How Blackburn Striker Views Newcastle United

21-year-old Southampton striker Sam Gallagher is on loan at Blackburn Rovers from Southampton for the season and he has done very well scoring 7 goals in 17 appearances for Blackburn.

The 6ft 4ins striker, who was born in Devon, is looking forward to the game against Newcastle on Saturday, and he thinks the Magpies are the biggest club in the second division for a while – he’s probably right there.

sam-gallgher

Sam Gallagher – Blackburn’s 21 year-old on-loan striker

This is what Sam said on Blackburn’s web-site.

“It is probably the biggest club that’s been down in this division for a while, so I’m certainly looking forward to St James’ Park and playing in front of a big crowd.

“They’ve been playing well. They’ve been scoring a lot of goals and playing good football, so that’s one thing that we’ll be aware of, but we’ll also look to play our own game and cause our own problems.

“We’ve been putting in good performances, but letting goals slip or little decisions have maybe gone against us, so we feel like we’ve been a bit hard done by recently, so the three points on Saturday were much welcomed.

“We’ve needed it for a little while and it’s something that we felt we’ve deserved for a bit as well.

“If you look at the results and the performances we’ve put in against big teams – the Aston Villa game, Derby away – they’re all big games and we definitely didn’t shy away from them.

“We showed good character and good quality on the pitch as well, which is one thing we’ve got throughout the squad.”

“We’ve got competition for all places and I definitely believe that we’ve got enough to climb the table.”

Blackburn had a good 3-2 win at home to Brentford last Saturday and they cannot be taken for granted.

Newcastle will need to be on form if we are to get our 10th win in a row and create at least one new record at the club this season.

Here’s hoping.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Blackburn?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Bobby (from previous)
    I didn’t really focus on one game – I was channel hopping I’m afraid.
    I’ll probably do the same tonight with the Europa League games

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Jib, poor effort from them. I’d be furious if I was a Borrussia fan.
    Clint, already booked my place mate. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Clint, can’t see us losing many more games this season tbh. Won’t say never, because that’s asking for trouble, but from what I’ve witnessed so far there’s little to worry us in this league. Complacency is our biggest enemy but can’t see Rafa tolerating that either. I thought it would be tougher than it has been if I’m honest. For all the hype around the Leeds game I thought it was one of our easier wins.

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM

From what I’ve seen either at the games or on TV, I really don’t see much competition. Birmingham look like a decent outfit who play the ball around. That’ll be a decent game home and away. Derby starting to shine under McCartney for some reason and Villa finally waking up, but they’re too far adrift to catch us now. Too many teams taking points off each other to worry us. I went for a final total of 103 points I believe, but that might be too conservative. With two strong sides available to Rafa at any given point, I simply can’t see where a threat will come from. The rest are playing for second place and the play offs.

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM

I can see the odd team coming up here and causing a surprise like wolves/Huddersfield did, but not Blackburn. The loss of hanley and duffy was massive for them and they’ve not been replaced. Gallagher looks like a good prospect to be fair, wonder if Rafa will be tempted to play Hanley for his aerial strength?
    Can see Gayle getting another couple here

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM

McCartney Ffs! McClaren obviously. Predictive keeps catching me out. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Jay, no doubt we will lose a game or two because shit happens, but seriously, have you seen anything to worry you so far matey? I like the look of Birmingham and fancy them as dark horses for the play offs at least, but don’t see where the threat to us will come from. Any Suggestions?

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM

@bobbybee – 2 strong sides available to Rafa and I’ve got a feeling we’ll had 1 or 2 in January too! Player for player, I’d imagine our 2nd 11 of Sels, Yedlin, Mbemba,Hanley,Gamez, Atsu, Hayden, Tiote, Lazaar, Perez, Mitrovic is probably the 2nd strongest line up in the league only bettered by our first team of Darlow, Anita, Clark, Lascelles, Dummet, Ritchie, Shelvey, Colback, Gouffran, diame and gayle
    ridiculous strength in depth

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Aye, it’s definitely looking up for us right now. I think we’d hold our own in the PL tbh, but I know Rafa isn’t thinking along the lines of holding our own. Can’t wait to see who he’s got lined up for the summer window, but when you look how he assembled this squad for a league he knew little about, you can only imagine what he has up his sleeve for our tilt at the big boys next season. Just the superior coaching has improved every one of our players. Long time coming but more than welcome.

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Actually had us to go up 2nd to Brighton at the start of the season, thought all the upheaval would take a while for rafa to get us settled. The job the guy’s done has been phenomenal, not sure he gets enough credit!
    From the team that started last season, to the team that started this, Benitez only had 3 of the starting line up still at the club in anita, colback and mbemba. Usually takes a long time for that kind of turn around to gel!
    Think we should have our targets on points records! Brighton will be our nearest! Rightly so too, lot of time for Hoots! Should have gone up last season!

• Jib

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Gerrard
    is confirming his retirement from playing footy.

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Jay, aye, with you on the Brighton issue. Chris Hughton deserves all the credit that goes his way mate and promotion behind us is the least he deserves. Not had much money to spend but makes up for that with his coaching skills. I just hope they don’t run out of steam again and they make it this time. I had us to win the league but expected us to be pushed harder than has happened. Bookies now have us at 33/1 ON to go up, if ye fancy risking 33 grand to win one! 🙂 Naw, me neither. Not that I don’t believe we’ll do it, I just ain’t got 33 grand! 🙂

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM

@bobbybee – actually kind of annoyed me, people saying we’d struggle because Rafa didn’t know the league. Its similar to saying Messi would struggle at this level. He wouldn’t. He’d pee all over it! Rafas an elite level manager for a reason. And with all respect, people like mcclaren, pearson, clough etc haven’t managed Liverpool, Madrid, or won champions leagues because simply they’re not good enough! A match is as much manager vs manager as it is players vs players and Rafa is the best manager at this level since Brian Clough. Could never envisage him being out prepared or thought by the likes of Gary Bowyer, any of the 5 managers forest will have etc
    Think it shows a lot about the level of punditry in this country when they suggested that at the start of the season. Too many of them comment on sides when clearly they’ve never watched them. Similarly, they seem to have zero knowledge of football outside of england

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Jay, even after our bad start and all the catterwhaling about doom and gloom I still said we’d win it. Rafa doesn’t need to know the league, he just needs to know about football and you’d struggle to find a more knowledgeable manager. I also found it disrespectful that people were questioning his ability just because of the league we were in. He simply prepares for games in the Championship the same as he would for games in the PL or Europe – to win. We play proper football in this league and teams can’t live with it. All the hype about the Leeds game and it was a doddle. I’m not dissing other teams, just pointing out the obvious – huge club, best fan base, best manager leading better players. The outcome was, imo, inevitable. Looking for a goal fest on Saturday, but as usual will take 1-0 if that’s how it pans out.

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Jib, is he still in line for the MK Don’s job? Looks like a good few candidates after that one.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:39 AM

@BobbyBee

My worry at the start of the season was that we would take a while to get going and maybe play very negative especially when the first couple of games had Anita , Colback and Hayden in midfield where we offered nothing going forward but Rafa changed it once Shelvey got his act together!

Its refreshing to see a manager willing to try new things if its not been working Mclaren and Pardew would have just picked the same team regardless of result!

Every so called “challenger” that we have played we have won comfortably apart from the Villa game although we should have been out of sight by half time they got very lucky!!

Would anyone be looking to rest Colback, Shelvey and Gayle this weekend? Some of them are a yellow card away from a ban and would prefer them fresh for the Cup game on Tuesday! Atsu , Mitrovic and Diame need game time in the league

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Gerrard turned down the Mk Dons job. Said it was too soon, though MK dons are being turned down left right and centre so might be more to that!
    Wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t end the season this year coaching, probably at Liverpool although wouldn’t surprise me if he did a few sessions at Newcastle or Celtic! Seems to want to learn, if Sky had much about them they’d get him on Monday night football with Neville and Carragher

• jayphoto

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM

@Bobbybee – theres been a couple of stand out games to me, where I thought we’d be in for a game and we’ve actually walked it! Derby away, Brighton, Leeds and you’re right, we completely nullified them. Very professional performances!
    The only time I’ve seen us outplayed was Reading, at we won 4-1 but in truth the played us off the park for a good 2 thirds of the match! Even in the losses, we were the more dominant side, just wasted chances

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM

An interesting state that puts three Barnsley players ahead of all of ours as standout players in the Championship. Not one Toon player in the top ten, despite us being streets ahead of anybody else. This is just BS again.
    Lee, Aye, we can afford to rest a few for the game at Hull. Give me a trip to Wembley to cap the season off. Those bans have to be served eventually so I imagine Rafa is working out who can be booked and when. You’re right of course that Saturday would be a good time to rest certain regulars and it’s not like we’re weakening the team in doing so. We can beat Blackburn without the first choice eleven and save them for the cup game. Don’t go with the ‘one or the other’ option with this squad – 2-0 we can go for both.

• Bobbybee

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Jay, strange game innit? I thought Reading were the best team we’ve played at home, but thought we won it deservedly. 🙂 Like the Norwich game – how mad was that? 3-1 down and then I thought ‘where did that come from?’ A pen, a worldy and a deflected shot and a game we’ d dominated looking to run away from us. Showed immense character to turn that around though. I don’t bother myself worrying what might happen if this or that occurs, I’m just enjoying the moment. Long time coming after all. 🙂 So far this season has been wonderful and seeing us play teams off the park makes such a change from the last few disastrous seasons. Not sure you really enjoy the highs if you haven’t put up with the lows! 🙂 Love to be in Wembley Stadium, holding a cup aloft and all singing ‘we’ve never won f***all’ 🙂

• lesh

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Bobby

McCartney for McLaren’s an understandable slip. McCartney’s a characterless tw@t who plays rubbish too.