Newcastle Player Starting To Show Some Good Maturity

22 year-old Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic produced the goods against Preston for the second tine in a short four days when he scored another brace, this time at Deepdale, to allow Newcastle to win a tightly contested game at Deepdale by a score of 2-1.

Newcastle were able to hold off a strong Preston surge in the final twenty minutes of the game to get all 3 very valuable points and we stay 3 points clear of Brighton and essentially 7 points ahead of 4th placed Huddersfield Town.

aleksandar-mitrovic-salutes-fanes-at-end-deepdale

Aleksandar Mitrovic at end of the game yesterday acknowledging fans

And Mitro showed some self-control and maturity in the first half and throughout the game as the Preston defenders needled him in the first half.

But he didn’t take the bait but he did score two good second half goals. to show his class –  another great game from the former Anderlecht and Partizan Belgrade striker.

Rafa will have a headache as to which striker to choose for our next game against Cardiff City next Saturday afternoon at home – between Dwight Gayle or Mitrovic.

Dwight was not available yesterday with a hamstring worry but it would be  a pity if he loses his place to Mitro after already scoring 11 Championship goals this season.

It would also be a pity if Mitro is dropped because of his two outstanding performances in the last two games and he’s scored 4 goals too.

Over to you Rafa.

🙂

Mitro said this when asked if he thought he would start against Cardiff:

“The gaffer will choose.” “And if I am on the bench I will try to fight for my place.” “That’s all I can do.”

“I knew the game would be hard so I tried to stay focused.” “I knew I wouldn’t have a lot of chances so I stayed focused and when they come to me I scored.”

“I enjoy my relationship with the supporters a lot.” “I arrived here and I have a specific relationship with them.”

“It is always nice when they are singing your name and the feeling is amazing.” “I hope to give them goals and help them on the pitch.”

“We are winning games and when you win hard games and take three points the confidence, mentality and mood in the dressing room is always good.”

“We have to keep trying to work hard for every training session and stay top of the league.” “That is where we want to be at the end of the season.”

The Newcastle fans just love Mitro and chanted his name at the end of the game and the photo above is the 22 year-old acknowledging the terrific 56000 traveling fans at Deepdale yesterday.

They continue to do Newcastle proud.

• Bobbybee

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Paul, never done pessimism myself. Even last season I was convinced we’d survive until the moment we were relegated. ? Anyone looking for doom n gloom this season will be disappointed imo. I get the ‘realism’ bit, but this season realism is winning the league and I intend to enjoy every second of it. Seen nowt this season to worry us even when we’ve lost.

• JackBall

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Gayle will sit on Saturday. No need to risk anything with the two weeks off following.

Always was confused at how worried everyone gets about missing a game for the 5 yellows. Especially on our team, just about everyone will sit once in a while anyway.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:16 PM

He must of hated being in the same room as Sissoko after his comments on bigger clubs.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Bobbybee,
    Before last April we’d had nothing to be optimistic about for four years.

• JackBall

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:22 PM

I agree with Bobby. I thought we’d stay up. Was miserable we went down, but now a new optimism makes me truly feel it was the best thing that could happen. Although, must now stress every game to ensure a prompt return.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:27 PM

I knew we were down after the Norwich defeat but remained hopeful until the end. I wasn’t really that disappointed to be honest as a new exciting chapter has opened up at the toon. People can worry all they want about what Ashley may or may not do. I honestly can’t see that he doesn’t realise that the club and his money would implode if Rafa walked due to a stitch up.

• Bobbybee

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Jail, and I was waiting for something like this to happen. Always knew we’d come good eventually. 🙂

• JackBall

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM

You guys play the long game. Think it is harder to build up from the Championship (look at Fulham and QPR). My confidence that Rafa would stay was not as strong, but more hopeful. How different would this season look if he left?

• nufc786

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Newcastle fans at Preston

Found this on twitter. Young Preston lad vloging and there is a hell of a noise coming from our end of their stadium.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Jack
    Funny I was not that gutted more relieved that a new chapter was opening

Getting pretty fed up going week after week knowing what the outcome was going to be

Week after week players going through the motions – only bright light on the field was Townsend and of course RAFA

Needed a clear out and new direction and hopefully/looks like we are on that route

And finally I think the penny dropped for Ashley

• AncientC

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM

NUFCPaul, here was one from my good self, this was the day we lost to Huddersfield (not as bad as some though).

AncientC // Aug 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM

“I voiced my concerns the day Rafa was appointed. Benitez obviously has talents and the credentials to back it up, but sometimes the man and his brand, do not fit certain clubs.

I hope I am proven wrong… I have grown fond of Benitez, but I harbour doubts that a defensive manager will ever be right for Newcastle.”

I am able to laugh at myself, looking back at the one now.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Jack Ball,
    I watched the Championship highlights last night and SJP would have looked like a bigger version of Ewood park, thoroughly depressing. Stuart Pearce would have been the manager with Churnley and Carr dictating policy.

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM

I noticed ed mentioned the 56000 traveling fans, & not 5600. I doubt it Preston stadium holds 56000 supporters

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Jail
    I’ve seen u trying to sell Gayle off once or twice mate, am curious if he scores as many goals as u say why would we sell him off?

U also say Hanley/Clark weren’t given 5 year deals to be sold when we are promoted but Gayle was?

• Jib

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

My uncle resigned from being a sewage worker.
    He got sick of just going through the motions.
    😎

• JackBall

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Watching that video nufc786 posted and regardless of the amount, they were pretty loud.

Jail – That was exactly my fear. Loosing Townsend was much better than loosing Rafa.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:15 PM

What do you call cheese that isn’t yours?

Nacho Cheese.

Ha ha ha

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM

WW…,
    I’m concerned he won’t be good enough for the PL. I think we’ll bring a proven PL striker in early summer, Hanley and Clarke imo were brought in as uncomplaining back up players in the PL.

• frankie

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Ed there’s no significance in how far ahead of the fourth team we are, just the third team.

• sing in the corner

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:24 PM

nufc786
    Don’t it just make your heart swell in your chest, with pride, seeing and hearing the toon army away following owning the ground like that again?? 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Jail….”People can worry all they want about what Ashley may or may not do. I honestly can’t see that he doesn’t realise that the club and his money would implode if Rafa walked due to a stitch up”

There’s enjoying the moment mate, then there’s becoming what you seemed to be so against for so long. You’ll give it a name soon enough, OV was copyrighted though.

I’m enjoying this season. I’m enjoying the fact that there’s reason for belief again.

I didn’t enjoy reading one of Ashleys biggest critics saying that as fans we basically had no power against him as owner. Mainly as I don’t agree with it. I’m actually surprised you do.

Let’s enjoy the forced change, for now it’s working well, I hope it continues and that lessons have been learnt. This isn’t the first time we’ve been here though, only to find out they were good words, at a convenient time where fan and owners needs met.

Maybe he’s softening up?

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Jail
    So Gayle got a 5 year deal, the number 9 shirt, 10mill spent on him, out scoring and performing Mitro but he’ll still get moved on? Not sure ur right there mate on current standings I think it’ll be ur boy Mitro who finds himself with question marks come season end

On Hanley he imo is the championship defender we brought in to be back up, Clark had a bit more pedigree and is proving himself well but come summer I won’t be surprised if one leaves rather than the much better Mbemba

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Ibiza,
    Firstly I never ever said we had no power as fans against him, we had all the power in the world just that people weren’t prepared to use it, too many internal dislikes of different fan groups. A majority of people prepared to boycott had already stopped going and a lack of a strong popular figure were the downfall of any worthwhile protests.
    As for OV, I believe that it’s a completely different set of circumstances, last time it was built on sand, OV was saying how great things were despite a CB not being bought with the knowledge that Stephen Taylor was made of glass, an injured Santon being bought while right sided MF Ryan Taylor played as LB. Rafa has come in with his solicitors and demanded that things are done right, he won’t be bought off with an eight year deal.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM

WW…,
    We’re not agreeing on much these days, life was so much simpler when we didn’t have to talk about football 🙂
    No, I think Mitro is going to be world class once his heads sorted.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Ibiza
    Go and be irrelevant somewhere else.
    There’s a good lad.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Jib
    Do you think if we stayed up.
    1. Would RAFA have stayed ?
    or
    2. Would Ashley if RAFA stayed given him a free hand ?

Me I think it was a blessing in disguise being relegated – look at the maces – promised the earth got nowt.

I think we would of struggled to attract top players and if we did would be at inflated prices.

Now I think we have the momentum if we go up the club supporters manager, players and fans are feeling positive about the direction we are going and I think this could help in attracting a higher calibre of player

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Jibberish,
    Is there any need for that. What makes you not a usual suspect?

• nufc786

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM

sing in the corner

Yeah man… its great even if we are in the championship. The appointment of Rafa has given us renewed optimism that can bring these kinds of away game atmospheres and hopefully more rocking SJP atmospheres .

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Jail
    Haha tbh I quite like not agreeing with u makes life more interesting but boring when everyone agrees

World class? Not many world class target men around these days mate and Rafa certainly doesn’t seem to trust him that much…sounds very similar to what people say about Balotelli though

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Ibiza
    But everything is Rosen right now u can forgive people buying in fully again, am with u those scars are still front and centre for me I don’t think Ashley has done anything by choice yet (a negative view I feel is earned)

Everything good Ashley has done with us has eventually soured…

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:03 PM

WW…,
    In an ideal world we’d see Hanley moved on nd Mbemba as back up but just can’t ee-and-me it being realistic option.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Jail…I agree that the circumstances do seem different this time around. I don’t really even need convincing, I’m happy and seeing how things go.

I’d have thought you might understand someone with an alternative unpopular outlook that most didn’t agree nor understand, and perhaps fight their case that they may actually not be a mackem, they just don’t agree with the masses at this particular time.

On the comment regarding fan power, it was an impression I was left with from reading the post, couldn’t even tell you when it was made, it read awfully defeatist. Perhaps misinterpreted though.

Jib…I much prefer my irrelevance alongside yours.

• BandB

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Back in March time, Ashley had really got no further than discussing with his PR guru which of the made-up football board would carry the can for the relegation they saw coming.
    So much so that it took a while to sink in that Rafa Benitez had actually approached them to manage the club. Jail talks about those, Tedious being the prime mover, who argued we could never attract a top manager when the truth is it had never occurred to anyone the club itself, even at that point, to try.
    We know that the club and Rafa are of one mind about the need to get the club back into the top fight.
    Beyond that we don’t know. Rafa needs to turn is into a club competing for silverware or his career gamble will have failed. But it is far from proven that Ashley has had a serious change of heart.
    wasn’t he supposed to have had that when he employed another junk manager in McClaren?
    This is Rafa’s initiative, backed with funds from sales and a reduced wage bill. And it sure is better than the Villa route.
    When McClaren became manager, a siren vice on this blog counselled Mr Ashley to put his purse away as we didn’t need to make any signings. It argued Supermac alone would transform a nearly relegated squad into contenders.
    Now we hear the same counsel from Jail for Ashley.
    I am not comparing Benitez with Pulis or Pardew, and you know it.
    But both have squads at their disposal far superior to the one we have just sold.
    The last thing any of us want is that PR guru whispering “the fans think Rafa is a miracle worker and they already think the squad is a top ten certainty”.
    Because, let’s not forget, the bulk of us had us down for a top six challenge last season.
    Nothing wrong with enjoying the ride this season. I’m not the one constantly harping on about next season with not to be gainsaid predictions that we are a top ten club already.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Ee-and-me??? See

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Yo…I’m delighted fans are getting swept up in it. That’s the point of it all. There are two things for me though. The first is as you say, “Everything good Ashley has done with us has eventually soured…” Which isn’t’ to say don’t enjoy the moment, but why not keep an eye to the future? Can people not be excited whilst others discuss what if’s?

The second bit is giving those who are still more concerned than others a little bit of understanding. Who says when it’s time to be concerned or not? Whilst things are looking up (in a big way too), we are a relegated club with all the big steps still to take.

No one viewpoint is correct, surely we need some perspective. I’m delighted we’re filling stadiums with happy fans, I’m also delighted there are still fans poking holes and asking questions.

As far as the blog is concerned, this swing in events should be really healthy for it. Sadly, it seems far too easy to file things in the, “well, they’re not happy so they must be a mackem” folder.

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Jail
    No Mbemba won’t be back up in the PL he’s already proven he can play there and well but Rafa is aiming for European football (CL lets face it) and cups so he wants a squad, Mbemba is young and wants to improve, he will be rotated in

I don’t see Rafa wanting to get rid of a lad. U talk about world class players but I don’t see how Mitro is more likely to get to that level than Mbemba quite the opposite Mbemba doesn’t have the attitude/professionalism problem and is a modern day player

• Jib

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM

WWSBRD
    Of the starters and subs yesterday

Darlow, Yedlin (Hanley 90+5), Lascelles, Clark, Dummett, Hayden, Shelvey, Ritchie (Atsu 90+2), Gouffran, Diame, Mitrovic (Perez 86).

only Hanley , Hayden and Atsu have little or no PL experience.

• WWSBRD

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Ibiza
    As I say mate we are sharing a boat haha

Am fully behind everything Rafa does but do I believe Ashley has changed well no I don’t. It’s all been reaction imo none of this was planned 100 miles from it. McClaren was to keep us in the PL and get us that tv money for 8 years that was the plan

I hope Ashley is now signed up to Rafas plan but it’s far from what he’s wanted through his ownership of the club so far

I must admit I don’t question it until it’s brought up mainly because it brings me down and I’ve had my fill of hating football lately and I am throughly enjoying this holiday

Most seem to of softened it seems but the question marks are still there I think just quieter now. No one is a Mackem for asking though not to thinking fans at least

• bettyswallocks

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Jail….. Excuse me being thick but what or who is OV?

• WWSBRD