Man Of The Match Poll – Very Close

At the time of writing there’s only about 40 votes between Aleksandar Mitrovic and Christian Atsu for our Man of the Match for the game yesterday against Cardiff City that we won 2-1 -with Mitro just in the lead.

Of course both players were involved very early in the game yesterday – after only three minutes – when Mitro set up Atsu nicely and the Ghanaian slammed the ball home to make it 1-0.

Atsu was only starting because Matt Ritchie was suspended for one game after picking up his 5th yellow card at Preston last Saturday.

aleksandar-mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic in action against Cardiff

But Christian showed the potential he has with an excellent first half performance and Aleksandar continued his excellent form of the previous two game,s although this time he didn’t manage to score.

Both players had very good games.

And in third place is classy center-back Ciaran Clark who is playing near his best form since he came to Newcastle.

chistian-atsu-scores-cardiff

Christian Atsu after scoring first goal

It shows how players playing in a relegation sides can look poor when their confidence is low, but once that confidence is restored they look completely different players.

That’s what has happen with Ciaran who we bought from Aston Villa for just £5M and we always thought Ciaran looked a classy player.\

But yes – he made mistakes last season when Villa were relegated with Newcastle.

He’s turning out to be a terrific bargain for Newcastle – wonder how much he is worth today?

It was another great win yesterday – the 8th in a row!

Please vote if you haven’t already done so.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:37 PM

• bettyswallocks

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM

There’s only one thing worse than being a fool and that’s fooling with a bee.
    No point trying to be a wanna bee either.

• martoon

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Jib @1 – the flags did look great and what I thought was a great improvement from previous displays was that they were spread across the whole of the Gallowgate rather than just in the corner – it looked really impressive.

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM

It really does look great, Jib.
    A clear and indisputable sign that things are being done better and that people are beginning to come together and enjoy things again.
    You made me feel better, as I was unaware. Thanks for sharing.
    I appreciate it.
    …….

I bet you feel awful now 🙂

• Harley

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

I thought it was really hard to pick a motm yesterday. No one really stood out. Mitrovic had a great first half but nothing really second half. Atsu and Goufran got the goals but don’t think they had great games.
    No one had a bad game (other than Perez) but no one really shone.
    I went for Clark as he didn’t put a foot wrong and looked a good threat going forward.

• sing in the corner

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Harley
    Spot on. Over the whole game I’d have said Clark as well.
    The fact that 32 folk voted for Perez, Anita or Diame makes a bit of a farce of Ed’s MOM threads like.
    Blind, insane, or makems?

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Harley,

I wish posts like this started debates. Clark seems to have won over some doubters. He was in danger of being one of those players who lost his way under a terrible set-up at his old club and drifted into undeserved obscurity.
    It’s fantastic that we are now a club where a player can come to rebuild his career, something that hasn’t been the case for a long time.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM

I assume that crane in the background is now redundant as certain explayer’s ego’s no longer need to be hoisted into the ground.

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM

sing

Mackems?
    I’m sure you must have stood or sat next to that fan who groans and curses “gerrim off” every time someone having a blinder touches the ball while screaming “c’mon my son” everytime his favourite donkey boots it into touch.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Ed

Just a passing thought but it would be interesting in the MOM voting stats from all were totted up to see who was in the lead overall.

Although I can sense a huge groan from you at the thought of this exercise, it would be a lot of work.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Bill
    I hope that remark wasn’t aimed at
    Shearer or Harps

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Jib

No I was thinking of more recent ex-players. I won’t name them but one had a lot of SSSSSS’s in his name. 🙂

I assume your comment was tongue in cheek as I never thought of either of them having ego’s that exceeded their accomplishments.

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM

I notice Harps has started getting the odd Look North gig since his excellent job as an informed and humorous pundit/co-commentator on Radio Five Live a few weeks ago.
    Local talent spotters they are not.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Bill does his name rhyme with “cup of cocoa” ?

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM

I think we may have the beginnings of an abusive song ready for when Spurs visit SJP next season.
    😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Further to a comment I made on a previous thread.

Votes are often cast on the players who score goals, but GKs who make match winning saves, which are just as vital, don’t often figure unless it’s games like the Krull v Spurs one.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Jib

Indeed it does, I look forward to that song. 🙂

• sing in the corner

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Band B
    I certainly have.. But to pick someone for your man of the match who has spent less than 5 or 10 minutes on the pitch, maybe touched the ball a couple of times .. ie. a late sub…. is a bit questionable.
    It’s all about opinions…etc etc but anyone picking Perez over nigh on anyone else on the pitch is just…. well, wrong.

• Toonfan8

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Watching Sevilla vs Barcelona…Sevilla is playing some fantastic football, great to watch. Their manager is great personality, he completely changed them and they are dictating tempo against Barca…

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Bugger…

I just spotted I am blithely blogging alongside Essex, Sing and Jib and being ignored by the blog’s proven most popular debate instigators.
    Am I becoming Jail for Ashley?
    Luckily for me I’ve avoided the Charlie Carioli arm round the shoulder, the squirty flower in the face, the dropped trousers to reveal my spotty boxers, the comedy kick up the behind and the bucket of water over the head.
    Unlike Jail.

• G

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM

I agree about the individual plaudits on this match, it was really hard to pick one player over the 90 mins. I went for Atsu, but was torn over Clark. Those few moments of individual brilliance edged it for me, purely because we were playing a Warnock side.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM

sitc
    Welcome to democracy

• sing in the corner

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Band B
    Yeah I love Steve Harper, but bless him TV sports presenting or reporting is far beyond his capabilities! I cringe at his delivery!

• sing in the corner

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Jib
    Will the USA be realising the truth of that little phrase next week?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

BandB

Hello how are you.

As you once pointed out to me just because you are not being directly addressed it doesn’t mean you are being ignored.

You are joining in the general chat just as I am.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

cough cough
    it’s actually spelled (spelt ?)

Cairoli

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:50 PM

You should get some Vicks on the Jib.
    You might die.

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:50 PM

I didn’t Google it.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Beeware fellow bloggers not to fall into the honey trap. The sting is always there waiting.

• Spoof

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Top of the league, quarter finals of the league cup, fans ecstatic, top scorer in the league (dropped, what a squad ), phenomenal manager, an owner who appears to be supporting the manager, this is what NUFC are, what a time to be a fan, is this really happening or am I about to be woken up from this dream, the best dream that I have ever had, long may this continue, what makes it better is that the manager will not feel that this is success, he will want more, much more, what a great feeling this is, long may it last

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 PM

sing

I quite like him.

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM

betty

Wouldn’t it be nice though, if you could be charming if you tried?
    Jib can be.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Jib

Isn’t Spelt a form of wheat.

Spelt, triticum speltum, was widely grown in Roman times. It is an ancestor of modern wheat and its genetic heritage is a cross of wild grasses and early cultivated cereals.

Very early footballers may well have used it.

The last sentence added as this is a football blog. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Oh well there you go Olive branch declined, so be it.

• Jib

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM

sing
    surely not one African American , Hispanic , Muslim or woman will vote for DT !

• BandB

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM

essex

I did say that to you. And its true.
    I always read what you write. I can’t always think of a reply. It seems I’m not alone.
    We are all guilty of taking more than we listen.
    There is no need of an olive branch between you and I, if you meant me.
    You are a poster, like me, with opinions.
    Vive le difference!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:06 PM

BandB

I did but I happily retract that comment, as you say.

Vive le difference.