How Impressed Was Rafa Benitez With This Potential Signing?

Newcastle United played very well last Saturday afternoon at Elland Road to get a deserved 2-0 win against a good in-form side in Leeds United.

Before the game Rafa had told the players it would be tough, but that it was also a test for them to see just how good they are – and we must say they seem to be improving as the season goes on.

The atmosphere at Leeds was white-hot but our players handled it all very well and we dare say there’s the makings of a very good side from the squad  Rafa assembled in the summer.

ronaldo-vieira-leeds-563538

Ronaldo Vieira – 18 year-old Leeds midfielder

And the Newcastle manager will be keen to add quality in the upcoming January and summer transfer windows.

If we do manage to get promoted this season Newcastle could be spending some big money in the summer to bring in maybe two or three top players to improve the quality of the team.

Rafa will want to aim at the top half of the Premier League table – at least.

We have already written about how impressive 23 year-old left back Charlie Taylor looked in the game, but the other Leeds United player we are supposed to be keen on is 18 year-old midfielder Ronaldo Vieira.

The report was in the Chronicle last week that we were keen on these two Leeds  players and certainly we were linked a number of times with Taylor last summer.

But we have never been linked with young Vieira, who once played for Whitley Bay Boys Club.

And Ronaldo had an average kind of game on Saturday at Elland Road.

The skillful midfielder was born in Guinea-Bissau and raised in Portugal, where he was at the Benfica Academy.

In 2011 he left Portugal with his family and moved to England and played for a time for Whitley Bay Boys Club, before moving to Yorkshire where he played two seasons for Batley Phoenix in the Huddersfield Junior Football League.

Ronaldo joined Leeds only 14 months ago after having a successful trial there and he’s made very rapid progress since then.

Vieira made his debut for Leeds on May 7th last year at Preston North End in the final game of last season, when he came on as a sub.

He has now played 15 times in total for Leeds and it remains to be seen if Rafa will try to sign the teenager – probably next summer – since we cannot see manager Garry Monk wanting to lose him in January with Leeds looking to mount promotion challenge.

And if Leeds do get promoted there may be little chance of us signing either Taylor or Vieira.

Here’s a look at  Ronaldo – it’s his brilliant winner late in the game at Norwich City in their previous game before meeting Newcastle.

Newcastle will be trying to sign top teenagers in January and next summer and these younger players can be given some time to develop and hopefully become first team players at Newcastle under the coaching of the 56 year-old Benitez and his staff.

What do you think?

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Canny goal Ed, but surely the keeper should’ve kept it out? Love the name but so far haven’t seen too much to get excited about. Not that I’ve seen enough to pass fair judgement I hasten to add. I wish him nothing but good luck for his future and if he impresses Rafa, he’ll be welcome here.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I see the form books are safe for the moment, Bobby’s back on and fired up with affront and vigour, lashing out at a different opinion in his inimitable fashion. Ho hum.

• dogfish

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM

re-post from last thread

The main problem with Colback is that he doesn’t have a football brain at all. Last season he gave away so many stupid free kicks near our box for pointless shirt pulls that we would inevitably concede from because we were sh!te at defending.

I haven’t had chance to see many games this season with the lack of championship coverage but if he can remove this part of the game he’d be a decent squad player in the prem, not a first teamer. If it hasn’t removed then he’s still sh!te

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Bobby,
    We weren’t even disagreeing, you told me to use my own brain which I took exception to. I am using my own brain and I think Colback is a good Championship player.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Quite right tsunki, things don’t change – you still talk shyte. Thought you’d boycotted us anyway, when people told you they were sick of you and yours? Brush that dummy off, it might be a bit nasty by now. You surely wouldn’t put that back in your mouth? Then again, let it join the rest of the filth. This is a football blog. I understand you can’t carry a football related discussion for long, but straight in there with the insults? Way to go boy. Has the Bobbybee alarm been triggered again? All bail in without regard for what’s been said? Grow up little boy. If you can’t talk football, what are you doing on here? Boring us after such a long time without crossed words from virtually anybody? Same old same old. Yawn.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:00 PM

please, don’t disagree with the blog hierarchy…. they are always right you know…

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM

dogfish,
    I’m not sure if he is a decent squad player, at the moment Tiote is surplus to requirements, not needed and not missed. Next year if we do bring in a top quality DM then Colback or Hayden become surplus, I think Rafa will stick with his man.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Colback might be a good championship player but not premier league player.

• Jib

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Rumours the Matz Sels may returm to Gent this January !

• BandB

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM

bobby,

You only parroted exactly exactly what I said about Colback….just in vastly more words.
    I wasn’t disagreeing with you.
    Nor do I call ranting away to yourself for an hour and a half “winning the argument.”
    But I’m delighted for you to think it is.

• Termijn

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Colback is definitely a premier league quality player, hence why he has played the majority of his career there. He could easily do a job for any bottom half team.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Jail, I wasn’t disagreeing as such, just responding to posts – the way a blog works. Yes, I told you to use your own brain, but only when you quoted nufc.com as if it was gospel. Just because somebody said something in March, it doesn’t necessarily apply now – and it’ s still just an opinion, not a statement of fact. I don’t want a row mate, I was expressing an opinion that disagreed with yours, nothing more, nothing less. Colback is having a good season imo, but that doesn’t mean I’m right – it’s just my opinion and I present facts to back it up. You don’t have to agree, but saying I’m ranting when I know I ain’t is just petty. If you disagree present your case, don’t be like others who just look for an excuse to have a row and kill the blog for their own sad agenda. We can have a discussion without it being a rant. We agree on many things lately, but when we don’t it doesn’t mean I’m ranting, I’m simply disagreeing, or not seeing it your way, or whatever. Nothing I love more than a sensible discussion about the team we love, but accusing me of ranting because I present my case how I do is childish. I give an opinion, backed up with details and leave it open for discussion. Is that not the point? I don’t come on here to fight with anybody. You simply read me wrong when you think I’m ranting mate, because I’m not. I’m putting my case forward in a forthright way that allows discussion. Have I said you are wrong? Nope. Just putting across my point. No need to get personal about it, leave that for those who revel in it.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Anyway, got to go now or someone will be ranting if I don’t get her to Ashington go on in time. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM

As a generalization and not a specific Colback comment, there are two reasons why players seem to be fouling more and getting more bookings.

One is that even a nudge on an player, especially where the victim goes down as if he’s been poleaxed, as often as not results as a foul being perceived and again as often as not a yellow card being brandished.

The fact that refs are so easily conned .doesn’t help either. They may well have been instructed to be harsher on tackles in the modern era, therefore players like Colback end up getting more bookings and yellow cards.

If he’d been playing for Leeds in their heyday he’d probably have been considered soft.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Bobby – wasn’t being insulting just observing the train of your posts. If you read back over impartially it does indeed look bad tempered and reactionary. And your response at 5 – well, wow.

I think you’re pretty much in the minority of thinking you are the voice of the blog, if there is such a thing. You need to get that pain / anger management thing tethered.

• Jib

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Strangely enough probably the 2 hardest nuts in the Leeds back 4 were Geordies.
    Messrs Hunter and Charlton.

• Uncertain Toon

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Bit of ranting going on today I see, just an opinion of course!

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:15 PM

wor norman was a bit of a lad jib
    don’t think he would get a full game in these days !!

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Jib’s such a smart arse. He could sit on a tub of ice cream and tell us what flavour it is.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Voice of the blog? Don’t ever think I’m like you trunking, I have no desire to be the voice of anything. This has been your problem all along. You see me as a threat to your once dominance, where people were frightened to speak up. Read back yourself smartarse and you’ll see I was passing an opinion. You really are pathetic. You boycott the blog because you were told by many people to shut up, so you take on the injured party. It won’t work, you’ve been sussed. You and yours come on to start a row, whereas I come on to talk football. Just the fact that you precieve me in that manner exposes your own inadequacies. You want to be blog master and got told where to go. Not by me, but by many. Digging at me repeatedly only confirms the matter. Grow up. Talk football or don’t bother. You weren’t missed and never will be. I’m not monitoring the blog 24/7, waiting to jump in like you, you sad little man. I come on and talk football. You don’t. End of. Run along. Seems to me you can’t live without the blog, despite your boycotting. Which explains your sad existence. Talk football, or stfu. Dead simple really.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Trunking? Tsunki I meant.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Colback
    Having seen/been at a lot of TOON games this season when Colback plays SHELVEY plays much better.

When Colback is not playing Shelvey drops far deep nearly as a third centre half which does not allow him to play his expansive passing game.

When Colback plays he does the dirty job of tackling back blocking getting in the way and is always available for the short pass from Shelvey which also allows Shelvey to play further forward and time to play his passes

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM

whats people’s thinking on Daryl Murphy getting a game ???

• Jib

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Hibbit
    Norman was a hard uncompromising player but he was also an intelligent and gifted defender who could have modified his game to todays level – no danger.
    Just the era he played in I guess.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Honestly Bobby, what’s all this about? I never claimed blog dominance, never bullied anyone as far as I know ( anyone can jump in here ha ha) and the only thing I Boycotted was your angry mash-ups. All that stuff you’re writing there is full of bitterness, perceived slights and the insults of a former pugilist who has had to learn to threaten people with a keyboard now hes not the mobile hooligan of yesteryear. I didn’t run over your dog, did I? If so I’m truly sorry.

And yes, I’m sorry I observed your temper, Grumpy Greg 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM

When were people scared to speak up against who, the blog regularly had 300+ posts with Tsunki being a part of them?

• Jib

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Hibbit
    If I wre you I would include Murphy in your bingo selection for the cup game v Hull

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I’m thinking Darryl Murphy will start getting a few sub runouts to get him up to speed. I don’t think he’s Eds “forgotten man” at all, he was bought with a purpose, insurance for the loss of a striker in the tail end of the season.

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Bobby

Now this is a new thread so no comments that get folks’ back up. Ah, err, mmm, that leaves you little scope at all. So, just carry on and if the argumentative bu**gers kick off, then so be it.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Jail – jib just posted a link to one of them, nostalgia indeed. I probably was a nicer person back then, when I wasn’t being hounded by the neighbour from hell ha ha

• WWSBRD

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Sels wanted back home? Jog on u sold him no benefit to us or him to return to a soft league

Mad to let that happen

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM

What’s the latest punt on promotion? I predicted second qualifying place for us (still doable lol) but it looks like we could finish a healthy top. So, if it’s Brighton with the next auto place, who are the playoff champions?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:44 PM

hibbit,
    I can only assume that we offered him a lot more than he was getting at Ipswich and at this stage of career half a million over two years is a hell of a lot of dough, that’s assuming we’re paying him 5K a week more.
    Some people weren’t happy with his signing but for me it was a perfect deal, Mitro can be unreliable with his temperment and we needed an uncomplaining back up with Championship goals and experience who wouldn’t cost a fortune.

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Essex

Put Colback up against Bremner and Jack’s an angel!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Tsunki,
    We’re 33/1 on for promotion, I don’t know why I never put on a double when I put Gayle for top scorer, I’d get 2K in if it comes in.

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Bobby

What’s this about you being the voice of the blog, the champion of those left behind by the posting establishment?

Keep your head down bonny lad cos Trump’ll be recommending Farage to employ you as Northumberland’s ambassador to the US. That’d put the cat among the pigeons eh.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Trunky……. We’re massive odds on now to finish top. Should have lumped on after we lost them first two games, could have got a decent price then.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Ok a bit late to the party but anyone signed up to the free nufctv on the official beta site? Very nice and eminently cast-able 🙂 finally!

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM

OK so answer the question ha ha – who will be playoff champions? Always a tricky one. We could start with who will be the four involved….

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Tsunki,
    I have but can’t find the goals from matches.