More Criticism For Newcastle

50 year-old Sky Sports pundit and former West Brom, Sunderland and Wolves striker Don Goodman had a good article out yesterday, when he looked at various clubs near the top of the Premier League and how they are faring.

He covered Brighton, Aston Villa, Norwich, Huddersfield and …. Newcastle.

Huddersfield have followed Norwich on a bad run of form and they have just one win and five defeats in their last eight games.

Sky Sports pundit Don Goodman

Before beating Brentford 5-0 at home last Saturday Norwich had gone seven games with five defeats and two draws.

🙁

And we know that Newcastle have lost three games in a row after going on a nine game winning streak.

Let’s hope that streak doesn’t get any worse on Saturday.

Don is looking at the games coming up over the next 10 days when we play Birmingham at home and Wigan and Burton on the road.

This is what the pundit had to say about Newcastle:

“Will Newcastle stumble further?”

After facing Birmingham at home they go to Wigan on #10in10, a team who are capable of springing up a surprise in this division.”

“It’s obvious Rafa Benitez’s side are the strongest in the Championship, but that counts for nothing if you go on a wretched run that is difficult to dig yourself out of.”

“It’s more about morale and character in those situations than skill, particularly in this league.”

The hashtag #10in10 refers to 10 televised Football League fixtures from Sky Sports over 10 consecutive days, starting tomorrow night with the game between Brighton and Leeds United – that should be some game.

Don’s right that this is all about character more than anything else, so three wins in the next three games can see us in a very good position before Christmas.

Next up after those next three games is a tough game at home on Boxing Day against Sheffield Wednesday.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Birmingham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• toontaff2

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM

He’s right and have to say the way 9men battled we have an abundance of morale and character go with being better players, so should wipe the floor with these poor sides!

• toontaff2

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM

I visited SJP in the 80’s, had a seat by the corner of East Stand/Leazes from 2000-2012 and retuned this season, in the Gallowgate, I often feel uncomfortable making noise, due to the lack of it in the stand!

• Mister Tuff

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:19 AM

No surprises the ex Mackem player Goodman is critical of NUFC.
    An unbiased opinion is not what will come from him.

After getting that horrible week out of the way I think we’ll be back on track and grind the opposition away at the weekend.
    The Forrest game shows that there is togetherness in the team and certainly a fighting resolve.
    A bad week last week but back to business as usual at the weekend.

• Jib

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:20 AM

from previous

Crowd atmosphere and standing are obviously linked.
    If the club is genuinely interested in providing a more intimidating climate for visiting teams it seems clear to me they have to go down the “safe standing” route.

• clinath@ed

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM

The question “who starts the atmosphere..” is a good one, I would answer that it needs a spark to ignite both sides. Whether it be a goal, half chance or even a good tackle, either way it has to begin on the pitch.

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:25 AM

So Sports Direct are reeling under a 25% drop in profits? Never mind though, I’m sure their new corporate plane will be fitted out with all Mike’s home comforts.

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Toontaff – my old seat was in Gallowgate section c, (corner nearest the SBR statue steps) and although most of the noise/songs started from the other corner I wouldn’t say it was quiet. The loudest sections are the ends definitely, every time I’ve been in the bar areas or virtually anywhere at the sides it has been distinctly silent though. Especially when the game is messy and boring.

• toontaff2

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM

The East Corner of the Gallowgate is where all the noise, chants and songs are ! I have learnt a few new ones, this season! Wish I’d got my ticket there! I’m middle of Gallowgate, just towards that corner. People just never keep the noise up for long. The away fans are usually standing – maybe that’s what’s needed!

• toontaff2

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Not sure what else Goodman said, but the piece above could be conceived as constructive criticism. Sissoko, Gino and Townsend were skilful, but their lack of morale and character were obvious!

• Moonraker15

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM

I keep hearing Newcastle have lost 3 in a row and doubting our prospects. Ok we lost badly v Blackburn probably because of too many changes. We drew with PL Hull over 120 mins, and we would not have lost v Forest but for the dodgy ref. Come on get real we are not on a downer and I think the next six games will prove that!

• posada

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Think it was Toontaff mentioned there people on their mobiles. That’s right. They are on their phones looking at other scores.
    Often their on their phones when the balls being delivered for a corner.
    Just not focussed or wrapped up in the game at all.
    So different to days of yo.

• hibbit

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM

think what Goodman says is fair comment
    not everyone looks at NUFC through rose colored glass over all his was a good piece

the folk on there mobiles is not just a newcastle problem is it !!

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Moonraker – exactly. You can tell who all the “pundits” are who have got their knives out for us, as soon as they sniff a bit of a faltering step they come oozing out of the cracks to signal doom. We will start by hammering The Chicken Factory into the ground, then go on another winning run, then all these so-called experts will start talking about other clubs.

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Hibbit – what’s fair about the ” morale and character” bit? He clearly sees a different team to what had been desperately unfortunate against Hull and Forest. It’s almost like he’s hoping we go on a downer so he can look like the expert.

• stuart no9

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM

not really criticism that Ed. just saying it as it is really

• Ron Knee

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Compare performances against Blackburn and Forest. The team seem to do better in the underdog role.

• hibbit

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Tsunki
    read the full article overall its fair comment

eds looking for hits with his headline cherry picking a comment out of context

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Hardly out of context though as it’s all of what he said about NUFC. And he could have more accurately said we would be likely to overcome an unfortunate week , during which we had shown character as well as superiority in play. But he chose to suggest that a wretched run could be on the cards. It’s obvious that we are still the benchmark, and if anything the Forest game shows how difficult we are to overcome with 9 men let alone 11, so I don’t get his idea that we will suddenly be demoralised. Sounds a bit like betrayal of wishful thinking to me.

• Jib

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Tsunki

Are you a byline writer for the Sun ?

“got their knives out for us”

“they come oozing out of the cracks to signal doom.”

“he’s hoping we go on a downer”

oh dear oh dear

Goodman’s comments were not the least critical of NUFC just saying how it is in the Championship.

There’s only you and Mr Tuff think they were –
    ’nuff said really

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Oops me @13 it’s Birmingham next not Blackburn until January. I need more coffee. 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM

jib you got so worked up on your critique you failed to pounce on my error at 13, do you need some bigger hints?

• hibbit

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Tsunki
    OK you read into what you choose to me it was fair comment

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Byline e writer for the Sun? From Cricket / Rugby / Cribbage / Buzkashi / Curling / Cribbage / Frustration / Shove ha’penny International pan-sports Commentator Jib?

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

• Tsunki

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Thanks Hibbit

• toontaff2

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Well, we know what the headlines will be, unless we win the next 6!

• Spotlight Kid

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Sign Joey Barton on a free.

• martoon

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM

posada – the thing that really drives me nuts are the people who arrive late and leave early – they must miss about 15 minutes of the game in total. This causes complete disruption because everybody has to stand to let them by – I accept you sometimes need the toilet etc. but why not wait for a break in play, throw in, freekick etc. To top it all where I sit you can order your drinks for half time of full time so there is no need leave early to get to the bar!

• TyneMouth

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM

…’Goodman reviewing clubs at the top of the PREMIER LEAGUE,’
    Wrong league, or wrong teams…

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Started going to St James’ mainly in the late 70s into the 80s. 30000 odd made a far better atmosphere than now. No roof then either of course. Different type of fan generally, some would say that’s a good thing, but I miss the great craic. The ground is pretty now, you have all the facilities…but not the same spirit in my opinion.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:08 AM

woah – Jib on the attack already.

• Jack Root

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Have I missed tuff’s apology and valedictory post?
    Or is he still wriggling ?
    The valedictory is not to be seen from a quick read through from yesterday. He’s been on the long slide for sometime but the valedictory is his exclusive territory and not to be sidestepped . After ‘5’ a side in the pub last night we discussed the refereeing howlers along with mystic tuff’s narrative, with tuffgate widely used as descriptive of football howlers generally.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Oh dear here we go again.
    Jack Root/Ian
    Firstly – I’m not going anywhere.
    Whilst I would normally tell you to p**s off, in this matter currently of great interest to you, I will make an exception and encourage you to list my “refereeing howlers” and I will gladly debate football rules with you.
    Cannot be fairer than that.

Do you really expect people will believe that you and your team-mates discussed my refereeing howlers in the pub last night.

Eagerly awaiting your list – I have a sneaking feeling it will not materialise.
    Bring it on.
    Apart from that stop trying to cause your legendary blog mischief.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Ian Toon/carl and today Jack Root etc,
    Why haven’t you posted as Ian to stick the boot in? Is it because a) you realise that Ian Toon has lost all credibility and everyone knows his game or b) You want to show that Ian Toon doesn”t post anymore and when he does it’s only about football. Or c) both a and b.
    However you surely must realise that 90% of readers know you post as Jack Root so why do you bother?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Jack Root etc,
    When you brown nosed Belfast yesterday as does carl, Ian Toon and sack Llambias was it to leave a little clue that you are someone else or is it another howler?

• Jack Root

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM

You’ve lost me mate.
    So you think tuff’s abuse and attack on Bobby, Jib, Belfast etc over the ref’s decisions and appeal by the club and subsequent rescinding of bans does not merit an apology?
    Well!!

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

I think if the people who run football don’t try and do something the atmosphere at most grounds will continue to get worse. Lots of young uns don’t know what we’re going on about as far as creating an atmosphere is concerned, they haven’t seen much of it.
    I start singing and my lad sometimes looks at me as if I’m crackers. It’s difficult to start singing / chanting if you’re in a bunch of folk who always sit there and don’t get involved. So embarrassing for me lad when I get the words wrong 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Ian/ Jack etc,
    For everyone he called a clot and a divvy yes, but what’s it got to do with you other than you wading in out of the blue to stick your creepy oar in.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM

sitc,
    In the three games I’ve managed at home all season the atmosphere has been fine but then again my tickets are in the Dtrawberry corner.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM

sitc,
    Are you going to Blackburn away.

• sing in the corner

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM

I would love to stand at the match if they put that terrace conversion thing in. Maybe they could organise a hole in the roof over my slot so I could get rained on and a pished up fat bloke with a mullet to push past me every now n then and spill brown sauce from a Keegan’s burger down my back?
    Those were the days.. 🙂