This Is Why Rafa Is The Consummate Coach And Manager

We remember when Rafa finally accepted the job at Newcastle on May 25th and decided to stay at Newcastle even though we had been relegated.

A number of pundits, including Alan Shearer, were surprised that a world-class manager was willing to go down a division in England.

Alan Shearer kept saying Rafa would have offers galore to coach elsewhere and as it turns out that was true.

But he had come to realize at Newcastle that he had another potential Liverpool, but it could be even better because we haven’t won anything since 1969 and when he took over Liverpool in 2004 they had won over 40 major trophies in that same time-frame.

rafa-benitez-foundation-awards-dinner-654

Rafa Benitez – manager of Newcastle United

So there was a difference in the two jobs and it would be an ever greater achievement if Rafa could have the same success he did at Liverpool and take Newcastle back to the glory days of the past.

Rafa said at the time that coaching is coaching and that it didn’t really matter if he was facing a big club or a small club, a good team or a poor team – he liked the challenge of trying to win every single game whatever division he was in.

And so it has turned out to be this season, with Rafa almost being like a kid in a candy store, as he has been given free rein at massive Newcastle – to do what he thinks best.

Rafa seems like the consummate coach who is doing the job he just loves to do – one reason he always seems so upbeat.

And now he is at a sleeping giant of a club at Newcastle and he sees a massive opportunity for Newcastle to become successful under his leadership.

52,000 crowds at home in the second division and sold-out ticket allocations for every away game – just unbelievable.

What will it be like if we make the Premier League next season?

Rafa was asked in the Chronicle today whether he thinks he’ s a better coach now since a number of pundits had said he would struggle in the Championship.

This is how he answered that question:

“It depends on the environment” “I am a coach. I came to England and I am a manager now, but before I was a coach and I liked to coach out on the training field.

“I like to go and improve players as a coach if I can.

“Then, as a manager, I have more responsibility – but at the same time I am a coach.

“So I am not a manager that is not coming in for one week who leaves his staff to do the job; I like to do the training sessions, analysis, tactical work, and I like to do work with players as individuals.”

“I like to improve then technically and tactically, and I like to pass on my experience to them because I have been so many years playing, studying football, and managing.

“For me, the division; it doesn’t matter Championship, Premier League, Serie A, La Liga – at the end what you have to have is the right environment to coach and to improve your players.

“If you have that, it doesn’t matter what division.

Those are great words on coaching and management coming from Rafa Benitez, similar to what he had said back on May 25th.

He  seems to be just loving it as he changes Newcastle all the time – and for the better.

Long may it all continue.

• Tsunki

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Sitc- the buying thing isn’t totally out of the way. Benitez was a decent investment. Maybe there’s a lesson in there. ?

Why are we treating Leeds like some huge tie? I can understand they will, but they aren’t much better than anyone else in the top eight of this league. Rafa won’t be going there to hold on for a point that’s for sure. 0-2.

• Clematis

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Aaagh, a new article has been posted while I was doing my bingo!!!

Line up: Darls, Yeds, Lasc, Clark, Dummy, Shelvey, Col, Ritchie, Gayle, Atsu, Mitro (4231)

• one fine day

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Aussies
    Game is live from 12.15 tonight on BE in sports / Foxtel ?

• one fine day

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:39 AM

For some reason my iPad translates smiley face to ? When I submit
    Maybe I should leave those additions to our blog aficionado when it comes to emoji

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:46 AM

ofd,
    If you Google “word press compatible smileys” it gives you a list of them.

• giimps

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Rafa bingo
    Darlow
    Yedlin,lascelles,clark,dummet
    Shelvey,hayden
    Ritchie ,diame, gouffy
    Gayle.

Hoping for a win, expecting not to lose so im going for
    1-2
    Gayle and Ritchie on the scoresheet for us.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM

There’s not many truly nasty barstewards on here but jane loved it when Gerrard slipped to cost Lpool the title, Jib who is the nastiest barstwerard by far on here jumps in to condemn her comment?

• Spotlight Kid

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Sorry, Ed, but so far Rafa has won nowt at NUFC, and he did preside over relegation despite having longer at it than Shearer in 2009.

He now has the most expensively assembled squad in the Championship and the luxury of parachute payments (unlike Hoots at second place Brighton). NUFC are where they should be at the top, no more no less, but that is irrelevant at this stage when a slip in form (see Norwich) can send any club tumbling.

Leeds away is a good test for Rafa, but anything less than a solid win will mean the season ahead might not be quite as easy as many on here suppose.

• one fine day

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Jail
    Cheers for that but I think there are enough used on here from Bobby bee .. But I will keep it in mind
    On the jib/ jeff / Jane thing …it is a Sunday ..maybe there are having a bit of a domestic ?

• Budge123

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Thats then spirit ‘Spotlight ‘ enjoy the good times whilst we can.

Confirmed Rafa Bingo Bango

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Hayden
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Mirto

Not sure on the 9 and 10 pairing but I’ll go with them.

Toon to win 3-1

• one fine day

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Seeing the Leeds kit now made by kappa got me thinking
    Back in the days when it wasn’t worn by charvas and Nikki pollard …
    As a kid in the 80,s my fav shirt ever was the juventus one made by them with Ariston ( think it may even be in loft back in uk) and I was delusional enough to think I was similar to platini
    Would love us to have something like that …an absolute classic and better than the minty puma offerings we get now.
    If we can’t go back to adidas. With Ashley’s ongoing feud with them then it would be the first shirt I would buy since the ntl days
    Thoughts anyone ?

• Jib

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Jail @ 7
    You overstepped the mark there i.m.o.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Jibberish,
    Really, your nasty streak knows no bounds!

• Rotonda heights

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Jail

I don’t know what the condition is when a person like Jib freely hurls all manner of random abuse at people, but is by far more guilty himself of the same failings they accuse others of. Pot kettle black, or hypocrisy, just 2 that come to mind.

JamesToon // Nov 19, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Glad Pardew is being found out for the fraud that he is, majority of Palace fans want him out. Can’t organise a defence, tactically clueless, no plan b, endless amount of excuses, massive ego.
    – – – – – – – – – – – –

Spot on, but better not let mag 52 see that.

• toontaff2

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Well poor Dwight will have no bite!
    4 teeth lost in a drunken night out!

• Vask

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Bit slow on the uptake here but did anyone notice when Newcastle brown ale became merely ale?

• Rotonda heights

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:29 AM

spotlight

yeah would have been so much better getting someone like gary megson, rather than one of the most decorated managers of all time. Jeez I give up with some people, just never satisfied.

rafa had 10 games and nearly pulled us out of it, but tufty had left him too much to do. we’ve sold nearly 75M worth of players and arguably 3 of our best players and we sit top of the league, playing great football, ie the 22 passes for perez’s goal.

Just unbuckle your face and enjoy the good times and stop being a miserable t–t. We have he who can’t be named for that already.

• one fine day

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Vask,
    They always want our best stuff then set about doing it their way in the USA . Brown without the brown
    After what they did with Ricky gervais’s ” the office ” you would think they’d learn .
    Trying to not be too harsh on our transatlantic friends though right now I think they have nough to worry about

• TyneMouth

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45 AM

RAFA BINGO COMFORMATION;

Darlow

Anita. Lascelles. Clark. Dummett.

Shelvey. Colback.

Ritchie. Diame. Gouffran.

Gayle.

VIVA BENITEZ!…

• Vask

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Ofd,
    It was actually your shirt post that got me thinking of brown ale. The 95/96 era shirt is pretty iconic. I think kappa could be an interesting shirt supplier with the rumours of brown ale sponsoring us once again could make for an iconic partnership, even if the brown icon is now somewhat watered-down.

• Spotlight Kid

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Rotunda, you know I am right. I am not criticising Rafa, he is a class act, only Ed’s constant over-hyping of managers (justified or otherwise). He did the same with Pardew, (whom both of us called out from day as I recall). I was living near Charlton when AP arrived there and saw the mess he made, then to see his face staring out angelically from the website header…

I remain hopeful, and think we have a very fine manager, but there will be slips if over confidence sets in. We are like a big kid held back for two years or more in the primary school, it’s no the wonder we are now top in maths and the best at games. Get real, man, it’s expected. The day we put 22 passes together and score against Arsenal I will celebrate.

• toontaff2

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM

The Spotlight Kid – haha!
    RAFA Bingo time:
    Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie NobbyGayle Gouffball
    Mitro on fire!

• toontaff2

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Bob Bradley caption:

You’re no Altidore, fella!

• Jib

Shelvey Hayden
    Perez Diame Gouffran
    Mitro

2 – 2 draw.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Rafa Bingo (for what it’s worth)

—————-Darrow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    ———- Shelvey Colback
    —–Ritchie Diame Goufran
    ————— Mitrovic

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM

***** Correction
    Rafa Bingo (for what it’s worth)

—————-Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    ———- Shelvey Colback
    —–Ritchie Diame Goufran
    ————— Mitrovic

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I forgot to put my correct score for a bonus three points.
    2-1 toon, Gayle first goal fir an extra two points 🙂

• reilly

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

sportsmania for the match people.dont be a tight arse pay the few quid for a day pass. 😆

• Novocastrian66

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Newcastle Brown Ale should never have been allowed to be brewed outside of Newcastle. A disgrace. The French would go mad if sparkling wine made outside of Champagne was called Champagne.
    Not enough was done to protect our heritage from big business. It really annoys me.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Rather watch for free on Kodi and use the money for a few bottles of Newcastle watered down Brown Ale pet!

• Bobbybee

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Not too worried about the game today. Leeds bigging it up as the biggest game this season – just like Villa did. They mean THEIR biggest game, which is slightly different. Won’t take much to shut them up though, bearing in mind many of those there today haven’t bothered for years. The notion that this huge crowd will frighten our lads is risible, as we play before much bigger crowds every other week and are used to playing at PL clubs with bigger crowds. That said, they are on a run – just not as good as ours. It’s another game in which they would be happy with a draw. We are the better side and just need to play well to win. I’m going with 1-3 and wave bye bye to the chasing pack.

• reilly

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM

shirebrook its a few quid and you get to watch in hd no pissy stream that buffers every 2 seconds.all prem games sky/bt sports all in hd.worth every penny.

• Average_Contents

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM

reilly

I’m presuming it’s available as an addon in kodi?

Is it available as a standalone app/apk on android devices?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Can anyone shed any light on why NUFC.com have listed Sheff Wed and Forest at home as ST holders only on their ticket info, surely they mean members only, I hope it doesn’t mean that ST holders have to buy tickets.

• reilly

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM

aye AC.
    my internet is shit at the new house,so i use matrix tv browser,but if you have decent net apk or kodi addon will be fine.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Novo

Novocastrian66 // Nov 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, well said mate.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM

My Rafa bingo is the same as Ed’s.

I’d imagine if we had a score predicting game I’d be ahead, having predicted all our 2-0 victories, the 3-0 against Ipswich and the 2-1 against Preston – the latter I’m going for today. Will be a tough one and given those around us have slipped up, 1pt wouldn’t be bad.

This is Leeds’ cup-final, more than other teams as they feel they are on parity or better us in terms of status and want to prove that point.

Expect a fiery encounter and raucous crowd.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I didn’t realise that there were bonus points for predicting our winning score so I’m going for 3-1 to us.