Holloway – This Player’s A Genius – A Rolls-Royce Footballer

Ian Holloway is a fan of Jonjo Shelvey’s – that’s clear – as he’s said today the former Charlton, Liverpool and Swansea player is a genius and simply the best player Ian has ever seen play in the Championship.

That’s high praise indeed, but to be fair, Jonjo has improved a lot this season under Rafa Benitez – a manager he  seems to trust and admire.

jonjo-shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey – has improved a lot under Rafa Benitez

Jonjo has improved his consistency this season and he now is ready for every game and always puts in a good shift for the team – so that’s a huge improvement in his game.

His skill was never ever in doubt and he’s a class player and when in full swing he’s simply a brilliant player to watch.

This is what Ian has said today about who seems to be his favorite player:

“Shelvey is the first name on the team sheet.” “He’s a genius – the best I’ve ever seen play in the Championship.”

“He can get it off the centre-halves, dictate play and go beyond into the final third.”

“When he gets into shooting positions he also has the quality to either score or find one of his mates.”

“Shelvey is a Rolls-Royce of a footballer.” “

“I tipped Dwight Gayle  to be the league’s top scorer – he’s pure quality – and he hasn’t let me down, firing in 11 already.”

Good words there on Dwight Gayle from Ian.

There are reasons why Jonjo is so improved this season and a lot of it is down to the player himself.

He spent the summer getting super-fit with a personal trainer and reduced his weight after he had lost his place in the Newcastle team last season after Rafa came in.

And the £12M signing from Swansea knows clearly that any drop in his form, consistency or commitment  could cost him his starting place in the Newcastle team.

Credit must go manager Rafa Benitez and to Jonjo himself for his vast improvement in both form and attitude this season.

It’s great to see.

Here is Holloway’s Championship Team of the Season so far and the Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles and striker Dwight Gayle are also included.

Al-Habsi (Reading), Bruno (Brighton), Jansson (Leeds), Lascelles (Newcastle), Malone (Fulham), Kachunga (Huddersfield), Shelvey (Newcastle), Mooy (Huddersfield), Knockaert (Brighton), Abraham (Bristol City), Gayle (Newcastle).

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM

wasn’t as effective on saturday without Colback doing the fetching and carrying had to play far to deep

• sparky55

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:08 AM

hibbit

Isn’t that always the case though with players like Shelvey…give him the ball anywhere on the park and he’s dangerous…as him to get the ball and he’s not so hot.

Remember Davy Mac and Zico martin…just like the old days! 🙂 🙂 hahahaha

• martoon

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:09 AM

hibbit @1 – I completely agree, I always try and defend Colback when he gets a lot of stick on here but Saturday’s game illustrated exactly what he brings and what we were missing.

• martoon

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:38 AM

I am a blog killer 😉

• manxpie

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Well Holloway obviously never seen the great fabrice pancrate play!

Shelvey is only gonna get better too imo, he’s at the perfect club with the perfect manager and if ya look at Wat Swansea have turned into now it’s no wonder he went of the rails there!

• Jib

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM

The rest of what Sissoko said to
    Foot Mercato

“It was a complicated summer.
    But today I’m very happy with everything that happened to me.
    Having signed for Tottenham, a great club, now I feel very good in the head and physically. I feel I have progressed so that’s good.
    My desire was to stay in the Premier League.
    Again, I think the English league is the one that is closest to my qualities.
    The fact I was able to stay there [in England] was a very good thing for me because I know this championship.
    I have the chance to play for a great English club. I am happy.
    It is up to me to give everything to make this a great season individually and collectively.”
    Sissoko has yet to score or provide an assist during his nine appearances for Spurs so far, though he has already received a retrospective three-game suspension for an elbow – and Tottenham legend Glenn Hoddle has been among those to criticise the midfielder’s performances.

Though Tottenham play a technical style of football, Sissoko insists he has the “qualities” necessary to succeed at White Hart Lane – and will not change the way he plays.

“I try to bring my qualities, whether that’s to move the game forward with my speed,” he continued.
    I play with my qualities. If the club recruited me, that’s why.
    I do not see why I would try to invent a new style.
    They know my qualities and that’s why they came for me.”

• reilly

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM

whispers of the club looking to expand the ground.

• Tinman

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Who says

• Hail Wor Ashley

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Never take much notice of Holloway, the chancer’s chancer, full to the brim with drivel and cliche.

Shelvey just needs to keep his head down and continue doing what he has so far this season. I backed him beginning of the season always maintaining if he is focused he’s a cut above, when many others were writing him off.

Still plenty of work to do, because once you have a few incidences of unprofessional behaviour – the way he left the Swans, his last few performances for them and how he let himself get so out of shape so quickly here – it’s more difficult to regain that credibility for onlookers and even backers, like me, to say he’s cracked it. Most that have various issues early in their career never do put them behind for good, hopefully Shelvey is an exception. Rafa in his corner, so he’s got a great chance of fulfilling his potential.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Would take Sigurdsson from Swansea maybe he would fancy dropping down a division for a few months knowing we will be straight back up? Could be a hard season for Swansea!

Perfect for the no 10 role should have signed him years ago rather than Cabella and De Jong!

• Jib

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:04 AM

LSBP
    Good call
    The only problem being he signed a new 4 year deal last August amid rumours of a failed Everton bid of £25 million – so may be a bit rich for Rafa’s taste.

• WWSBRD

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:04 AM

LCBP
    We are crying out for a number 10 but Sigurdsson would be hard to get (the current 1 man hope for Swansea) and he owes them I’d imagine for ditching them

And tbh is he that good?

• Jib

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM

LCBP even

• toontaff2

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM

The Toon has a Rolls Royce player.
    Meanwhile Blunderland have Nissan players- a few Jokes and nayone of Note.

• Mag52

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM

With the mutterings behind the scenes still going on at Man.U., it could be that Luke Shaw and Chris Smalling might be on the move in Jan.
    Useful couple of players for us maybe if, by then, we look a good bet for a return to the Premiership.

• hibbit

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:34 AM

reilly

expand the ground ???

• Bambams

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Reilly
    Club expansion ?

Where has this come from fella

• reilly

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM

yeah, to expand the gallowgate.
    probs shite but thats whats doing the rounds.