Newcastle Hero In EFL Team Of The Week

It shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that Newcastle goalkeeper Karl Darlow is in the EFL Team of the Week.

There’s not too many goalkeepers who can say they saved two penalties in the space of just 10 minutes but that’s what Karl did to keep Newcastle in the game on Friday night at Nottingham Forest – and the saves he made were quite brilliant.

Karl is starting to make quite a name for himself at Newcastle this season.

• Jib

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Is that almost a smile ?

The bus is moving fast today

;-D

• Jib

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Is that almost a smile ?

The bus is moving fast today

ha ha ha

• Yo-yo

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM

All the best to Ian Cathro at Hearts, I had him marked down as a possible successor to Rafa after 5 years or so of the Rafalution.

Heaart are a decent side and doing well at 3rd in the SPL. They’re well capable of challenging Gers for 2nd spot. We’ll soon find out.
    Craig Levein and Cathro have worked together in the past at a Dundee United side that was almost overachieving under them, and Levein is now DoF at Hearts and the ex manager who had their best SPL winning run ever a few years back.

Cathro’s character as a supposed ‘loner’ is less important in his new role than his coaching abilities and it was quite an accolade that Rafa thought him good enough to keep on after last regime got dumped. I think he’ll have learned a lot from Rafa to take with him.
    If he steers Hearts to 2nd or a close 3rd this season and has a few wins over supposedly better sides like the Dons or Hoops then he’ll have done well. So good luck to him and thanks for everything he’s done at the Toon.

DISCLAIMER no information in this post was extracted from a Google search

• Jib

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Yo yo

clever boy take a goldstar.

btw google is a resource – it’s not illegal to use it – ask Mr Tuff he cannot live with out it and Wikipedia.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM

yoyo

yes I’m very sad to see cathro leave. by all accounts a very innovative guy who I was hoping would be groomed for a future bigger role at sjp. one of those, where like a player, there’d be some kind of return clause inserted.

• martoon

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I hate to say this but as good a coach as Cathro is (by all accounts) I just can’t see him making a success of managing Hearts. I think it has come too early and his age and experience are against him – I just can’t see him gaining the respect of experienced pros who are older than him!

• hibbit

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM

martoon
    harts offered him the job and he excepted it he must have confidence in his own ability and think he can handle the every day pressure of management
    all we can do is thank him for his effort and wish him good luck

• Rotonda heights

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM

accepted

• hibbit

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Rotonda heights

thanks missed that one silly me !!

• martoon

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Hibbit – I’m sure he does have confidence in his own ability as does every football manager but sometimes it is misplaced. I wish him well but as I say I think the opportunity has come a little bit too early in his career – but you can’t blame him for taking it.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Jib – ooh you are awful but I like you.
    Certainly nothing at all bad about using Google and Wikepedia.
    Some of us though already have a knowledge of football in general and NUFC in particular and it is not the total source of our knowledge -unlike some folk I could mention.

• martoon

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Just thought I’d beat Ed & Jib to this: 🙂

• davetoon

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:47 PM

He may as well take the chance as another may not come. Worst that can happen is he gets a nice payout and has to be number 2 ti wally again, this time at Derb

• bettyswallocks

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Jib. …. Do you have a transit van?

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM

So Newcastle are appealing both red cards, quite right too, Maybe the FA will now take a look at just how poor S. (jerk ) Martin really is, (if they don’t already know, that is) and give him a job befitting his skill level, maybe toilet attendant at the FA.

• SPRINGY

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Wonder if rafa was willing to let cathro go with steve gerrard hangin up his boots,maybe bring him in? …..mind you gerrard sounded like he desperately wanted to go back to liverpool under klippety…so he myt not fancy joinin us if offered…. just a thought like.

• SPRINGY

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Firebug
    I dont see the f.a giving us any breaks….wont reflect well on them…i expect both to be upheld…. unfortunately…..and martin given a quiet word behind closed doors.

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM

SPRINGY

Normally I would agree with you, the FA never ever look kindly on us, but even they MUST take some retrospective action over that diabolical referee, and Lansbury too.

If they do nothing then all the fans should petition them and force action, because if this is allowed to pass it is they (the FA) themselves who are allowing the game to be brought into disrepute.

There is always a case for poor refereeing, in any match, but S. Jerk Martin took the Forrest game to a whole new level of incompetence, and Lansbury…. still to angry to be honest.

Penalty not given to us
    Goal disallowed
    Shelvey scythed down and sent off
    Dummet sent of for nowt
    Wrong penalty decisions given to them.

The whole thing looked like a case of match fixing, it was a game the ref would make sure we lost.

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM

SPRINGY

Oh and the ref only lives 46 miles from the City Ground, go figure.

• Ron Knee

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Typical Chronicle non-story:-

“Stephen Martin dropped

“Meanwhile, after his poor performance in the Forest game, Stephen Martin has not been given a EFL game to officiate this weekend.

“He will make his return on Tuesday, however, as he’s been appointed referee for Fulham vs Rotherham.”

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Ron

It’s typical though, they leave him out of the weekend games as they will have enough on their plate with the Premiership fixtures, give him midweek while the Prem teams rest lol.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Mister Tuff

Particularly as it related to myself, either deliberately or accidently, I was very disappointed with your uncalled for use of disparaging name calling and patronising tone. Especially as you have often been known to call out others for such infractions of blog etiquette.

Despite myself, I will explain my reasoning for initially attempting to question the red card Shelvey received, but not the player himself. As you point out, Rafa says there was a kick, this can mean anything from the use of the foot to a violent force. So I do not believe you are wholly justified in waving the managers words in support of your opinion. My initial perspective was that there was no blatantly obvious use of force to cause harm and rather than a deliberate identifiable kick, the linesman reacted more to the theatrics of the initial wrong-doer.

In discussion with others on here, I then conceded that rather a natural fall and subsequent tangle, there was some attempt by Shelvey to cause injury which can be observed through the motion of his legs. I would contend that the linesman may have initially thought there was a facial injury, but I certainly thought it was unfortunate that officials, commentators and NUFC fans immediately jumped to extreme conclusions based on a predetermined view of the character involved.

I hope this explains my rather unfortunate reaction to your comment.

• Ron Knee

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM

firebug

They say he’s been “dropped”. It’s pure speculation.

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Lindisfarne

It was pointed out by Rafa that Shelvey retaliated to Lansbury, who first fouls him, and then kicks out at him, only then did Shelvey react, and Lansbury attempted to win an Oscar.

• firebug666

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Ron

True.

Anyway of to shops.

• Belfast

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Well not getting a game the following weekend is them admitting he was shite basically. Gives us some hope of having the cards rescinded but I wouldn’t count your chickens.

• Belfast

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM

I think that’s what generally happens if they have a really bad game Ron. One week off or a fourth official gig at Newport.

• Belfast

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM

No offence to Newport I’m sure it’s nice. 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Firebug

Get us a Kit-Kat.

I struggle to see a definitive blow and it is a scientifically proven fact that criminals are more likely to be charged with an offence when the act is replayed in slow motion. I believe the sending off was a harsh punishment.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM

From NUFC.com
    “Our visit to Brentford is currently a Sky live game on Monday January 16th, but wouldn’t be played if either ourselves or the Bees were in Third Round replay action that week (they entertain non-league opponents in shape of Eastleigh or FC Halifax).

NB: We’re unable to confirm or deny the rumour doing the rounds that were the Brentford game to move from Monday 16th it wouldn’t go back to Saturday 14th as previously announced and would be played later in the season on a date yet to be agreed).”

I’ve just rang Brentford ticket office and they say it would go back to the Saturday but can’t confirm it. Here’s hoping that Brentford get knocked out and we win comfotably getting Halifax or Eadtleigh at home in the next round 😀

• Ron Knee

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Belfast

But is it because they consider he blundered or simply to take him out of the ‘media spotlight’?

• Jib

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM

• Mag52

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I admire the way that Shelvey has got his fitness sorted out since last season, and how he has improved his performance level since the latter days of our time in the PL.
    His recent performance v Forest was, for a player who must still have ambitions to play for his country, pretty mindless, bearing in mind the fact that he already had a 5 match ban hanging over him from the abuse charge.
    If he now ends up with eight games out, something approaching a quarter of those left to play this season, it gives Rafa a huge problem with re-jigging the team, and let’s his team mates down big time.
    Home ref. or not, you must never give a w@nker like Martin the opportunity to dismiss your playmaker.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Lindisfarne – re the Shelvey incident.
    My taunts at those who had got the Shelvey incident completely wrong was in generalisation and not aimed specifically at anyone. Apologies if you were offended.
    However, from my perspective, it seemed rather obvious that Shelvey was kicking out, I could see it clearly -so assume others can see what I am seeing – evidence before our very own eyes.
    I saw the lash out – and did not mask my view by wearing black and white specs or use any other device to satisfy myself nothing had occurred. It was as plain as the nose on my face.
    Now then – if folk are kicking out or attempting to kick out when the ball is not there – it has to be violent conduct (as per rules of the game) – obviously they cannot make the excuse they were attempting to play the ball – if the ball is not there to be played.

Clearly the linesman saw the kick out -he must have done otherwise no infraction would have been punished.
    We all probably do not want our players sent off – but when it’s obvious they broke the rules – well they have to take the consequences.