If Newcastle Take Things For Granted – It’s At Their Peril

Matt Ritchie has done the interview duties today in the local press and he says he doesn’t think that the Championship is any more competitive than it was two years ago.

It’s just there is so much money to be made these days in the Premier League that’s it’s a huge opportunity for Championship clubs to get into the big time – at least in money terms.

And Matt has some experience of the Championship and getting out of it,  since he was part of the Championship winning side Bournemouth when they were promoted in 2015 with 90 points.

And the Cherries had a terrific emotional win over Liverpool on Sunday at Dean Court, when Liverpool were winning 3-1 and then managed to concede three goals in the last 14 minutes to lose the game 4-3.

Here’s three Liverpool fans after the game.

🙁 🙁 🙁

newcastle-s-matt-ritchie-celebrates-scoring-their-first-goal-5

Matt Ritchie after scoring just before half time last Friday night

This is what Matt has said in the Shields Gazette today when asked if the Championship was tougher than it used to be:

“You have the clubs that have come down from the Premier League with the money from TV. “

“It’s such a huge prize to get to the Premier League, so the Championship clubs throw everything at it.” “I wouldn’t say it is more competitive than two years ago, because it always was anyway.”

“But I understand the prize is so big that clubs throw anything at it to get in the Premier League. “There was us Norwich, Brighton and Watford and Middlesbrough two years ago.”

“Middlesbrough looked like the team all season, but then at the end Bournemouth and Watford snuck in.” “It was a successful season.”

“You look at the league and we were five points clear, all of a sudden you drop points and it’s tight again,” “It is so early to start talking about who your competitors are.”

“You have to concentrate on yourselves and make sure our performances are right and that we keep picking up points.”

“We’re in a good position, I expected to be in and around it. “Hopefully, we can continue to perform the way we have been in the league.”

“The performances have been very good and we want to continue to pick up points.”

That’s a very good interview with Matt Richie and he seems to be such a sensible lad – and certainly not getting carried away with things.

Newcastle still have a lot of work to do this season if we are to achieve promotion and we should never assume it’s definitely going to happen.

Things can change so very quickly as Norwich City can attest to.

They beat Rotherham at home 3-1 on October 15th and were top of the league and in the next seven games they lost five and drew two before getting a win last weekend at home to Brentford.

So we cannot take anything for granted this season – we would do so at our peril.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Birmingham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lindisfarne

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Mister Tuff

How about my supposition that Shelvey was sent off for allegedly striking the opponent in the face. It would explain the red card being recinded whilst not contradicting Rafas statement that he kicked him.

• mindshaft

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Could be right about the refs report containing completely wrong information on the Shelvey sending off, he didn’t see it and has reported whatever the linesman from 50 yards thought he saw – probably helped that Lansbury was rolling round like a compl3te tw4t clutching his face
    Shame he didn’t get banned for 10 games, the FA really need to kick out this play acting by using retrospective bans

• Mister Tuff

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Lesh repost.
    Mister Tuff // Dec 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Springy – now of the opinion as follows re the Shelvey incident.
    At the time of the incident (Shelvey) the linesman did not see the foul by Lansbury on Shelvey but saw Shelvey kicking out at Lansbury and notified the ref.
    The ref upon receiving this information deems that Shelvey is the aggressor in this off the ball incident for violent conduct in the box and correctly (AS FAR AS HE KNEW AT THE TIME) sends Shelvey off and awards the penalty.
    (please note violent conduct in off the ball incidents -IS a direct free kick or in the box a pen).

At the hearing video evidence shows Lansbury scythed down Shelvey and Shelvey reacted. It is also seen Lanbury feigning injury.

When all the misconduct is not seen by the officials – the Commission are entitled to use discretion and flexibility.
    (This comes from the McManaman scything down Haidara case).

The Commision uses their discretion and overturns the red card punishment.

The Commission having seen evidence of Lansburys mischief also note he put the brakes on in front of Dummett and dangled a leg in.
    No foul by Dummett.

There we go sorted – it would appear I was right all along.
    Apologies will be accepted now or if you wish wait until we get the written decision.

Loonies and objectors if you do not agree please don’t just rant that and drag up historical rucks to have a pop. Explain your position/argument and we can debate it.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:07 PM

People can quote rules, regulations and interpretatons of the Shelvey incident all day but it looks as though the ref and the FA have made it up as they’ve went along. Personally I don’t think anything other than good old fashioned common semse has had Shelveys card overturned.

• sing in the corner

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM

JfA
    Amen to that!

mister tuff
    Stop wriggling man.

• posada

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Common sense should play a part. Compared to the tackles by Man U and Man City plaers our two were nothing like as bad.
    Taking things for granted. That starts with the supporters.
    Last home game. No atmosphere. We loose and people simply drift away as if it does not matter.
    Needs cranking up. Football match not a theatre production.
    If folks want a for sure happy ending then take the bairns to a pantomime.

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM

What Jail said

What SITC said ha ha 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM

sing – no wriggling mate – confident I’m bang on the money.
    Was unaware that the fallout from the Haidara case was relevant.
    They had that daft rule about the officials dealing with the incident at the time and afterwards no further sanctions could be introduced.
    Thats when they amended the rules to allow the Commission a bit of common sense so they could introduce their discretion and flexibility in the cases they dealt with.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Tuff, this is not me having a go. Nor did I yesterday, I was simply laughing at you for making such a dick of yourself. As was everybody else. You assumed it was for old scores, but as I invariably make you look a dick in our ‘rucks’ as you call them, why would it be for that? This is not about you being right or wrong, but you simply don’t get it. It was the way you attacked others, calling them your usual childish names etc. Because you thought you had it right, you launched into others about how little they knew, calling them nobles. Simply because you thought that for once, using Google, you had something right re football. Granted, it would have been a first, but to launch into the attack you did, against people who have forgotten more than you’ll ever know about football, was a major mistake. Even now you won’t accept YOU WERE WRONG. Any ridicule you got was justified. You brought it on yourself with your insufferable arrogance. We were laughing at you BECAUSE of the arrogance, not because you got it wrong. Ffs, you get everything wrong re football, we’d never stop laughing if it was about football. I have no old scores to settle with you you clown, I always settle them on the night by tying you and your cronies in knots. Still, I’m done laughing now – although the odd giggle does slip out when I remind myself of it. The longer you keep insisting you were right, the longer this will drag onso why not just say I was wrong. I was wrong on the ref and I was really wrong to insult other bloggers when my head expanded to the size of the room. Get over yourself and apologise.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Jail –

NO way did the FA resort to “common sense”.

The way I see it –
    The FA looked at the whole incident and found inconsistencies
    and an unfair consequence.
    They relied on the Assistant’s reference to a kick in the face
    as the basis for overturning the red card.

Based solely on THAT logic, had Shelvey kicked Lansbury
    in the goolies, he would still have had the red card overturned.

BUT – we know that would NOT have happened.

I reckon the FA could see a number of errors and wanted to try
    to put things right (and avoid further ramifications)
    SO – decided to overturn Shelvey’s red card based on
    the Assistants reference to a kick in the face.

• sing in the corner

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Much as I am hopeful Jonjo will get off with the next charge on the agenda…I can’t help feeling a bit nervous at the prospect of him not learning anything about his attitude, about being wise / responsible.. Because he needs to. I don’t want him to feel as if he’s bullet proof and can do what he likes.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Nobles? nobler s.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Nobles? Nobbers even. Must remember to check the spellchecker. Which sounds a pointless exercise in itself. 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Look whos back in the room not to cause an argument or insult anyone, just “football talk” ha ha. It’ll be someone else’s fault if an argument does start though.

• WWSBRD

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Tuff@3
    Is that what the FA has said about over turning the reds?

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Just to try and stop your boyfriend embarrassing himself even more Tsunki. Oh, whilst you’re both here. Still waiting to hear when you last went to a Toon game? As you’re normally on here on match day I was curious. You gave the question a body swerve yesterday, so let’s hear it.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Sing, I reckon Rafa will sit him down and read him the riot act after that. It was petulant and he can consider himself lucky to have got off this time. We can’t afford to lose our better players for acts of aggression or petulance and no doubt Rafa will reinforce this in no uncertain terms.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Being 7 hours ahead of (most of) you {location, not claiming
    any special foresight}
    and trying to catch up with the Blog – have I got it wrong?

First, Tuff seems to say he got it wrong on Shelvey, and
    explains, and now
    He was right all along?

Could this be an all-time classic?
    Or – have I got it wrong somewhere??

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Toonincheek. You’ve got it right matey. Classic.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM

toonincheek,
    Everything you just said points towards the fact that common sense was applied. Shelvey did kick out as did David Beckham all those years ago so technically it’s a red. The FA imo took the diabolical reffing of the whole match, the provocation and then theatrics in to account be using common sense.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Before

• sing in the corner

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Bobby
    Aye that’s what I’m hoping…I think he has had the same conversation with Mitro and it seems to have sunk in with him so you never know.

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Sorry Bobby didn’t know you were asking me about match day attendance, in answer I haven’t been able to get to a game since the Cheltenham one, had to give away Wolves tickets as something urgent came up, I’ve even missed a few of our radio games and had to catch up later. That do you? I realise I’m not a proper fan, of course, ever since I gave up my ST a couple of years ago I’ve had a hard time getting to matches with other commitments keeping me busy. I’m hoping to see a few in the new year though. Probably not enough to make me worthy of involvement, but hey – you can only do what you can only do.

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Actually I try not to be normally on here match day.

• SPRINGY

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Bobbybee
    Theres been a few players of late you could describe as being niggly and had a few iffy challenges…not nasty but like i say niggly,so shelvey gettin lucky will give him the ammunition to lay into the whole squad to remind them of there responsibilities and not get involved in needless bollicks….i also think the performances this week and the cards debacle will have the squad on a high,hopefully a worthy performance on sat will set us on a decent run again.

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM

And FYI Bobby re your inappropriate and typical comment, all I know about Mr T is his blog ID, I don’t think it counts as being his boyfriend.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Jail –

The Beckham incident was very much in my mind.
    Hardly a kick – more of a flick.
    BUT – it WAS retaliation.

Shelvey ‘pushed’ with his leg/foot – not really as kick.
    (then again, I don’t reckon Pardew ‘headbutt was a true
    headbutt – no definite forward action – more pushing his
    head into the gut).

Yes – common sense was applied
    But – the FA can only apply common sense if the are
    DEFINITE errors – as in the reference to a kick to Lansbury’s
    head, when video evidence showed that did not happen.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Jail, not sure he connected mate, hence the withdrawal. Imo he was trying to free his leg and was a bit over zealous. My point is, if they decided he did kick him, then regardless of anything else, he would have seen red. Provocation isn’t a defence. I reckon they looked again, seen there wasn’t a kick that connected and turned it over. Lansbury’s reaction would only have helped our cause. The linesman was conned, but he should’ve stuck to the letter of the law. When I did my refs course at school – long time ago granted – we were told that even if it’s obvious what has happened, unless we see it with our own eyes, we can’t surmise and must play on. The lino guessed and that would’ve affected the decision.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I hope that the clamour to have Mitro starting over our most prolific and Championshiop top scorer dies down, as much as I like Mitro he has put just as many duff appearances in as good ones this season. Gayle has proved he can do the business at this level consistently.

• sing in the corner

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Let’s face it the whole refereeing, cards, sendings off, penalties situation is a complete mess.
    The best example I can use is the Rojo assault against Everton.
    You look at our two red cards and put it up against Rojo’s yellow and you wonder how this can happen.
    We need some kind of in-game review system if the game is ever going to be fair, and bias towards the big names, big clubs is ever going to be eradicated.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Sorry Tsunki, my mistake. Just the way you jump in to defend him even when he’s wrong, it was an easy assumption to make. I defend our lass that way too.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:58 PM

bobbybee –

Before you question my attendance at SJP,
    My last home game was Wolves.
    1960, I think!!!

Been exiled mostly since then.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Bobby,
    If you swung a punch at a player and it missed, don’t quote me on this but I’m sure you’d see a red card, nothing to do eith it connecting.
    toonincheek,
    I don’t think there is a rule that says if a player holds his face after minimal contact on his leg that the perpetrator will have his red card overturned, this is why I think the rule book has been set aside and common sense been applied.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:01 PM

sitc –

It must be obvious that you cannot compare directly
    incidents in different football matches, different teams,
    different situations.

So – absolutely no basis for any argument.

For sure, Rojo should have got a red card
    AND – the FA should have increased the ban to 10 games.
    THAT@S how bad the challenge was.

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Sing, the sooner they bring in video replays the better marra. Some will go against us obviously, but better to get it right than guess wrongly. That feeling of injustice drags on long after the final whistle. I too was amazed both got decisions overturned, because I thought they’d leave one – Shelvey – just to save face.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM

My internet connection was playing up yesterday, I was connected but couldn’t actually bring up any sites including this one.

Just wondering if someone was piggy backing my router.

Anyway the Shelvey/Dummett situation is now water long passed under the Tyne Bridge and we can move forward and get back onto a winning track with refs not minkeys in charge of our games.

There’s a lot of runny sh!t pouring out of clubs cos of the abuse scandal, as someone asked the other day is it just the British leagues or is there a dam ready to burst in the rest of the world.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Jail –

I think the FA used the Assistant Ref’s reference to a kick
    to the face to say a mistake was made.
    I said 2-3 days ago. the Assistant CANNOT have seen the whole
    incident or he would have first flagged for Lansbury’s tackle.

Errors of judgement are NOT as mistake.

Not really arguing with you – just a slightly different emphasis.

• sing in the corner

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Toonincheek
    Alright, let me put it this way:
    if Shelvey, or Shawcross, etc had made that challenge (Rojo’s) do you think it likely they would have received a yellow card?

• Bobbybee

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Jail, a swing of a punch is a red card offence. Shelvey didn’t connect because he wasn’t trying to. He was simply freeing his legs that Lansbury had deliberately held on to. If it wasn’t a kick, there was nothing to send him off for. The FA don’t do, and never have done, commonsense. Not in their remit. 🙂 Unless the FA have a rush of commonsense and decide to tell us why, sadly I doubt we’ll ever know.

• toonincheek

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:12 PM

sitc –

OK – if your point was the influence of big clubs, rather than
    just the inconsistency of decisions –
    Agreed.