Rafa On What’s Needed For Newcastle To Win Trophies

Benitez took Liverpool to an FA Cup triumph in 2006 when they beat Alan Pardew’s West Ham side 3-1 on penalties after the game had finished at 3-3 after 90 minutes.

That was after Steven Gerrard had equalized in the 91st minute with a tremendous long distance effort.

Rafa also took Liverpool to the League Cup final the year earlier in 2005 (when they won the Champions League) but they were beaten 3-2 by Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea after extra time; the teams had been level at 1-1 after 90 minutes.

rafa-benitez-smiling

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

So Rafa has had  good runs in both local cup competitions and today has told the Chronicle that he will try to win the League Cup this year.

But Rafa has also said that if we are to start to win trophies Newcastle must be in the Premier League and we would have to strengthen the side with better players.

This is what he has said today:

“I have been here for so many years now that I know what the FA Cup and the League Cup means to the fans.” “It’s really important to approach the competition seriously and try to win.”

“But we don’t go around telling everyone we will win the trophy.”

“If we win this game we will see what happens in the draw and see what happens in the next game and how to approach that.”

“We have changed players for every game.” “Everybody can expect some changes but they can be sure we will have a strong team on the pitch.”

“When you are in a cup competition or you progress a little bit the fans then expect.”

“As I have said we will take the competition seriously and will try to win, but you can’t talk like that too much.”

“What we have to do is concentrate on nothing but the next game, then after that analyse it.”

“We are in a position now where we can manage the squad with a strong team. That is what we try to do.”

“If we go through maybe we would change things – if we had a massive game in the league we’d do it.”

“I won’t lie to fans and say we will try to go all the way and win the final.”  “If we can, we can, but we will be playing against very strong teams.”

“We know that if we want more chances to win trophies in the future we have to be stronger.”

“To be stronger is to get to the Premier League and have more income and more money to buy better players.”

“If you are stronger you can then compete against anyone.”

Rafa’s right – but it would be great to beat Preston tonight and then get a home draw in the next round – the quarter finals.

Anything would be possible if that happened.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JamesToon

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I’d still make between 7 and 11 changes for tonight, we have strong depth and Need to give others a chance.

Sels
    Yedlin Hanley Mbemba Gamez
    Hayden Diame
    Atsu Murphy Lazaar
    Mitro

Darlow, Clark, Anita, Tiote, Ritchie, Perez, Gayle

• WWSBRD

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM

This competition is probably the best chance for Rafa to really see what we’ve got because we will have to face a PL side (and a good one most likely) and they will push us, they wont be scared by NUFC and Rafa

Id like to see that if am honest

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM

@WWSBRD

I actually think we would be a team that a lot of premiership teams will want to avoid ! Can see us raising our game dramatically and being all over teams like a rash!

Plus I think Gayle will have more chances with balls over the top as teams in the championship don’t give us a lot of space to get in behind

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM

ww

lots of good teams in the comp and looks like there will be 6 prem teams in the last 8

• WWSBRD

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM

LCBP
    Of the teams that’ll be left in it I imagine we will be one of the favorable draws (if we go through) but thats good I want to see how we fare against a PL side

beer
    Bring them on mate haha (though it wouldnt surprise me if Reading go through over Arsenal)

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM

@WWSBRD

Would love us to get Sunderland but they will most likely get destroyed by Southampton this round ……

• JamesToon

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Would be interesting to see how we’d get on against a PL side.

• Kabul Fish

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Looking forward to the game tonight and hope we can progress – think it will be a tough game and a cracker! HWTL

Really hope Mitro starts but don’t think he will….

• WWSBRD

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM

LCBP
    I think Id like Southampton tbh because they are the level Id like to think we’d be at when in the PL…I say this now but if we go through I will be praying for Hull/Bristol or Leeds/Norwich haha

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM

“You can’t see one of our players who is not playing is better than a player in another team.”

“Our squad in terms of numbers is similar to others. In terms of quality it could be better but other teams have good players on the bench.”

Aye reet Rafa!

The gaffer was having a little let them eat cake moment there I think.

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM

WWS

First of all we have to get through but if we do I agree with your view, getting a top 6 side like Spurs, Liverpool, either Manc club could be too much of a step, depending what side they put out obviously, but a Soton or a West Ham could give us a relistic opportunity to see just how far behind a mid table side we currently are, that’s if we are behind them, I do not want Sunderland as our recent record is dreadful and in such a game would we see how we rate against PL teams, it would not be an ideal game to use as a marker, Soton or West Ham for me, mind a home tie against Bristol City, Leeds or Reading would really get the juices flowing.

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM

ww

i think were a way behind southampton although they do keep selling there best players

if i am honest i have no idea where we would finish in the prem with this team
    as a team we much better than the lot that got us relegated

• manxpie

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Would love a final against man City
    pep vs rafa also a semi against the scum where we obviously hammer them!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I’d like to get Reading at home in the next round.

• WWSBRD

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Spoof
    I think if we get through Preston i will be happy regardless of who we get in the next round. The top 6 in the PL will be beyond us I agree but it’ll be a good test anyway

Southampton or West Ham would be best options for me though aye

beermonkey
    southampton are in that 8th-14th bracket mate which is where Id like to think we will be first season back, we are behind them obviously but I dont think they’d completely out play us. Our current team in the PL I dont think they’d get relegated but it may be close

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM

beermonkey

I think we would surprise quite few, we do have some good quality players, what is vital is creating chances and with Ritchie and Shelvey having both done it in the PL then we would have chances against most teams, and as I said before the season started Gayle is a natural goalscorerwho has been unlucky in the PL due to having managers who prefer target men rather than a quick, agile striker like Gayle, but now with a manager who prefers the quicker type of striker and with a side creating for us we are seeing just how good he is.

However what makes the difference between good and poor teams is the defence, now we saw last season with Anita, Mbemba, Lascellas and Dummett who are all still here just how well organised Rafa has his defence, with a solid defence and a striker scoring goals that alone would have us doing a lot better than what we have done for quite a while, and don’t forget that if we do as I expect us to do get promoted then we can expect one or two higher quality players to join us, in all honesty even with what we have now with the defensive organisation, the creativity and the goals that we have in the side I do not believe that we are too far away from being a mid table PL side.

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM

ww

i think 8-14th would be a good start back in the prem and a good platform to build on

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Some of these cup matches are on telly, does anyone know if there is a stream for our match ?

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM

spoof

rafa’s organisation of the team you could see take effect the last few games last season and i dont think we would have gone down with just on that alone
    we are very much more balanced in def and attack

to be fair i am not sure where rafa will start to replace players when we go up

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Let’s not get to carried away. We’re already talking about winning trophies. It’s a long road to a trophy. Need to be in a final before such talk should be allowed.

Let’s concentrate on winning tonight’s game, rather than look so far ahead.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM

not sure why people are desperate for mitro. 4231 is working just fine with a far more mobile and disciplined striker in gayle. if mitro were to leave in jan, i’m sure rafa has got people in mind.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:27 AM

can’t see rafa being content with anything below 8 minimum. the guy’s ambitious, just like kk was when he got us back up.

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM

beer

Now guessing what positions Rafa would like to improve if we do go up would possibly be a more difficult challenge than Jail’s Rafa bingo.

Some positions would be easy to forecast, another winger would probably top every ones list, apart from that it isn’t that easy, we haven’t really seen Gamez nor Lazaar so we can’t really say that a FB would be needed, not sure about Hanley so perhaps a CB, Hayden for me will be a good player but I have my doubts about Colback so an experienced HM with Hayden to learn from could be another, certainly another quick striker as an injury to Gayle could see us struggle, but this is for the future, we have so many who we haven’t really seen enough of yet so it’s a difficult call.

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Rotonda

Mitro struggling for game time is not a surprise to me as I did forsee that happening, however if for whatever reason Gayle isn’t available we need to have a plan B, I’m not sure about Perez as a lone stiker so I would expect it to be Mitro, so it could be worth giving him a game in readiness for Gayle not being available, because without Gayle we would probably have to change our game plan, so why not change that game plan against Preston who could possibly rest one or two of their players for tonight’s game.

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM

spoof

its a nice position for rafa to be in there are alot of good players warming benches at the like of city chelsea arsenal that would love to work with rafa and i am sure he could sell them the dream,

for me i would rather big money spent on great quality rather than lots more players coming and i think thats the way it will pan out

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Rotonda @23

Yep, I agree, I very much doubt that the term consolidation is within Rafa’s mindset, I would expect him to skip the consolidation season and go for top 8 from the first second of the first match, whether he would achieve that is another matter, but I could certainly see him going for it.

• Spoof

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:44 AM

beer

I agree, I doubt that we will see as much activity as we did this summer and I do believe that we have many who could hold their own in the PL and do a job so like yourself I would imagine that he will go for quality next summer rather than quantity as he did this summer.

• beermonkey

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:51 AM

spoof

there will be more outs than ins this summer
    we stillhave to offload riviere krul dejong vuckic sammy thauvin and any other dead wood we have lying around
    can see alot of youth for the academy coming in from spain as well

• cyprus

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM

I see exactly what you mean man but the current players are like listening.

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM

I reckon mitrovic will get a start tonight. Also colback as he’s a rotation player. Possibly astu aswel