Newcastle Striker Up For Different Award

Dwight Gayle is up for the Sky Bet Player of the Month award for October with four goals from four games – so with Rafa Benitez also nominated for Sky Bet Manager of the Month – we could see Newcastle win the double.

Last week Dwight Gayle won the PFA Fans’ Championship Player of the Month award for October, when fans vote for the winner and he won it easily.

dwight-gayle-after-scoring-seocdn-goal-barnsley

Dwight Gayle after scoring second goal against Barnsley

Here are the players who have been nominated for the Sky Bet Player of the Month as published by Sky Sports:

Ali Al-Habsi (Reading)
A Stellar month for the 34-year-old Oman international, flying across his goal to make stunning save after stunning save. A series of reaction stops preserved clean sheets in the wins over Rotherham and Nottingham Forest.

Sone Aluko (Fulham)
Back to his dynamic best, mesmerizing defenders with his dribbling ability and taking them on both inside and out. Scored with a lovely solo effort against Barnsley, then had a hat-trick of assists in a memorable display against Huddersfield.

Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion)
A model of consistency at the back, his influence was evident as Brighton conceded just three goals in five games. Scored with a towering header against Norwich and set up the winner at Sheffield Wednesday with an exquisite flicked pass.

Dwight Gayle (Newcastle United)
Wearing the famous number nine jersey at St James’ Park clearly suits him. Four goals from four October games showcased his speed, direct running and finishing prowess as he bagged two apiece against Brentford and Barnsley.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM

That having one in six epl quality players crack was I think well wide of the mark. The bottom half of the epl isn’t that good. I reckon our top 18 players are top half epl standard under Rafa if complimented by 4 genuine top notch acquisitions.

• cyprus

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Since we are loaded, and as you say Rafa you’ve been busy, here’s a ready made nice little list for shopping in January. Strengthens us, eliminates the opposition 🙂

• martoon

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Jimmy @1 – Sorry, I admire your enthusiasm but our top 18 players are NOT top half EPL standard. Players like Gouffran while having a good season is certainly not and I could name a few others.
    I’d say our top 6 or 7 players maybe are i.e. Gayle, Richie, Mitro, Shelvey, Lascelles & Clark and possibly Colback but I’m sure other posters would disagree!

• Jib

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Martoon
    There are more than you list with the POTENTIAL to become top half.
    Dummett
    Hayden
    Mbemba
    Perez
    Diamé
    Yedlin
    Aarons
    Atsu
    plus the 3 goalies

whoops
    that would appear to be 18
    😀

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Martoon, I think you need 16 genuine epl starters covering all positions and 6 to 8 capable understudies to cover all positions. So in that sense 4 astute quality signings and a coach of Rafas calibre I think would have us challenging top ten. Honestly speaking, the bottom half aren’t any great shakes and we are arguably the best group ever assembled in the Championship as is.

• martoon

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Jib @4 – I did say “but I’m sure other posters would disagree!”. However looking at your list yes they have the potential but Jimmy claimed they are now and I would say possibly Diame is and maybe Elliot when fully fit but that’s only 9 at best.

• martoon

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Jimmy @5 – I can’t argue with that but I just don’t think we have 18 at the moment – there is a big gap between top of Championship & Premiership. The cup game against Hull should be an interesting test and we’ll see if our squad is as good as we think it is!

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:52 AM

I don’t think we have a single player that wouldn’t be in the running for a
    place in a squad of 24 to challenge the top half. You don’t need 24 world beaters. You need sufficient quality, depth and balance.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM

I would add Colback and Anita to those lists plus some of those out on loan notably, Armstrong, Mbabu and Sterry. As Jimmy says you don’t need world class in the EPL to be top ten or six even.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I’ll even stick my neck out and go as far as to say I reckon Colback is a future England player, the Ginger Makalele is very under rated imo.

• Jib

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Currently Watford , Southampton and Burnley are in the top ten of the EPL.
    I don’t think their squads are markedly better than ours.

• toonincheek

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Essex –

Colback may well be underrated and over-criticised
    but if he is to be an England player, he had better
    take up tiddlywinks!