Rafa’s Top Assistant Available To Join Him At Newcastle

53 year-old Pako Ayestarab was one of the coaches who spent time as Rafa Benitez’ assistant when Rafa started out in management back in 1996 when he managed his  third club – Osasuna.

Pako  stayed with Rafa as he moved to Extremadura, Tenerife, Valencia and Liverpool and the two men finally parted ways back in September, 2007 after 11 years assisting Rafa.

However the partnership did not end well and at the time Benitez had accused Ayestaran of betrayal after his assistant had talked to other clubs without informing the Spanish manager he may be daparting.

pako-and-rafa-at-liverpool

Pako and Rafa at Liverpool

It’s only recently the two are back on speaking terms and Pako has been interviewed in the Mail and he’s explained what it was like when the two of them were with Liverpool and how they brought new sports science and other things to English football.

This is what he told the Mail:

“We helped English football evolve.” “The players were a bit surprised by the level of monitoring and control. We were taking decisions for them over many facets of where they’d been used to be left alone – diet, training, hours of sleep.”

“Rafa started building a database of players, too.” “He has what can only be described as an obsession – in a good way – over control and being right across things.”

“The idea of worldwide scouting was quite new but he had this database of over 10,000 players, which was new for the time.”

“It was training, factors that influence recovery and recuperation, charts of exactly how many minute a player had played over a season. We dug our man-made ‘Pako Hills’, three mounds with different gradients, at the club’s training ground for stamina and resistance training.”

“At Liverpool, I loved it from day one. It’s the feeling of belonging to a club, to a community. I was in Liverpool Lime Street and people were coming up to me, saying thank you, thank you for coming. I’m thinking ‘f***!’”

“I was in Valencia for many years and I’m only stopped in the street to be criticized and then I come here and they are saying thank you before I have even started.”

Since leaving Liverpool in 2007, Pako has managed the following clubs.

2011–2012    Al-Ahli (assistant)  Dubai
2013–2014    Tecos                Mexico
2014–2015    Maccabi Tel Aviv     Israel
2015	     Santos Laguna        Mexico
2016	     Valencia (assistant) Spain
2016	     Valencia

His last management job was at Valencia and he was appointed manager in May of this year on a two year contract but was sacked in late September when the team were in last place in the league table, having lost all four games of the season.

So Pako is available now – maybe his next stop will be a reunion with Rafa at Newcastle?

He would love it at Newcastle and the fans are very like Liverpool fans.

So maybe in the summer when hopefully we are back in the Premier League?

However, we have to point out we are a little different to Liverpool because we have won absolutely nothing since 1969.

In that time Liverpool have won about 49 trophies, although that’s including the FA Charity / FA Community Shield.

Don’t hold me to the number 49 – I may have missed a few!

🙂

Here they are.

League
First Division: 11
1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80,
1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88,
1989–90

Hey - what about the Premier League?
Cups

FA Cup: 6
 1973–74, 1985–86, 1988–89, 1991–92,
2000–01, 2005–06

League Cup: 8
1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1994–95,
2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12 (record)

FA Charity / Community Shield: 12

1972–73, 1975–76, 2000–01

European Super Cup / UEFA Super Cup: 3
1977, 2001, 2005

WOW.

• G

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Why is the blog constantly arguing about Colback? He does the dirty job of football, in an unfashionable way, however, he is definately a Prem level player, and a big part of us being top of the champo. I’m not saying people have to like him, however, he certainly does not deserve the dogs critisism he is getting.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Why on earth would Rafa even consider someone who’s already shown his disloyalty? Rafa’s not daft and see this report as an ex colleague touting for a job.

The structure that Rafa’s got in place seems to be working well though there’s surely room for him looking at other aspects of the Club. Maybe the development structure’s next on the agenda?

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

G

I wonder if some folk remember the likes of David McCrery who was loved by fans. He had a similar role to Colback but he hadn’t played for the mackems. Jack C had and he gets stick from some fans. He’s a Newcastle lad ffs, get off his back!

• G

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Lesh, when I hear people bang on about his so called limitations this season, then at least I know the person making the statement either hasnt been to a match, or knows jack about football mate. Walter Mitty spotting at its easiest.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Good time to equalize!

• Legolas

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Leah/G

Football is all about opinions and people have the right to say what they want but if you look back on what I said about Colback I think he gets a raw deal because the things he does go unnoticed. It’s a bit like how Dummett gets stick. Not the best footballers but honest pro’s. We have tried the marquee foreign signings. They do t work. Give me a Colback and Dummett any day.

• expatmag

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM

G @ 1

Because the majority of posters on this blog no fcuk all about football, mate. Thats why they criticise the likes of Dummett and Colback

• Tsunki

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Somebody please point out the dogs abuse of Jack Colback ! I’m not finding it!

• G

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM

@7 bang on the money mate. I’ll always take unglamourous grafters over primadonnas that only perform one in four games mate. A consistent 6 out of 10 player is better over the course of a season than a player who gets 9 out 10 for 1 game followed by 3 lots of 5 out of 10. I would love to see a field full of tricky players performing every weekend, its about as likely as the wife turning sexy though.

• WWSBRD

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Haha well at least I know that these fight still occur when I give the blog a miss for the day

I couldn’t be fussed to read it all (there was a lot) but I take it Colback has been questioned for the future

• G

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Tsunki, since the weekend there have been loads of posts suggesting he is too limited, should be dropped, should be sold, isnt fit for the Prem etc. Given his contribution to the team since Rafa come in and took the shackles off, then those comments are in my opinion dogs abuse. I don’t want to fall out with posters, however there’s only so much talking sh1t I can put up with. I respect most peoples opinions, but listening to that drivvel is doing my nut.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I think the fact that Colback is Ginger really doesn’t help his cause. I would aliken him to a house brick the only difference being that the brick is more likely to get laid.

• WWSBRD

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM

G
    That’s not abuse that’s opinions on the lads quality as a footballer

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Betty
    I’m sure there are loads of flame haired beauties out there who would bat their auburn lashes at Wor Jack.

• G

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:03 PM

@14, I think my post @1 covers my opinion nicely. I’m sick of people singling him out even when he has a good game. He’s probably the best team contributor we have had for a good while. Just because he isnt a flair player doesnt make him a bad one.

• lesh

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM

BBC2 tv tonight at 10pm gmt. Focus on the north east clubs.

• WWSBRD

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:14 PM

G
    I get not being abusive mate am not keen on it either but expressing an opinion on the pros and cons of a certain player isn’t abusing them haha it’s evaluating them

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Sing…. I suppose he’s always got going grey to look forward to.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Betty
    You ever ‘been out’ with a ginger lass?

• Laurent Robert 32

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Hatem with assist from corner there in Champions League against Arsenal.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Sing….. Yes, one or two. Many years ago.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM

1G // Nov 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Why is the blog constantly arguing about Colback?
    You’ve answered your question on posting why you rate him. It is only his biggest fans that are inventing claims that he is getting ‘dogs abuse’ for the umteenth time a lot of posters reckon he’s doing a great job at a lower level, if Rafa sees him as the man to propel us in to the top six and CL then a lot of people will be proved wrong, if we see him at Villa or Norwich in a season or two then they won’t.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:38 PM

ToF who called him a ginger freak is an exception, the guy is an oddball.

• WWSBRD

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:40 PM

For the record I quite like Colback personally

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Someone get water his hair is on fire. Ner nenenenenne ne nene etc.

Shouldn’t be giving out ideas as he’s our player. Lol.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Colback sucks, he only pass the ball close to the player to his right or left, he doesn’t go pass players or long balls apart from the one he done against Leeds, only time he plays well, got no pace, and he gives the ball away.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Only joking, thought i join in the argument.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:59 PM

He’s not that bad, we’ve had worse.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Welshie….. That’s rather a harsh condemnation. He’s doing ok at the moment allowing Shelvey some freedom but he does slow our attacks down.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:04 PM

27, 28 &29
    Sums up your contribution to the blog over the last two and a half years.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Jail

Will you get a frigging sense of humour, you are like an old woman playing bingo.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Welshie…….. Maybe you should take up playing bridge. You’ll find it very similar to your sex life. If you don’t have a good partner make sure you have a good hand.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM

So apart from moanjng about ex managers and people on here, what exactly do you bring because you don’t always talking about football, pot kettle.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:14 PM

and jail I think you have been banging on about colback most of the day, very boring talking about the same thing don’t you think.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:16 PM

23 and 24 comments not really contributing.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Much improved banner! Where’s Peter Beardsley? Nipped out for a chip butty, tizer, and a bag of liquorice allsorts. Get on it Reilly.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM

I think we should all cut Welshie a bit of slack. He is a self made man after all , so it’s good of him to take the blame.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Bettyswallocks

Ah you so sweet.

Ha ha ha

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Ah ok, I see, the first 11 so to speak. Still Pedro must be considered very unlucky indeed to miss out, and a hotly contested omission. Best player I’ve ever seen in a Newcastle shirt.