Mitro – I Hope That Header Was Like Alan Shearer – Video

Wales chances of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup finals were dealt a severe blow in Saturday’s game  at Cardiff when Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a late equalizer for Serbia with just 5 minutes to go when he headed the ball home.

And at the time Newcastle fans took to Twitter as the Serbian has been in great goal-scoring form for both club and country recently.

aleksandar-mitrovic-scores-987

Aleksandar Mitrovic heads home the equalizer for Serbia

One of the reasons Mitrovic was only too happy to join Newcastle United last year from Anderlecht was that his idol while growing up in Serbia was Alan Shearer.

Ever since he was a young boy he followed Shearer’s great career, so it’s perhaps not that surprising that he hopes his header last Saturday was like an Alan Shearer header.

This is what the 22 year-old has said in the local press today:

“I hope the header was like Alan Shearer. It was a good cross, I was against Ashley Williams and James Chester and it was hard because they are strong guys.”

“That is why I am a striker. It’s my job. I have good players around me and I have to use them.”

“I knew I would only have one or two chances. It came and I’m happy.”

Mitrovic is a very good header of the ball and he showed that on Saturday when he broke Welsh hearts.

Here’s the header that lit up Serbia and made Mitrovic the hero of his country on Saturday night.

• WWSBRD

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Mitro’s tune seems to be changing quick

• Oldgit1

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Q@ Ww in which way?

• firebug666

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Mitro is growing up, he is getting better each game, less aggressive, and a lot more focused on the the game plan.

By the end of this season I would hope he has become the striker we were all hoping for when he signed for us.

HWTL

• WWSBRD

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Oldgit
    Well he’s gone from spending his career with us to spending the season with us within a fortnight

• firebug666

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM

WWSBRD

To be fair to him, he did say he want’s to get back into the premiership, I think he is just reassuring the fans that he has no intentions of leaving for Napoli this season.

My guess is he will be with us for a few years as he has his eye on that No9 shirt. lol

• Oldgit1

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Yes I thought that, just thought I may have read it wrong. Tbf he did say in the early part he wanted to get back to the premier league.

I do believe that agents of players pull the strings, so when a player says he committed to the club I take it with a pinch of salt, ie Townsend,

• WWSBRD

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:25 AM

firebug
    He’s certainly reassuring us that he won’t sign for Napoli in January but beyond that that’s it

People were furious with his agent saying that in the summer they’d decide on his future days after Mitro said he’d spend his career with us…well that’s what Mitro has just said too

• WWSBRD

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Oldgit
    Probably right mate but he is held up as Mr Newcastle these days

• firebug666

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

WWSBRD

True enough that if agents want a payday they will look to move their players on regardless of what the player want’s, and managers also shift players out who would have preferred to stay

But if Mitro want’s to be like Shearer then he will need to plant his roots deep. In the end though we can only wait and see.

My personal opinion is he will be with us for a while yet.

• WWSBRD

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM

firebug
    Howay it’s not regardless of what the player wants at the end of the day his agent can’t sign a contract for him, he will push him aye but it’s his decision in the end

I won’t be shocked to see him leave come the summer personally

• Legolas

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I agree with WWSBRD, if he wants to stay he will and if he wants to leave he will. Nowt to do with his agent. He will get the best deal for him what ever he decides to do.

• toonincheek

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I reckon he will stay as long as Rafa wants him to stay.

• Jib

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I reckon WWSBRD could start an argument in an empty room.
    😀