Rafa’s Man Management Skills – How To Handle Budding Star

Great things are expected of young striker Elias Fritjof Sorensen who signed for us in the summer from Denmark club HB Koge and this week he got his very first taste of first team training at Newcastle.

With so many senior players away on International duty Rafa invited the 17 year-old to train with the first team squad along with a number of other U-23 squad players and they got the opportunity to train in font of the Newcastle manager and his coaches.

While Rafa uses his time to train the first team squad, another one of his many responsibilities at the club is to watch out for the youngsters coming through and the Denmark Youth International is one of the most promising youngsters we have.

elias-fritjof-sorensen-300x169

Striker Elias Fritjof Sorensen signing for Newcastle on August 12th

Sorensen certainly seems to have been buoyed by both the training session and what Rafa said to him afterwards:

“I was sitting at the Academy on Monday and when I got the message that I later had to train with the first team.”

“They don’t say much, but it was just a ‘well done, lad’ off Rafa Benitez after training.” “It, of course, makes me happy, and it gives me confidence.”

“It motivates me also to continue to work even harder.” “Lascelles was really nice to help, and he asked me a lot.” “He asked how old I am, where I come from and so on.”

“It was a great experience to train with the first team and I’m really happy to have got it.”

It’s also good that captain Lascelles also took time out to talk to the 17 year-old, but Jamaal seems to ooze with leadership and he takes his position as the Newcastle captain seriously.

We still cannot believe this lad has so much responsibility at the club and is still only 22 years old – but it augers well for his future at Newcastle.

We could even see  Sorensen loaned out next season if he’s good enough at that age to play for one of the lower league clubs – youngsters need playing time to improve.

That’s a good story from Elias and he seems to have made a good start to his Newcastle career after only receiving International clearance to play in late September.

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM

JIB
    for a start we would not get that many tickets but yes that’s what i was suggesting however since i wrote that i’v had a chance to do some research
    and apparently after exs it’s a 3 way split with the 2 clubs and the FA

• WWSBRD

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Nice to hear our captain fulfilling his duties well, tbf was only last season he was the kid trying to play with the seniors

• Jib

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM

WWWSBRD
    It was there !
    but as it’s a live page from a newspaper the story may have been pulled.
    Hibbit
    You are lucky – I’ve found any info on championship finances very hard to find.
    I found an article a while back saying that one championship club had made nearly £100 million from the playoffs – after talking to Budge I now realise that the journo had included potential future PL winnings in his calculation without mentioning it – doh !!

• WWSBRD

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Jib
    Fair enough must of been standard Ryder nonsense then if they’ve taken it down

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Stupid is as stupid does Jib!

• lochinvar

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Any of the WELSH guys out there ?
    and for that matter get the message to the English and Scots teams……needs some Social Media activity asap !

I see that the Welsh FA won’t allow the players in their International to wear Poppy Armbands because of FIFA dictates.

Please put it out there that the players should wear short sleeve shirts and have a temporary poppy tattoo inked onto their arms

That way any interference by FIFA against a player would be discriminating against the player and leave FIFA open to breaking their own rules and be subject to legal claim for discrimination etc .
    This way no broken any rules about shirts etc

• Jib

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Stupid is as stupid does Jib!
    OK
    I’ll always take advice from an expert.
    😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM

So who were the other youngsters invited to train with the senior squad. I looked at the training pics that Jib gave a link to but I haven’t a clue who some of them are.

Might give us a clue who Rafa (all hail him) sees as the future prospects for the first team.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM

PTO

• Sav

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:09 AM

“It was great to play alongside some of the big stars over here, such as Jonjo Shelvey, who has played in Liverpool.” – WTF?!! Never mind the scousers. They’re playing for Newcastle, son, and don’t forget it!