Newcastle Is A Big Club – Good Things Are Coming

Newcastle United winger Christian Atsu was interviewed on the Newcastle web-site yesterday before the game last night against Preston when Atsu again looked a very good player and managed to hit the bar twice.

But there’s no doubt that if Atsu keeps up his good form then Rafa could take the opportunity to sign him up in January because this lad is Premier League class and can score goals too.

christian-atsu

Christian Atsu in training

The other thing with the Ghanaian International is that he just loves things at Newcastle and he enjoys working for the manager Rafa Benitez.

This is what the 24 year-old loanee from Chelsea had to say:

“At Bournemouth, I had a lot of injuries that brought me setbacks in my football career. I left in January to Malaga and when I went there I had another injury again.”

“It was so frustrating, but I thought: ‘I need to take good care of myself’.”

“I saw that I have to be responsible for these kind of things, so I tried to change how I eat, my sleep and everything.”

“I think I’m more professional, more focussed on my body than before.” “Every time, when there is a problem, you try to figure out where it is coming from.

“I found out that sometimes it’s me and I need to take good care of myself because it’s my body. My sleep, my diet, everything – I tried to change everything and I think I’m getting better.

“You can see that even though we are playing in the Championship, Newcastle is a big club.”

“Rafa Benitez stayed because he had a vision.”  “He believed the team can go up, and this is what I also believed as well.”

“I wanted to join Newcastle, and I believe good things will come.”

Christian is getting playing time at Newcastle and that was his 9th appearance with that one sensational goal he scored at Rotherham that won the game for us.

We expect Christian to score more goals this season for us and he was really unlucky not to get a goal last night.

He seems a smashing lad and will do very well at Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments very welcome.

• nut meg

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

repost
    So many candidates for MOTM but the star who shone the brightest was Mitro, an outstanding display.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:10 PM

nut meg.
    Charlie was right to knock points off for that stupid shirt carry on, pointless and totally unnecessary, he needs to reign it in.

• clinath@ed

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Any idea where Lilongwe Geordie is? If you are reading this mate give us all a shout.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Jail

Mitro was brilliant last night but stupid
    Don’t know how much red meat he had eaten beforehand – but from the word go he was at it.
    The ref who had a good game had a few words with Mitro to calm down a couple of times before and after taking his shirt off and when he took his shirt off he booked him with a smile on his face.
    before thesis second goal there was his dummy spit out when not taking the penalty.

The after his booking he pulled the hair of the lad with the rastifarian dreadlocks – could of had another booking.

Then he charged down the goalkeeper diving in with studs showing – good job he was late.

If the TOON could curb his red mist moments and still get him to play like he did last night then we could have a hell of player on our books!!!

• Mag52

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM

The situation of McClaren and also that of Pardew was similar to that of a woman planning to marry a well known wife beater.
    She knows his history of abuse and marriage breakdowns, but goes ahead anyway believing she’ll be the one to turn him around. Maybe one in ten will make a go of it and the others will end in disaster.
    The human spirit will always tend to believe something is possible even though the odds are against it. Football managers are no exception, especially after a stint out of work and getting a call from the ‘sleeping giant’ the premiership.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Charlie,

I see your point, hes an excitable sort of lad… but isn’t that what youd rather have? ppl on here clamoring for passion and all (which we had none of, before rafa came in),

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:30 PM

hes young and he’ll get it all figured out.. but ill take his insanity, rather than the lot of players we had and couldn’t be bothered to give a sh1te..

• Mag52

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:30 PM

the ‘sleeping giant’ of the premiership.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Dok
    Don’t mind the passion and the raw passion Mitro showed last night –
    but got to learn to curb the red mist i.e. – not to pull oppositions hair and run 30 yards to dive in at the keepers feet

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Mag52
    ‘sleeping giant’ if the giant awakes then it’s going to be fun and tickets will be like gold dust – I can see 60 – thousand plus wanting tickets and a waiting list for season tickets

Let the good times roll

PS love night time games the colour and atmosphere – brilliant

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Been good reading Mackems comments on Sky Sports Facebook posts in recent weeks its went from “You will struggle its a tough league” , “Brighton and Norwich will finish above you” to “Everyone in the league is rubbish which is how you are doing so well!!”

• expatmag

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Just out of interest, has Ashley been sighted at any games this season yet?

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM

LCBP…

interested to know how the mackems view their season… “its only 9 games, were just getting warmed up” perhaps?

wonder just how recent they crawled on to dry land from the ocean…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM

@dok

I imagine their fans and board are confused as to when to have the manager sacked as there are no derbies to do it on hopefully by the time they figure it out it will be too late!!

• Slank

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Charlie @ 4

His stupidity could cost us a game as his juvenile antics could earn him a red card. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that this is one of the reasons why Benetez prefers Gayle up front.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM

mag 52

pardew and mclaren are rank z lister managers who probably couldn’t believe their luck getting the gig at sjp and would have done anything.

It’s ironic how having such s—e English managers has made us end up with a world class Spanish one.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Slank
    Very true I think that’s why RAFA has reservations on starting Mitro – i.e. his debut against Arsenal a fine example.

Pity because I saw something in Mitrovich which I have not seen before – got a excellent touch on the ball and his running and movement.
    Just got to get rid of his ‘juvenile antics’ and we have a hell of a player on our hands

• WWSBRD

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Charlie
    On Mitro for everything he did right and I agree he did a lot right I think he probably showed why Rafa is justified in not picking him still

There will be plenty of patter about starting him more often again and I doubt Rafa will of changed his mind all that much

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM

WWSBRD
    Would you if you were in RAFA shoes take a chance on starting Mitrovich.

Me – No – Not at the minute – to much of a liability – but I would give him game time by bringing him on last 20 minutes.

Which ever way and what RAFA does it not going to be easy decision as Mitro is keen to get on and showed last night that he is worthy of a place on skill attitude alone BUT BUT the big thing is his temperament

• WWSBRD

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Charlie
    Nar I wouldnt either, Id give him game time if matches allowed but I wouldnt force him in for th sake of it

Its hard like because we dont see him training and, imo, he seems the type who professionalism isnt his best attribute

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Wow Mitrovic getting slated because of his aggression, I would start him, if not how is he suppose to learn to cope with the aggression he receives.

I don’t see him as a liability, yes he has his moments, but then so do many other players, he has come in with a bit of a reputation, so is watched closely in games, last night he got a silly yellow card for taking his shirt off, as for the other incidents, well surly that’s just a bit tit for tat, they showed a hell of a lot more aggression than we did, but not in a good way.

The more Mitrovic plays the better he will become, and he will get more use to the physicality and react less and less.

I don’t think he is as bad as people think, and under Rafa he looks fitter, slimmer and a lot less volatile.

• Bobbybee

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I think if you take Mitro’s fire out of him you’d only get half the player. He may learn to channel it better, but but he is what he is. I thought his performance last night was his best in the shirt. Apart from his goals he exhibited a fine touch for a big man – some of his flicks were brilliant and he was aware of those around him. He’s got more pace and acceleration than previously and has clearly grafted very hard to achieve that. As I said last night, his second was Beardsley-esque with great control and skill. Certainly keep Dwight on his toes if nothing else. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM

firebug
    Where was he slated? Why do u think he will get calmer the more he plays mate? Hes played a lot of football and his temper/attitude doesnt look to of changed so far

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM

WWSBRD

He is learning how not to react to certain situations, but he can’t learn anything sitting on the bench. As Bobby says last night was his best game in the shirt, and the only card was a silly yellow. He needs his aggression, it’s part of his game, but again as Bobby pointed out he can channel that better and use it in a positive way.

The slating I referred to was picking up on every negative thing from last nights game, when there was far more positive about him last night.

Like many others under Rafa he looks a different player, and was certainly less aggressive last night, sitting him on the bench will most likely frustrate him so that when he does get on he may be like a bull in a china shop, giving him plenty of playing time and he will learn how to use his aggression to benefit the team.

Just my opinion, but I think he need more playing time, and I am desperate to see him and Gayle on together, though doubtful it will happen.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Bobby,
    Making somebody keep their shirt on after a goal isn’t taking the fire out of them it’s basic discipline, it wasn’t like it was a last minute winner in a cup final. It’s great that we have a capable striker who gives us different options but we are averaging over two goals a game and have the leading scorer who knows the Championship on top form, what’s with the clamour to force Mitro in.

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jail

It’s not a clamour to force Mitrovic into the side, but he should get more than just a few sub appearances and the cup games, he is still young and need playing time to develop into the great player we are hoping he is.

Gayle is the top scorer and that’s no surprise given that he has played most of the games.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

My server went down last night just as I was beginning a post, can’t remember what I was going to say but it was along the lines of them just giving up after the sending off and going through the motions. I reckon an early goal for us Saturday would have a similar response although I can’t see another 6-0.

I’d like to see Atzu start, he was terrifying them.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM

jail,

don’t thinks its clamor, perhaps its just wanting to hit the prem running and get all cylinders firing… mitro is going to be crazy, but it wasn’t long ago w were saying we needed that, like when Nolan was here…

true he needs to pick his spots when to go insane and when not to… thatl come with age and experience…

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:33 PM

great minds firebug 🙂

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Dok

Aye mate, just waiting for mine to wake up LMAO!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:34 PM

As I said yesterday the club should fine players who take their shirts off, enough to make them notice it.

Mollify them a little by giving the fine to a charity.

• WWSBRD

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:34 PM

firebug
    Am not sure hes learning not to react to certain situations tbh mate his temperament wasnt tested last night I cant recall a moment where Preston really tried to wind him up. His yellow card was idiotic no reason for it

I dont think thats slating him mate its just evaluating his performance overall, his positives last night outweighed his negatives but that doesnt mean he was faultless

As for him getting frustrated honestly I couldnt care less if he cant deal with it then hes not right for a big club so hes not right for NUFC

As I said mate am quite happy to see more of him if he plays like he did last night but Gayle is scoring and has done better in a town shirt than Mitro has so why drop him? Gayle/Mitro partnership isnt going to happen its either or not both

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Essex

Great idea, maybe the FA should make it a rule and do away with the yellow card for it. The fines could go into grass roots football.

• Spoof

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I love Mitro, his passion and desire and willingness to do all that he can for our club gives me a nice warm feeling inside, however, Rafa won’t play two strikers and does Gayle deserve to be left out, then again Mitro has only started three games which has brought him three goals and brought us three wins, and two of those wins have been 6-0’s, what more can the lad do to justify a run in the team, Diame is certainly a better player with Mitro in the side as Mitro gives Diame what he craves, that being an opportunity to make late runs into the box, Rafa has a problem, a good problem, but a problem none the less.

• WWSBRD

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM

I dont buy the taking the fire out of him argument tbh I dont see why Mitro’s game would suffer if he was more focused on the ball than fighting players

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM

And by the way I agree with whoever said booking someone for taken their shirt off is stupid anyway, I doubt if anyone finds it offensive.

Surprised they haven’t decided to book players who kick the corner flag after scoring. Or the GK kicking a post after conceding a goal.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

If Gayles goals dry up them by all means drop him but he’s on fire and should have had a penalty on Saturday, it was Mitros temperament that gave Gayle the chance to start in the first place, it would be seriously unfair on Gayle to drop him just to keep another player happy, Gayle might pick up a knock or have a drop in form and Mitro will just have to be patient. He’ll have done himself no favours with that shirt carry on despite his performance. A lesser manager might have hauled him off there and then.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

firebug
    Someone else said the same the other day.

• firebug666

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM

WWSBRD

I noticed that when he got in a tangle with one of their defenders in their box last night, as they got up they both slapped hands, exchanging a few words and walked out of the box laughing at each other.

This is what I mean by learning to deal with aggression, last season Mitro would have been squaring up to the player and earning himself a card, or looking to get a hard revenge tackle in and getting sent off.

Especially in the first half last night they were flying in with some hard tackles, a lot of blatant fouls, yet none of our player reacted to that except the Colback one of cause.

I was proud of Mitro when he got bought down, and didn’t react.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Very good display last night – cannot complain at all about the performance. Suspect it will be a different team we play at the weekend though.

Mitro – headed goal.
    Those are the sorts of crosses he can get a good return rate on – from out wide -something he can get a run on.

Shirt off – surely the coaches tell them not to do it – I cannot imagine the coaches giving players any latitude to do this as a goal celebration.
    If Gayle is injured – and Mitro gets banned with these daft yellows and we have a crucial match to get promotion – it could cost us.
    He MUST be disobeying orders.

Penalty – do not like to see arguing about who is going to take the spot kick. Must be a designated player nominated beforehand surely.
    If the designated player has a knock or feels nervous – then fair enough – let someone else take it.
    Again Mitro probably not following orders.