjo didn’t pick up a cheap one against Ipswich in order to pass the cup game which I didn’t think he’d play in

• welshgeordie9

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:14 PM

Just watched cisse score the most wackiest goal ever, how the frig did that go in.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM

It’s on newcastlenewsnow.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM

He scored some class goals for us but there’s no way he meant this one.

• firebug666

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Jay

Like many here I’m not sure how fit Haidara is, I did hear he had played 45 minutes for the reserves last week (i think), But as to his match fitness????

I think Sels will be a definite starter as he will be eased back in after suffering the moronic abuse he received on twitter.

Anita may or may not feature as he has been Rafa No.1 choice in the league, but was rested last week. all we can do is guess at what team will take the field, so rather than wait for Ed I will go with this Rafa bingo 11.

Confirmed Rafa Bingo Line-up:

Sels

Yedlin—–Mbemba—–Lascelles—–Lazaar

Richie—–Hayden—–Tiote—–Gouffran

Murphy—–Mitrovic

Very difficult to pick a team these days that will match what Rafa will do, so part of this is who Rafa may pick and the rest is who I would like to see.

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:36 PM

@firebug – yeah I think ultimately sels will probably emerge to be the number 1 keeper. Darlow is a solid keeper but from what I’ve seen and heard about sels he has the quicker reflexes, better positioning etc. a lot of potential there but he needs to get to grips with the physicality and crosses!
    I think currently Darlow is a 7/10 keeper with the potential to only be a 7/10 whereas Sels is a 5/10 who could become a 9/10 with hard work.

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Just seeen Cisses goal haha brilliant

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:08 PM

hows about ‘The reserve’ team for tomorrow
    not much different to firebug’s

Sels