Italian Player Compliments Rafa Benitez’ Newcastle Side

Garry Monk’s Leeds United beat Norwich City 3-2 on penalties in the 4th round of the EFL Cup and along with Newcastle are the only two non Premier League sides remaining in the EFL Cup.

Leeds drew Liverpool at Anfield and Newcastle drew Hull City at the KCOM Stadium and the ties will take place on Tuesday, November 29th.

Leeds’ 22 year-old Italian U-21 goalkeeper Marco Silvestri has been taking about how Leeds United are starting to come through under new manager Garry Monk and they are currently in 8th place on 24 points – 10 points behind Newcastle who lead the league.

marco-silvestri-leeds-united_3183011

Marco Silvestri – Leeds United 22 year-old goalkeeper

After the International break our first game is at Leeds United on Sunday 20th November and that looks like it will be a tough game for us at Elland Road.

We play 11 games between 20th November and 2nd January – which is 43 days – incredible.

Silvestri has been talking on gianlucadimarzio.com and he has offered Rafa Benitez’ Newcastle side a huge compliment after he started to talk about Leeds United:

“In the league we are only three points from the play-offs, so the team is doing well.” “I think the goal is just to point to the play-offs. We try.”

“As for the cup, however, that has now become very complicated because there are only two teams from the Championship, us and Newcastle.”

Although Benitez’s team is first, and is already a Premier League team in my opinion.” “It will be difficult for us to go through but you never know in football.”

Newcastle have surged in October and we won all 6 games last month including the win against Preston in the EFL Cup and 5 league games.

We play Cardiff City at St. James’ Park on Saturday and we need the win in that game, with the next game a very tough one at Elland Road.

• Graeme

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:27 PM

In Rafa we trust!!

• BandB

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Seems we are all out of ideas.
    Anyone fancy cracking yet another puerile sheep joke?
    Or explaining how you never said how Pardew was great, but you’ll deck anyone who disagrees that he was just about average?
    Or discussing the calorie intake of a French footballer?
    Anyone want to suggest that only those with a season ticket can read a match ( I went for 20 years and I can tell you, you can give a man a season ticket but you can’t begin to explain to him what he’s watching.)
    Anyone want to say “Brave New World” ?
    Or “Methinks”?
    Anyone want to say “neggar”? Or “apologist”? Or “happy clapper”?
    Anyone want to chip in with “why can’t you all stop fighting and just agree with me?’
    Anyone have an ailment to mention?
    Anyone think there a constituency to be won in saying “get back to the kitchen sink pet”?
    Or claim to speak for the stubbornly, and increasingly silent, silent majority?
    Anyone want to claim they are 12 and from India?
    Anyone want to crack yet another puerile sheep joke, then immediately appeal to the target to talk footy and get them out of the two hour blog kill they know they’ve just invited on themselves…again?
    Anyone think its okay to present themselves as a long time champion of free speech and against the grain opinion, and then start saying who can and can’t express an opinion they don’t agree with because their daft game is going well?
    Anyone want to pop up with an utterly unreadable and desperately adolescent rehash of the same pompously priggish hatchet job on the same couple of people, under two dozen different names?
    Anyone want to mention again how they escaped hell on Tyneside for a well lubricated existence somewhere hot with a mail order wife?
    Anyone want to run a blog where anything goes, smugly safe behind his prized American servers, while being happy to hand the names of those who breach British laws to the police?

The reason this blog HAS died is because it long ago became a shameful blot on this city. One that no-one who posts on here would dream of admitting they did to someone in real life.
    Serving no purpose at all.
    We all have made it what it is.

• manxpie

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:12 AM

ya forgot the BOOM!!!

• sing in the corner

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM

B and B
    What’s the problem? The blog is just a blog, it’s doing ok, no different to me.

Ok, is that you off then? See ya..x

• expatmag

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Bloody hell….drama queen ….lol

• manxpie

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:51 AM

it seems someone was very happy when the club was in total disarray then strange that like!?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:59 AM

I’m sorry did I miss something, when did the blog die?

• manxpie

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:04 AM

a long long time ago essex when it became a big shameful blot on the city, do keep up, 🙂

at least i’m of the hook as jesper once said i was the reason but have a look at that list!!!

• lesh

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM

BandB

You might like to think about running a Blog competition based on your missive – name the ‘offending’ posters.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:23 AM

I’m trying to work out how many of those platitudes don’t apply to me. Can’t remember if I’ve made a sheep joke.

Lesh again I ask did you get my reply to your honorable gesture with the frozen kipper.

• manxpie

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:24 AM

the reason it’s quiet is we are doing so well (not much to moan/debate about) plus not everyone is seeing the games
    but don’t let that get in the way of a very bitter rant

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:57 AM

Too quiet again, time for bed.

Good night to anyone around still.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:10 AM

…….or perhaps there’s just little obviously to complain about. We are relegated, that in itself was a disgrace, perhaps forgiven by many but not forgotten almost all, but since then the manager, his staff, the players, and owner have bordered on exemplary.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:21 AM

BandB

Nailed it.

You forgot to mention ‘anyone suggesting a pole’. The Blog has diminished, even from prior to when I joined four years ago and for all the reasons you state. It is wholly pointless and a haven for the damned, diseased and destitute. Plus a whole lot more that are drawn moth like to express an opinion, extricate themselves of a grudge or meaninglessly feed their self esteem. I am guilty. I have been drunk in charge of a key board, deliberately offensive and peddled platitudes, but hey that’s life. I am not here to win but express my unfathomable support for an organisation that does not know I exist, in a city that I have rarely experienced and on a user forum that is deliberately impersonal. I do not know why and my life may even improve if I did not, but here I am.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:21 AM

The blog was at it’s peak when Ashley was just starting to make it obvious that he had no intentions of delivering success and there were many who weren’t prepared to believe it. This imo caused the biggest discussion.
    BandB,
    Where have I ever sa

• Lindisfarne

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:27 AM

BTW nice new mobile format.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM

said who can or can’t express an opinion. Strongly disagreeing with someone calling the manager, who so far seems to have rescued the club from the abyss, a “fat Spanish waiter” has got nothing to do with the prevention of free speech. Getting pee’d off with someone for posting a big smirking smiley face after you concede on the stroke of half isn’t either. What do you want from the club at the moment.
    And Rafa bingo isn’t stupid it’s the best game since battleships!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:39 AM

Looking at the scenes from Ewood park on Saturday night with banners and walk outs while they head towards league one, that would have been us if Rafa hadn’t of stepped in. Although I think that would have been preferable to clinging on for survival and pointlessly existing in the PL under a Mcardew surely we have to be glad there maybe exciting times ahead under a manager who has rewritten the rules.

• The overrated Frenchman

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:43 AM

Lindisfarne@14. Me too. (I think we got a mention expat; “somewhere well lubricated and hot”)

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:52 AM

ToF,
    Good morning, you never did answer my question, who would you have preferred over Benitez?

• Average_Contents

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:53 AM

I don’t think that particular barb was aimed in your direction although if you feel the need to think it was then….

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:56 AM

A_C,
    Really, who else has got a stupid game at the moment?

• Average_Contents

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Ok, I’ll give you that lol. I didn’t make that connection with you.

I thought mention of a daft game was in reference to something else that’d been previously mentioned.

• clinath@ed

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:10 AM

I like saying “methinks”

• The overrated Frenchman

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM

Jail. No I never did, because I couldn’t give you an acceptable answer. My preference would have been an up-and-coming manager with fresh ideas and looking to prove himself rather than trade on past (perceived) glory. Who that could or should have been I don’t know. So I’ll concede that, but I won’t back down on my assertion that Charnley/Carr/Benitez ultimately took us down and shouldn’t now beyond reproach for having a winning record in what is, quite frankly, a very average quality competition. All this hype about how strong the Championship has become is a complete crock – if you take off the rose-coloured glasses and actually watch the football at an objective level.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Jail

Were you not advocating Moyes before the past three managers?

I might be wrong and apologies if I am. There is no one more capable than Rafa and I am not saying that because he is in situ and doing what appears to be a really good job, or because I wanted him when it looked like he was leaving Napoli. Its the grade of Manager he represents, there are not many Elites and none available that could work on a budget.

The overrated Frenchman [fist pump]

• Mag52

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:30 AM

Underrated.

That might have been nice, but an up and coming manager would not have had the clout with Ashley to make the changes that Rafa has made, and it’s these changes which give us some hope for the future.

• Mag52

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:31 AM

That should have been ‘Overrated’.

• Average_Contents

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:35 AM

Overrated

I can’t see how Benítez can be named along with those mentioned as taking us down when shteve had already dug the hole so deep that it was near impossible to climb out of.

He never had a magic wand.

You also forgot the main culprit. The fat slug himself.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM

Mag52

The French would say he was Underrated.

• Tsunki

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Bandb – Top Rant! 😀

I think I was in there somewhere around the “adolescent” part ha ha but yes I think there are many reasons why the blog is no fun any more. Familiarity breeds contempt so they say, and sometimes you forget you did that joke or made that swipe before, you know. We’re all part of the problem, I admit my part.

I think the blog at the moment suffers from a curiously hampered air of optimism. The phantom stay-aways hang over the head of those accused of driving them off for not toeing the party line of complete euphoria, and having a different angle makes you a bully. A fine paradox, in my opinion. I don’t feel disposed to join in much these days, even to have a bit of fun and a rise. No doubt a great heaving sigh of relief from the silent majority.

• The overrated Frenchman

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Average – Yes, Benitez was on a hiding to nothing when he took over. But he did fail, ultimately. A more imaginative approach to team selection and tactics might, and I say might, have given us a better chance. Anyway lads, it’s drinking time here in this hot place and I need to lubricate. Fare thee well.

• martoon

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:09 AM

I’m feeling left out because I don’t think I got a mention @2 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM

ToF,
    Thirteen major trophies is perceived glory.?How can you associate the ten games Benitez had in charge with the combined five year efforts of Ashley/Llambias/Churnley/Carr/Pardew and Mctuft

• Davies

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:44 AM

The blog is fine. It’s the comments section that’s embarrassing.

• Jib

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Which total bastid was discussing the calorie intake of a French footballer?