Newcastle Stand Firm – This Player Not For Sale

The Italian publication Corriere dello Sport had a report out yesterday saying that Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic was still a target in January for Napoli, but that there seemed little chance of Newcastle selling the player at that time.

They report that Napoli’s former boss Rafa Benitez is aiming to get Newcastle back to the Premier League this season with and that Aleksandar is one of the key players that can help the club do that.

aleksandar-mitrovic-preston-north-end-efl-cup-fourth-round

Aleksandar Mitrovic – wanted by Napoli but not available

That’s especially true with his excellent goal-scoring form for both Newcastle and Serbia in the last several weeks.

They report that Napoli have used third parties to see if Mitro would be available in January, but they see the door to Mitrovic double-locked by Newcastle.

In other words Mitrovic is not available for transfer this January and we would be very surprised if the player would be made available or sale in the summer.

There are at least two reasons for that – one is that he is the most popular player on Tyneside with the fans – so that’s important to the manager.

The second reason is he is expected to improve his game with another six months under the masterful coaching of Rafa Benitez.

Napoli may start to look at other more available targets in January, such as Juventus’ Italian International  striker Simone Zaza, who is loan  at West Ham.

And only yesterday Simone told Italian TV:

“Napoli are a great team and I have already been fortunate enough to play for Juventus, so I am proud of that.”

“But I am focused on breaking my duck and playing well.”  “West Ham are my current club and it would be a personal failure if I was to leave now.”

Zaza has not scored in 9 games for West Ham after scoring 8 goals in 24 appearances for Juventus last season.

The loan has cost West Ham a whopping €5M (£4.3M) loan fee, with a €20M (£17.2M) obligation to buy fee after Zaza has made a certain number of Premier League appearances.

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Will England be outclassed again?

From last year:-

“England undone by artistry of Spain’s Mario Pérez and Santi Cazorla”

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Southgate has a plan

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Not in January but in the summer could be a different story

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Chancel

From previous thread, it’s good that we don’t see managers trying stupid things such as a pathetic head butt on an opposing player, just wouldn’t happen would it. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Spain aren’t what they were but they will likely beat England

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Mitro is going to be one of the stars in our Champions Cup winning side in 2018.

I read that in some chicken bones I chucked onto the ground, so it must be true.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Can’t see Spain missing the same chances that Scotland did.

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Bill

The 2018 CL final is in Kiev in the Ukraine.
    You’d better start saving now.

Actually thinking of John and Liam – how ironic would that be ?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM

I see that Jib has now accused Rotonda heights of being a usual suspect, despite blaming his device for cutting his post. What qualifies one to be a ‘usual suspect’. Is it simply someone that Jib doesn’t like or agree with, is it someone who posts more than twice a week, if that’s the case I’ve seen posado and andrew84 being labelled and they don’t post that much. How do you know if you’re a usual suspect, do you have to wait until Jib accuses you or is there a checklist. Could someone please clarify.

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Jail
    Grow up son

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Jail
    Don’t worry am pretty sure ur with me in the ‘laurel and hardy’ camp though am still waiting on welsh to confirm

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Jib,
    It is a perfectly valid question, you throw the ‘usual suspect’ label around like you have some kind of devine right to label people you don’t agree with.

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Devine is an Irish surname derived from Ó Daimhín. Notable people with the surname include: Adam DeVine (born 1983), American actor, comedian, singer, …

Divine however ……..

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:12 PM

WW…,
    I think one of us is Hardy, I wonder if it’s because we can disagree with each other without descending in to abuse that has us labelled as a ‘pair of ‘usual suspects’

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM

@13 Excellent Jib. Brilliant. Top notch wiki.

• jayphoto

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Must admit I prefer Gayle over Mitro but I completely understand why serie A clubs are hovering! He’d be perfect for that league, it’d really emphasis his strengths and his weaknesses would be less noticeable or important!
    Bit ironic really, as under Pardew, Mitrovic was the style of striker we were crying out for! Hope we keep him and develop him though! Hes mad as a box of frogs but theres something there and its easy to forget hes very young!

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Jail
    Pretty much mate I enjoy disagreeing with people haha I actively look for it tbh whereas some find it somehow offensive when people don’t agree with them

Each to their own I suppose

• jayphoto

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:20 PM

@Jail – that disagreeing with each other without descent to abuse is because you guys are dinosaurs, a throw back to the blog when it was interesting and evocative and debates with reasoning were had.
    The decline started the first time someone wrote ‘1st’ on a post
    I blame Pardew personally. The blog went downhill when he took over 😉

• bettyswallocks

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Jib…… Could you please clarify who is Laurel and who is Hardy with your reasoning behind it attached. Thanks in advance.

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:24 PM

jay
    Haha blog dinosaurs! Well I can’t argue with that

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM

WWSBRD
    Only a thicko like Jail would have to ask again like a retarded schoolkid for a definition of “the usual suspects”

I’ve said it enough times .

If they have nothing to whinge about – they’re screwed – cos they have nowt else to offer a soccer blog – he’s come up with the Bingo thing – but think about it what else does he do but fill a spreadsheet with other folks thoughts – he’s a bluffing bullshitter who has comparatively recently come to soccer to relieve the boredom of cleaning the lavvies on an oil rig .
    😀

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Jib
    Erm ok I didn’t ask but hey ho does seem ur post to me is more a way for u to insult Jail without directing it toward him though

As for what he offers to the blog do u consider urself as offering more?

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:38 PM

WWSBRD
    Jib do u consider urself as offering more?

Very much so

• WWSBRD

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Jib
    I disagree

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM

That is your right

• bettyswallocks

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Jib……. I think you do make a fair contribution to the blog but sometimes when put on the spot and asked to clarify one of your comments, you are prone to doing a Thauvin (Bwave Sir Robin)

You should have the courage of your convictions and fully explain what you mean sometimes.

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:51 PM

SweatyBetty
    I’ll try harder

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM

The North East press corps seem to be in total awe of Rafa’s coaching team !

They can go where they want in Benton.

Any question is answered

It’s an open book – so different from what went before !

• giimps

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

As much as i like Mitros passion and love of our club, i believe Rafa would prefer to use Gayle as the mobile striker he loves.
    Mitro has shown though in recent weeks ,he is prepared to work hard and chase and press , to make runs off the ball and just generally be harder to mark , in short, his game is improving under Rafa, it seems Rafa is starting to trust him and this gives him more options , this is what we have been missing as a club for years, i know it will be harder in the Premier league but cutting your teeth in this league for a young up and coming strikeris pure gold, we had another striker who did the same the last time we were promoted and ended up selling him for £35m , although he has struggled to live up to the billing due to injuries, i believe under Rafas guidance Mitro can become a top player and will end up being sold in a few year for double or triple what we paid for him.
    We may need Mitro for the next 5 games anyway if Shelvey is banned as i think we will use wingers to get the balls into the box for Diame and Mitro to fight for…….time will tell though

• Jib

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I have a sneaking feeling that Jonjo may win his stand against the FA.
    They are a load of cowardly tossers a bit like the 50 old farts (Will Carling ) that ran English rugby for years.
    Stand against bullies and they back down.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM

As a fairly useless piece of information, I discovered recently from my nephew that my now deceased mother worked as a maid for Stan Laurel. I can’t vouch for the veracity of this info but he isn’t usually a bullsh!tter so it’s probably true.

I do know that she was in service in her early years though.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Jib

For some reason I was thinking his case was due next week making him available for the Rafa (all hail him) bingo.

Still think we’ve got enough to take Leeds without him if we have to.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM

I was advocating a firm stance against bullies earlier with regards to the Thauvin incident . The blog consensus seems to be that running away is the best option. You can’t win.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM

It’s great we have 2 strikers who, when they have started have got goals. Difficult to drop either once they have the shirt at the moment. If Mitro is dropped, I’m sure the international break for Gayle will be used as the reasoning, although Mitro scoring again would also give credence to the argument that whilst he is in form and scoring, keep playing him.

I would hate to see Mitro leave, at any point in the near future. As someone says, he is still very young. I think that is often overlooked when he is discussed.

It would take a huge amount of money to purchase a player that is at a level which Mitro’s potential could see him reach. It would equally take a huge sum of money for a Prem side to buy a similar level striker, more than we would get selling a striker to Italy, as ridiculous as that seems.

It’s good to have the different styles and options, as long as we know how to play to their strengths and adjust tactics to suit. Mitro has more potential as a foil for Perez or Arma – also with Gayle if Rafa were to look at Gayle using his pace to break lines coming from a little deeper.

Having both in the squad gives us lots of options to break down teams, and both will be needed this season and in future seasons.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Might be a tough night for England against Spain.

• cyprus

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Interesting friendly clash lately on who’s better between our top performing two CF’s.

I’ve always thought that Gayle was underused in his past teams and he was much better than a cameo sub.

However: I think Mitro is the real thing. He will be a big, brash, passionate goal machine, somewhere. Hope it’s with my team.

If I had this terrible choice to make I’d rather lose Gayle than Mitro.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM

As for Shelvey, there is a lack of info in the public domain (as far as I’ve seen at least) to make any real judgement. I find it odd that we have left it till the last day to appeal, if that is what happens. I can only imagine that there is sufficient evidence and concern over the incident within the club for them to deliberate over it for so long.

If they were confident there was nothing to it, the international break surely wouldn’t have prevented the club from denying it and saying Jonjo will contest the charges.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Only Aarons and Hayden are younger than Mitro in our first team squad according to Transfermarkt.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM

There is a distinct difference between standing up to bullies and running away from someone who is trying to kill you.

• cyprus

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM

I don’t think kids should look at footballers as role models, so I tend to forgive Bellamy style outbursts.

But, if Jonjo used racist language, then pay the price. Racism is bullying of the worst kind.

Grow up, get counselling, get a brain Jonjo – if guilty. I hated how Terry and others were defended by their respective fans.