Complaints About This Newcastle Defender

England play Scotland at Wembley tonight in a qualifying game for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

England, under interim manager Gareth Southgate, will be expected to win this home game and Newcastle may have a couple of players starting in the Scotland team – winger Matt Ritchie and center-back Grant Hanley.

glen hanley

Grant Hanley – in Scotland’s famous colors

Matt has been in great form for us so far this season, but Grant has struggled to get a place in the Newcastle side and at the moment captain Jamaal Lascelles and Irish International Ciaran Clark are the two starting  center-backs.

Grant has played only 8 times with 3 starts this season and some those appearances have been late in the game to shore up a win.

Because of his lack of match practice he has not been playing well for Scotland this season and today 33 year-old former Rangers striker has taken a shot at him today.

This is what Boyd has said:

“Good luck to Gordon Strachan at Wembley,” “I can’t help but think he’s going to need it.”

“I don’t know about my old Middlesbrough boss, but one look at the defenders in his squad has me coming out in a cold sweat.”

“I hate to say it because I always like to think of the positives ahead of any big game, but I really am worried about this one.”

“No harm to Grant Hanley but I’m fed up seeing him make the same mistakes in a Scotland top.”

“Chances are it will be Hanley who Gordon picks to play alongside Martin, but for me that would be a big mistake.”

Kris Boyd is now playing his football at Lee Clark’s Kilmarnock.

Gordon Strachan is under some pressure after the last International break Scotland could only manage a home draw with Lithuania and were beaten on the road at Slovakia.

• beermonkey

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM

A jib free weekend
    Google will probably collapse with lack of use

• Bambams

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Of all our signings still have not seen enough of Hanley or Lazaar to make any comment.

Gamez is another but rumours are he is injured.

I suppose at least Hanley has had some game time, unlike Lazaar

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM

I was wondering where Lee Clarke had got to.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Will most likely be moved on in the off season. Quite possibly even bought as cover, to be moved on should we go up. He’s lost weight though, which suggests he knows he has to go some if he wants to figure next term.

• martoon

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I think some of you forget what a long gruelling season it will be. With Winter approaching we’re bound to get some injuries and suspensions so we’ll need the likes of Hanley – he’ll get a chance sooner or later.

• jayphoto

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Quite like Hanley! Think he’s more Lascelles back up, he’s a monster in the air but from what I’ve seen from rafa, its one of mbemba or clark (pacey, good on the ball) and one from lascelles or Hanley!(aerial, no nonsense, leaders)
    Mbembas off for 5 weeks, plus we’ve been fortunate with injuries at the back, but in the second half of the season, players like Hanley, Lazaar, Colback, Murphy who haven’t featured much will probably come in to play their part! Long old season, only a matter of time before we lose a couple! Specially the way championship referees are letting defenders chop our players down

• jayphoto

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM

seen the earlier article about Judge and Horgan!
    To be honest, whilst not being spectacular, they’d be good signings! Both have a really good attitude, Judge has been one of the better players in the championship for a few years and has a great delivery! Horgan reminds me a bit of McClean. Both work hard, and whilst not being elite level, I can see both being solid squad players at premier league level that will give 100% which is what we lacked in recent premier league campaigns