Newcastle Are In Great Shape – But We Must Take Nothing For Granted

In the month of October Newcastle have won all six games scoring 17 goals and conceding only two in those games.

That’s a decent record.

🙂

And since the 1-1 draw at Villa Park when Villa equalized in the last minute of normal time, we have won the last six league games and are now top of the table.

rafa-benitez-smiling

A confident looking Rafa Benitez

We are effectively 4 points ahead of Brighton in second place and 7 points ahead of Huddersfield in 3rd place if you take our superior goal difference into account.

So it is tempting to get a little carried away and think we are going to be promoted this season.

The odds are no doubt good and that’s a huge understatement.

Sky Bet has us as 1/12 odds on to be promoted and to win the Championship outright they have us at 2/5 odds on.

And I even got well worked out calculations today from one of our readers – Stuart – who calculated in the 15 league matches we play between now and early February we will average a team in 16th position in the League,

In the 15 games we have played to date the current average position of those teams is about 11th.

My son Neil also keeps pointing out we haven’t played the weaker sides in the league yet like Blackburn, Cardiff, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest and Burton Albion, who are all somewhere in the bottom 7 places at the moment.

But we remember we played Rotherham United on October 1st, who still have only 7 points from 15 games – and they gave us some game at the New York Stadium.

It would be very easy to get carried away with our current success – we have won 14 of our last 16 games in all competitions since those first two consecutive league defeats.

But after the last two years of surprises – nearly all of them negative surprises coupled with complete incompetence in the running of the club – we prefer to follow Rafa’s advice and take each game and try to win it.

Cardiff City are 4th bottom at the moment and we play them at home and conventional wisdom would say we should win that game rather easily.

But isn’t that what we said about Wolves after we had demolished QPR 6-0?

Wolves remain the only team to beat us by two goals this season and at St. James’ Park too – and they are currently in 17th place in the league table.

Call us pessimists if you like, but we are in no way getting carried away with our current success.

The only thing that matters now is how we can beat Cardiff City on Saturday afternoon.

And then the only things that matters is how we can beat Leeds United on Sunday 20th November – our next game.

By the way that looks like a very tough game at Elland Road.

Maybe if we get 20 points ahead of the third placed team we will become more confident – maybe.

We had a compete and utter disaster last season and even though we seem to be on an upward spiral and Rafa has done a magnificent job so far – even Rafa says everything can change in one month – and we’ve seen that with Norwich and Huddersfield in the second half of October.

No, we have listened to Rafa far too much this season and believed every single word he has ever uttered.

The only thing that matters right now is how we can beat Cardiff City on Saturday and that’s final!

🙂 🙂 🙂

• mickybraham

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Will be interesting to see how much rotation goes on during November. 3 League games and a cup game. No mid week games until Hull away.

I think we all have an idea of our strongest 11 but the next few games I think, will tell us what Rafa thinks it is.

On Lascelles – No idea if he would want to go to Chelsea. Chelsea aren’t in any European competition. Therefore, only speculation as to whether a switch would see him playing in Europe.

I would like the think the lad is young enough to invest time in Newcastle especially considering he’s been trusted, and rightly so, with the captaincy this season. On the other hand, I could see chelsea being a big enough draw. Definitely should be putting a minimum of 25m asking price on his head though. Talented, young and english is a gold mine.

Over the moon Mitro has taken his chance. Although i think gayle will be straight back in when fit. It’ll take more than two games for Mitro to convince Rafa that he’s the man to lead the line. Would love him to eventually make that a reality

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM

beer
    Am not used to considering our youth team players tbh I hadn’t even considered Mbabu and Sterry. Sterry even played some games in preseason aswell

Uve sold me on it let’s sell Anita haha

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:39 PM

mickybraham,
    I like the idea that Lascelles might actually choose us over them, under a different set up he’d have been actively encouraged to move, in fact told he had to go otherwise he’d rot in the reserves.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I’d imagine Lascelles would jump at the chance to join Chelsea. Has the clubs policy changes sufficiently to reject a big bid and stand firm? A test of the Ashley/Benitez relationship were a bid to come. Personally can’t see it, I’d imagine Conte would be looking for more accomplished defenders than Lascelles.

Delighted for Mitro. Great to see him getting the goals. 1 every 73 minutes played compared to Gayle’s 1 every 96. Both fantastic records for strikers, regardless of level being played at. How best to harness both is the big question.

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM

is sterry out onloan anywhere ??

ww

like most i trust rafa but do you think there will be a bit of an outcry if he deems armstrong not good enough and flogs him

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM

beer
    I want to say Sterry is at Coventry on loan

Ooh if Rafa puts Armstrong on the scrapeheap there will certainly be 1 who’s be fuming haha but in general I don’t think there would be to much outcry

I don’t think he will get shot of Armstrong he’s really highly rated within England set up as well as ours, I think he will see some chances under Rafa

• Sav

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:03 PM

If the figure of 18 million were offered for Lascelles, surely we’d take it? Clark and Mbemba could make an equally good pairing.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Lilongwe,
    None of us know what’s in that contract of his and how much say he has on players in and out, so far so good. See Pardews been moaning again saying he wanted Llana but Carr said he wasn’t oodles enough.

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:05 PM

lilongwe

i think the final decision will be rafa and what he can then get for the money
    lachelles will be a premium top clubs need english players for europe arnt city short and have to have a smaller team registered 20 i think not the norm 25

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM

It’s all about opinions, at the discussion last night Armstrong should , like Tammy Abrahams be Barnsley main man. He isn’t and that’s a worry.

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM

I don’t think Rafa would let Lascelles leave tbh and, going by Lascelles talk since coming into the first team, he seems over the moon with this club and his position here

Plus under Rafa he has a great coach and for now we are matching the ambition of our players

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:15 PM

jail

he will keep moaning and pleading it wasnt his fault and while i will agree he was dealt a poor hand in some of the signings
    when it comes to coaching and stuff i would like him to explain why he couldnt come up with a better set play than willos head
    these are poor things were him and more

ww

i dont think he will get rid of him and i agree he will get his go he is only onloan till jan so maybe a fa cup game or 2 then back out onloan depending on who we get in the cup
    i watched a couple of england u17s when he played thought they played good football he was good think he had an assist or 2
    i hope he comes good

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Jail,
    Oodles enough? I don’t really pay attention to what Pardew says or does nowadays. Carr allegedly wanted Rudiger, who is supposedly interesting all the top sides in the Prem, none of it happened though, and it is very difficult to remove the wheat from the chaff when it comes to transfer rumors.

None of us know what Rafa’s contract says. I doubt it is watertight to a point where Rafa can refuse a transfer that is deemed to be unrefuseable (if that is a word). Rafa may not like it, and maybe he would walk. But I’m not convinced that thought process will govern club decision making policy. Maybe it will, but People argued the same in McClaren’s summer of change, and o said I wouldn’t be convinced for a minimum of 18 months. That count down hit a reset when Rafa joined, so I’ll remain cautiously optimistic, but not sold.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:17 PM

If we are still talking about the past, lets start with Pardew.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:17 PM

On second thoughts…………………

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:22 PM

beer
    U think Armstrong will see the second half of the season with us? I reckon he will be straight out on loan again if he’s not seeing much game time with his current team

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:23 PM

welsh
    Left before answering my question
    If u don’t like arguing why do u come on here?

Out of interest on the Swansea blogs do they all just agree all the time?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Ww/Firebug,

I understand the view that Lascelles might want to remain working under a very good coach like Benitez. But if Chelsea bid then surely he would also then have the opportunity to work under a great coach like Conte.

I guess the main question mark would be over whether you think Rafa has final say, regardless of the offer. I’m not yet convinced. I don’t think there will be a bid from them though, I think Lascelles is a fair way from the level Conte would want in January.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Lilongwe,
    Oodles indeed! Good. I don’t now what’s worse spelling tge, ans, tye and various others or letting the predictive text choose words like oodles when you do fat finger typing 🙁

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:26 PM

ww

my thinking was he comes back plays in fa cup and rafa can see how he is progressing then back out onloan
    but you can only play for 2 teams in a season so it will prob be training with first team till to be looked at then back out onloan

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:28 PM

There isn’t a decent Swansea blog that’s why the half wit spends so much time on here.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Ww,
    Re Armstrong, I think he will be out on loan all season. Unless there is a serious injury to one of our central at racking players, then I don’t see how he develops by coming back as I can’t see him getting time. Particularly as your favourite Mitro has been getting goals once given a chance

He still has plenty of time to cut it here, but he is better off out on loan at this stage.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM

WWSBRD

No they don’t always agree but then again they don’t talk about failures in the past either.

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Lil
    Is Conte better than Rafa? Hmm I’d rather Rafa ?

I agree I don’t think Chelsea will bid it’s a Sun report so means nothing in my book

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:32 PM

beer/Lil
    How much has Armstrong played recently? Is it likely he’d have to find a new club for loan in Jan?

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Jail

Thanks honey for the compliment better than the one last night.

Tut tut tut

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Jail,
    I hate the predictive issue , but given I’ve had to retype almost every word whilst using this new phone, I’m thinking fat fingers is really way forward(I prefer to call it small keyboard issue)!

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM

welsh
    The conversation has moved on ur the only one talking about the past now…and for someone who doesn’t like arguing u try pretty hard to come across like u want one

• bettyswallocks

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Lilongwe…… As I said earlier I really do believe that Ashley has agreed to let Rafa decide who comes and goes as long as he operates within the budget.
    He has tried to aliken running a football club to running a retail tat company and has finally realised that it’s just not the same.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Jail

How do i spend all of my time in here when I’m only on here in the evenings, some of us have got jobs to go to.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Look at those tables i can them turning, again.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Jail

Can I do my Rafa line up for next week.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Hamilton won again, he’s going to be a legend.

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:39 PM

ww

i have no idea from what i have read on here he isnt getting much time but he hit the ground running got 6 goals i think

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Ww,
    Maybe Rafa is better, not sure myself, I think Conte is probably the most tactically aware manager/head coach in the Prem at the moment. Doesn’t make him the best, but couple that with a Chelsea side that can offer him more money and a greater likelihood of high level European football and would Lascelles say no?

Arma isn’t there main striker, which isn’t great for us, but he is getting reasonable playing time at the moment. He started yesterday. I think who the alternatives are is more likely to decide whether he remains there or not.

Betty,
    I’d say the key part there is within budget. If a bid that is thought of as above the odds or extreme profit, does that then stay in Rafa’s remit?

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:42 PM

beer
    6 goals? More than Mitro isnt it? Haha

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Lil
    Ah but if he goes to Chelsea theres a high probability he will disappear like so many before him and who better to tell him that than former Chelsea manager Rafa haha again its a mute point really because Chelsea arent really after him (Man Utd scouts were at the game too but they arent preparing a bid maybe that will be next weeks exclusive though)

I can understand why Arma isnt their main man tbf he is only on loan afterall, hopefully he is able to get himself starting most games soon

• beermonkey

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:47 PM

ww

he has 3 goals just looked him up on wiki 8 games 3 goals

it says he never scored for us but i thought he scored in a cup game for us

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Beer/WW,
    He has 3 goals….. So less than Mitro…. 1 every 226 minutes, 3 times worse than Mitro’s record this season.

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:49 PM

welsh
    I take it u arent planning on answering me so I assume we have reached the same stumbling blocks I reached with Jib so hows about a deal?

In the future u dont tell me that I cant discuss what I want to discuss on here and I will go back to not trying to have discussions with u? Keeps us both happy surely? Plus Ive already told u how to get around the topics u dont like now so u should feel no need to try and stop debates (mine or others)

Fair deal?