Newcastle Teenager Gets Hat-Trick For England And 27 Goals In 40 Games

The England U-20 side are currently taking part in the Continental Cup in South Korea in preparation for the U-20 World Cup which will take place at the same venue next summer.

Adam Armstrong and Freddie Woodman are in the squad and they played their opening match this morning and they hammered Nigeria 8-1.

adam-armstrong-u-20-8-1-nigeria-celeb-goal

Adam Armstrong celebrates scoring goal today

They were four goals up by half-time with Adam Armstrong getting two and he added a third for his hat-trick in the second half to give England an overwhelming win.

Freddie was a substitute for the game with Manchester United’ Dean Henderson between the posts – he’s on loan at Grimsby Town.

So Adam shows he can score the goals for the England Youth sides and he’s played a cumulative 40 times for various age groups and scored a fantastic 27 goals – not too bad.

We’ll have to wait and see until the summer to see if Rafa Benitez has him in the Newcastle squad for next season or will send him out on loan again.

Here’s the team today with all the subs:

England U-20s: 13 Dean Henderson (Grimsby Town, loan from Manchester United); 2 Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), 6 Dael Fry (Rotherham United, loan from Middlesbrough), 5 Taylor Moore (c) (Bristol City), 14 Callum Connolly (Everton), 23 Axel Tuanzebe (Manchester United), 19 Kieran Dowell (Everton), 7 Patrick Roberts (Celtic, loan from Manchester City), 11 Dom Solanke (Chelsea), 17 Isaiah Brown (Rotherham United, loan from Chelsea), 9 Adam Armstrong (Barnsley, loan from Newcastle United)

Substitutes: 1 Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United), 22 Luke Southwood (Reading), 3 Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), 15 Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), 4 Jake Clarke-Salter (Bristol Rovers, loan from Chelsea), 16 Tafari Moore (FC Utrecht, loan from Arsenal), 8 Josh Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur), 24 Louis Reed (Sheffield United), 18 Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), 20 Ovie Ejaria (Liverpool), 12 Ademola Lookman (Charlton Athletic), 10 Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), 21 Harrison Chapman (Sheffield United, loan from Middlesbrough)

Goals: Taylor Moore 19, Adam Armstrong 20, 27, 70, Dominic Solanke 25, Callum Connolly 46, Patrick Roberts 49, 87

• martoon

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Repost:
    I’ve heard a rumour that Wolves drew up the complaint shortly after the game but the previous Wolves manager (I’ve forgotten his name) did nothing about it. However when Paul Lambert took over, he saw the complaint and thought it should be actioned hence the long delay. Only a rumour but sort of makes sense.

• Jib

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Walter Zenga

• lochinvar

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:01 PM

If Wolves are keen to make a case of this then surely Shelvey and Newcastle need to clearly state now that there is no case to answer. Unfortunately silence maybe construed otherwise or has free speech ( not the allegation of insults ) stating the position been banned by the FA ( in brackets FIFA ) ?

• Jib

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Martoon
    Zenga sacked 25 October Lambert appointed 5th November – the timeline fits.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Surely what ever he allegedly said isn’t going on the word of one player.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Tuff

I did state ‘Trophy’ but I won’t jump on your mistake.

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Budge123

Struggling to see what your problem is mate, I put:

firebug666 // Nov 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM

One other thing before I go out, Why has the player who made these allegations not been named and put under similar scrutiny?

How come he is allowed to hide in the shadows like some slimy little snake.

Right off out now.

And your reply was:

Budge123 // Nov 9, 2016 at 9:07 AM

That’s the spirit Firebug someone has been racially abused (allegedly) – so let’s brand him a slimey little snake.

Let’s victomise the accused.

Crazy response from many on this site.
    Let’s just imagine that Gayle had been abused by a Wolves player. I assume the same people would now be calling Gayle a slimey little snake?

Thought not.

Can I just point out that the player the abuse was allegedly aimed at did not make a complaint, but another player claims that he heard it. He did not however bring it to the attention of the ref as he should have until the game was over.

Why should he have anonymity while Shelvey is receiving all the crap before he is even found to be guilty?

So anyway, I did not brand anyone who has been abused a slimy snake, try to read the comment before jumping on your soap box and dictating to the blog how we should behave.

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Firebug. My mistake. You were calling the person who reported the abuse a slimey little snake . That’s ok then.

• Jib

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Budge123
    Firebug. My mistake. You were calling the person who reported the
    ALLEGED AND DENIED
    abuse a slimey little snake . That’s ok then.

• WWSBRD

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM

firebug
    Tbf mate the victim doesn’t need to be named and Shelvey was only named when the charge was made (after what looks like a decent investigative time)

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Budge123

You still missed the point, I said why should he be allowed to hide like a slimy little snake, not that he is one.

He made allegations, and now Shelvey is being tried on what he may or may not have said by the social media sites. He has to face the music guilty or not, so how come we don’t know the identity of his accuser?

He is after all performing a character assassination on Shelvey, I would like to know who he is so we could judge his character too.

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:23 PM

WWSBRD

But the victim has been named, but the accuser hasn’t.

• Ron Knee

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:26 PM

• WWSBRD

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:27 PM

firebug
    Ah right I get ya mate

If it comes out that he’s innocent (fingers crossed though at this point I think it’s unlikely) then questions will be asked about the accusations but Shelvey must of said something at the time

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Jib according to you it wasn’t abuse anyway as the ‘abused ‘ couldn’t be humiliated by something he didn’t understand.

The point isn’t if proven or not the point is the deflection of blame that is being put forward.

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM

WWSBRD

I totally agree, something may have been said, though maybe not what he is accused of, however I also think he will be found guilty as like a lot of people I think the FA have already made their minds up.

I would just like his accuser to be know mate, then we could have a fairer view of who’s who, instead of Shelly getting it in the neck, he will however know who he is dealing with.

He has denied it anyway hasn’t he?

• lochinvar

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Sunderland have become the first Premier League side to take on the mannequin challenge.
    It’s the latest craze to hit social media, and simply involves standing very still.

Dummies !

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Firebug from personal experience I’m touchy on this so apologies if I’m taking your point the wrong way.

But for me the victim or in this case ‘whistle blower ‘ should be nameless until the charge is proven or not.
    If not proven then is the time to name and indeed shame

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Lochinvar the obvious joke relates to their back 4 being part of the challenge all season so far!

• bettyswallocks

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM

The problem with this type of situation in any walk of life is that once an accusation is made public then people start passing judgement under the pretext of no smoke without fire.

Some of the shit then invariably sticks even if the accused is totally exonerated and so then has to live with the stigma attached .

There is a call for accusations of a sensitive nature to be handled discreetly without names being made public and I think it’s the only fair way.

• G

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I’m trying to stay out of this row, as also, it’s a touchy subject here too. My two pence worth is as follows, I will wait for the evidence, and for the charge to take place before judging, if anything, experience and previous precedents suggest there is a case to answer (Otherwise the FA would not have brought up a charge), however, if this is an allegation from a 3rd party just remember, just because somebody says something, doesn’t mean its true.

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Budge123

I can accept that, and I understand honestly, I have suffered a lot of abuse (mostly from kids) over my disability. But if you make an allegation about a fellow professional why should you be allowed to hide until it all blows over?

My own thoughts may be well off the mark, but we had to play Wolves again in a couple of days after that match, and maybe he was trying to get Shelvey suspended before that game……maybe.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Budge@18 …. Snap.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM

That is a phenomenal record our young striker has, really hope that he makes the grade.

• WWSBRD

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM

firebug
    Yeah Shelvey has denied it since the game. I imagine Shelvey and NUFC know who has made the accusation but, imo at least, it helps no one making it public tbh I don’t think it matters

Am not sure how it gets to this point without the FA having some evidence (video evidence maybe I don’t know what angles are available because it wasn’t televised was it? I can’t remember). We will see though Shelvey may not fight it

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM

WWSBRD

If he is guilty then he needs to be punished and we will manage without him.

On Armstrong, wow this lad is getting better and better, and his record is becoming very impressive, I hope Rafa is thinking about having him home for next season, he will have a bit more experience and be brimming with confidence.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM

I don’t think Armstrong will make it at the top level otherwise Rafa would have kept him under his wing.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Only teasing Bob. He looks like he’s getting better all the time. It’ll be interesting to see if Rafa recalls him.

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:56 PM

There has to be anonymity to encourage people to report abuse.

If that anonymity itself is abused then the tables are turned and full disclosure or who is making unwarranted claims should take place.

The Chad Evens case shows the issue with naming before and indeed after trial but what other way is there?

People making a complaint should be protected otherwise they become the subject of investigation purely for ( if complaint upheld) being abused or reporting abuse

• lesh

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Martoon

In any event, I’d have a time limit on making any allegations. Seven weeks after the event is, in my opinion, unreasonable.

• WWSBRD

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM

firebug
    Certainly haha will have to wait and see though the club should be making a decision about it quickly I’d think

• lesh

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Off thread and not intended to lead into a debate on the US election, I wonder how long it’ll be before those who voted for Trump’s American Dream, are singing ‘Big Rock Candy Mountain’.

After the Brexit vote, the US election is another example of voters being manipulated and conned by soudbytes.

Anyway, please restrain any desire to respond to this post. I’ve had me rant and medication so it’s time for some zzzzzzzzz.

• Ron Knee

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM

I don’t think the Shelvey situation can be compared to cases of child abuse/rape. The name of the alleged victim has to be known, otherwise it’s meaningless.

lesh

So the nightmare became reality!

• lesh

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Budge

Presumably the player who reported Shelvey’s alleged comments will have to give evidence to and be prepared to be cross-examined at the hearing? That being so, how on earth can anonymity be maintained?

• lesh

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Ron

Yup, nowt as queer as folk!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM

if you try to murder someone, but fail, that is attempted murder.
    If you verbally abuse someone who doesn’t understand, surely that’s attempted abuse and carries a lesser sentence.

• Ron Knee

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:13 PM

lesh

We’ve had Maggie and Ronald. Can we now look forward to Theresa and Donald?

• bettyswallocks

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Lesh……… At last a voice for sexism and misogyny.

• Budge123

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Lesh – anonymity is common place through the legal system.(and this isn’t a criminal case )
    In this situation at some point the identities will and should come out but that shouldn’t be at this early stage in my opinion.

• firebug666

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:31 PM

WWSBRD

Yep would love to see Armstrong given a chance, maybe a January return to integrate him with the team and system could be on the cards.

Budge123 @ 29

I agree that in certain circumstances there should be anonymity to protect the victims, but Shelvey’s accuser is not a victim, and claims he heard what Shelvey had said, so really it’s a case of hearsay.

OK the FA may want to protect their source, and Wolves will defiantly want to protect him, but while all this is going on Shelvey is and has been slated. He has denied any abuse, and will no doubt want to defend himself against the allegations. I just get so angry that he is name and shames before being found guilty, while his (hearsay) accuser sits in comfort, untarnished.

It can only boil down to his word against Shelvey’s at a hearing, (unless their is video evidence), and who the FA choose to believe, but in the mean time the damage to Shelvey is already well underway, if you throw enough mud some of it will always stick.