Newcastle Still Pursuing Prime January Transfer Target

Irish winger Daryl Horgan has probably been the player Newcastle have been linked with the most in the lead up to the January transfer window and it seems local rivals Sunderland have also joined the list of the many clubs interested in signing the Dundalk player.

We have a big squad this season so Rafa will want to bring in some class to the squad and it seems a case of quality rather than quantity in January’s transfer window.

daryl-horgan-dundalk

Newcastle’s January transfer target Daryl Horgan

Daryl has been getting the headlines this season, especially for his play in the Europa League for Dundalk and they play a home group match against Ditch side AZ Alkmaar tomorrow night.

Dundalk have only 4 points from their first four games, but  will play against the bottom club of their Group D and a win could see them on their way to qualifying for the knock-out rounds.

Newcastle are expected to have scouts at the game tomorrow night in Dundalk and there will likely be scouts from other clubs also present – such as Sunderland.

Horgan was the PFAI Player of The Year this year and in 2014 was PFAI Young Player of the Year, so he’s a  good player and only recently the 24 year-old said he would be interested in a potential move to a massive club like Newcastle.

It will help Newcastle that we are starting to pull away at the top of the Championship and on Sky Bet we are 1/33 odds on the get promoted this season.

We just have to keep pulling away by winning our games – it’s simple really.

🙂

Daryl’s contract runs out next month and he will become a free agent, which is one reason so many clubs are interested in signing the player.

But if Rafa Benitez is really interested in signing Daryl in January we must have a very good chance of being successful and even beating out some Premier League clubs – like Sunderland.

What do you think?

• Rotonda heights

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Does anyone know the structure and machinations of the Sissoko deal? I know it’s being paid in installments, but what happens if after a season Spurs have had enough and want rid and sell him for half, ie 15M.

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Rotonda

I’d imagine that were spurs to sell Sissoko at a loss and during the course of his contract, then they continue to be responsible for whatever’s outstanding on the £30m fee owed to NUFC.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Rotonda,
    Ive no idea but my guess is they’d have to pay the lot back as agreed otherwise they’d just give him away in January. They’ll be very lucky to get the 12M I always thought he’d sell for. If it wasn’t for the Euros that’s all we’d have got.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM

“Consecutive defeats at their temporary Wembley home had left Spurs with no margin for error and they duly came up short against a classy Monaco side.

“We need to improve our mentality and be ready every game,” Pochettino said.

“Pochettino added he may need to add “more quality” to his squad.”

Watch out, Moussa!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Can you imagine pipping Spurs to a CL spot in a couple of years, although he’ll probably be back in France by then.

• Novocastrian66

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Rotonda; no-one will know about the intricacies of the deal except the people involved. However I find it highly unlikely we will not get our money no matter how long Sissoko stay.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Ron,
    Someone marked his score card N/A after yesterdays game.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Jail

Tough viewing choice tonight: Arsenal or Citeh?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Moussa Sissoko, N/A

Played 15 forgetful minutes plus stoppage time.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Ron,
    I’ll be on a train.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Hibbit – you ask me what makes me an expert, my answer is same thing as you. At least Cyprus can post a considered response to what I think is a legitimate stance on player quality and what may be required in the top two leagues. Then you post this –

“thats definitely not what i want but the Colback debate is over the top the lad’S doing the job Rafa asks him to do and doing it well in my mind
    Rafa keeps picking him so it seems Rafa is happy with his performances
    if Rafa needs an upgrade i’m sure we will get one till than its Colback”

Which is all anyone has said. You think he’s a stalwart that can shine as he helps propel us up to Champions League places, I don’t. Good on him for his efforts now, but a clear indicator we have ambition is shedding such players on that road.

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Darryl is the New PEA ha ha. OK maybe not.

• Offkey

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Didn’t anyone notice that one of the tweets ed used on the last thread was actually from a person who used to be on the blog.

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Tsunki

you took that the wrong way you come across as man with an abundance of football knowledge you can draw on
    i honestly thought you had played or coached at a higher level

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Sorry Hibbit, my apologies the printed wordfuels the paranoid ha ha. No mate, as I said I’ve no more experience than the next punter, just a lifetime of observation and comparisons. There are a few posters who undoubtedly have coaching backgrounds and better connections to the game, whose opinion I highly respect. But I think the nature of the blog gives everybody from the wise to the wacky a free rein 🙂

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Offkey – yeah Indian Magpie was a stalwart of the First Post on here for some time. 🙂

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Rotonda – I think basically he’s on tick. Except I don’t think they can give him back for quits if there’s a third or less to pay. Let’s hope not anyway 😐

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Anyway, without bringing up the HBA marmite argument again, if we’re going to talk about disappointing “stars” how come Wijnaldum keeps his head below the trench line so well? A more nondescript application of talent in a Newcastle shirt, pound for pound, is hard to recall in recent memory. He gets my goat more than Moussa to be honest. He was just quiet about it.

• martoon

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM

The Colback debate reminds me a lot of the Danny Simpson one on here. Whatever happened to him? – oh yes he has a Premiership winners medal and playing in the Champions league! 😀

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM

When Colback is marking Messi out of a CL final I’ll revisit that then .

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Of course that’s silly, because it will never happen.

because by next season Barca will have signed Jack to shore up their wobbly midfield. 😀

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Tsunki

only if Rafa has taken over Barca by then !!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Maybe it won’t happen next season but one of Hayden or Colback has to make way for a better DM and as Rafa bought Hayden I think it will be Colback that is moved on.

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:51 PM

The Colback argument is pointless. Right now, this season, he’s doing a great job. Shelvey shines when Colback is doing the dirty work and results show it to be so. If we’re going to sack people not good enough to play for Barca or Madrid then the whole team has to go. We’re in the Championship, remember? Then again, who was the last Toon player to get an England call up? With Rafa in charge the future will take care of itself and the present is just fine.

• BandB

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Very nice banner, reilly.

All the right aspect ratios. All the right people too.

Today is the first time I’ve seen it.

Congratulations.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM

From NUFC.com
    2 Mar 2016 – Colback continues to make his England call-up look like a case of mistaken identity.
    Was it him Bobby?

• Bobbybee

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Well, unlike you jail, I go on what I see, not what nufc.Com tells me is right. Like the rest of us, theirs is just an opinion, although I notice you take them as gospel. Try using your own brain for once.

• Average_Contents

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Poor le sulk lol. Gave me a chuckle anyway.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM

The Tyne Still Flows Towards the Sea.

Any more obvious statements that we can perhaps get really excited about, with endless updates that contain no further progress and point to no discernable source. Or shall we just drag out the old hits, Das-Wright-Charlie.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Bobby,
    That was a very petulant reply, not like you at all. I do use my own brain and I don’t rate him although he’s doing a great job at the moment where I think he’s found his level. I find the lads @.com very informative and enjoy reading their reliable site.

• BandB

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Shelvey needs someone to clear out space for him to play in.
    Playing alongside Hayden in the early season he wasn’t getting it, and he wasn’t making play in the way he is now.
    This is down to Colback in large part. It seemed pretty obvious Colback had pushed himself back ahead in the pecking order as early as September.
    It seems a bit harsh to dwell on his potential limitations right now, as he is one of the reasons we are where we are.
    But I suspect some bridle at it being typically laudable to claim he’s a future England mainstay, but “over the top” to doubt it.

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:12 PM

now then lets get this Colback debate sorted once and for all LOL !!!!

• Lindisfarne

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM

My Colback contribution –
    Last year in the PL against better teams and with too many players that disappeared during games, he was shown to be lacking and considered to be contributing to the overall mess (by myself included). This season with more willing players that move and a more fluent player beside him he is showing slightly better qualities and as you would expect for DM still picking up regular bookings. Overall a good freebie, does his mum proud and gets on, but nowt to write home about (or Southgate). Saying that he has done more than Jack Wheelchair.

• Average_Contents

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Can I wade in?

He’s ginger and he’s sh1t.

The end.

• Legolas

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM

I posted this a few threads back. Just my thoughts on the Colback debate.

Colback doesn’t get the credit for what he does as it goes mainly unnoticed. Every team needs a player like him Kante, coquelin and Henderson to name a few. ( I am not saying he is at that level but is that type of player, an enforcer type) We had Tiote in the past who did the job to allow the likes of Cabaye and Shellvey now to do their jobs effectively. We look better in midfield when he is playing rather than Hayden as he likes to go forward to, and won’t do the dirty work as much as Colback. I am not saying there isn’t better but I wouldn’t swap him for any other in this league.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Lindisfarne
    My point at the beginning of this instalment of the debate included the yellow card thing. It’s an often overblown point. So far this season he has the same amount of bookings as Shelvey, who rarely challenges anyone. Same amount as Dummett. One LESS than Ritchie. One more than Lascelles and Gayle.
    I can’t recall him ever being set off for us?
    And the other bit is the sideways passing, non progressive nature of his play.
    The reality is this has improved.

• Average_Contents

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Seriously though, people saying it’s unfair to judge him last year as the whole team was sh1t and he’s playing much better now because the teams improved yet get all arsey when it’s pointed out that the opposition is below what it was.

Of course he’s going to look better than last year. Hard not too.

He’s found his level imo.

He’s still a ginger….

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:22 PM

When does anyone even mention once the bookings those I mentioned collect? Never. And they are all on around the same amount of cautions.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM

And on that note, back to graft..