This Player Deserves Huge Credit For Yesterday’s Performance

It seems that Jonjo Shelvey is a work in progress for Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez and Jonjo has been much more consistent and better behaved this season than in the past.

He did lapse a couple of times – once in the game at Nottingham Forest when he reacted to provocation from Henri Lansbury and was sent off.

The other time was late in the game against Wolves at home in the Premier League and he has a personal hearing for that FA misconduct charge – where he will plead his innocence with the hearing scheduled for the week after next.

Jonjo Shelvey congratulates goalscorer Dwight Gayle yesterday

Rafa had talked about how Jonjo can become a much better player, but he has to be aware of players who try to provoke him during games  – and it seems that Jonjo is determined to follow the advice of his manager.

Shelvey put in a very good performance yesterday in what was an excellent team display from our players in the 4-0 win against a good Birmingham City side.

He seemed to be in control of the game and you could see this lad’s vast potential to become a really top player in the game.

Obviously Rafa Benitez has seen that vast potential and of course he did sign him for Liverpool in the summer 2010 just before he departed the Reds.

This is what Jonjo said on the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game:

“If we turn up at Wigan expecting to win because we’re Newcastle United, it isn’t going to happen. We have to put as much effort into every game as we did today.”

“We thoroughly deserved to win. We dominated the game throughout.”

“It was important just to get back to winning ways, obviously we’re happy to have done that but obviously the job is not done yet.”

“We need to go and carry it on into Wednesday.” “To win 4-0, you have to do things right.”

“We have been working all week, we’ve had a game-plan from the get-go and we have stuck to it. We’ve listened to the gaffer, and it’s paid off in the end.”

“Last week, I felt that I didn’t deserve to be sent off to be honest with you.”

“I thought the boy made a meal of it but it is what it is. Obviously, I still felt like I’d let the team down because we ended up losing the game.”

“I felt that I needed to go out there and owe one to the team and owe one to the fans, I think that I have done that today and repaid them.”

“Dwight gets lucky to be honest.”  “No, it can’t be luck if he is in the right place at the right time.”

“I know he’s looking to get to 20 as soon as possible and that’s what all forwards want to do.”

“He just knows where the back of the net is and he could have had another one today as well. ” “Fair play to him.”

Those are good words from Jonjo and apparently at Forest he was remorseful after the game and Rafa said he didn’t even have to say anything because Jonjo apologized to his team-mates for letting them down.

If Jonjo can put in more performances like he did yesterday, we’ll get more wins and get closer to locking in one of those two automatic promotion places.

That’s the goal this season.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Birmingham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Dennis Twice

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Attack Toon attack, attack!

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM

23bettyswallocks // Dec 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Expat….. How old is Torres now? I don’t think he’s the player he was when he was with the Scousers but there’s mutual respect between him and Rafa so you never know.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Dennis….. We haven’t got a game today old son.

• Average_Contents

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Dennis? After a match?

You’ve just lost your aura….

Cracking result yesterday and a fully deserved one.

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• SPRINGY

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Hahaha…looks like bendtner myt have took a bung this week! …..juat nearly scored another own goal

• SPRINGY

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Good goal ince

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:19 PM

WW

I guess time will tell.

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM

BETTY

He must be 31/32 by now but still playing at a high kwvel for Atlectico in the spanish and cgampons league

• lesh

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Bettys

Stop nitpicking Dennis’s posts. Anyone can lose a day!

• Fostino

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Derby…Brighton. ..toon in pl next year

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM

I was just thinking that crowded elevators must smell differently to Tsunki being as he is somewhat lacking in the height department.

• WWSBRD

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM

expat
    Certainly will, hopefully for better rather than worse

On a side note, ignoring those trying to disrupt it, I enjoyed that haha getting rarer and rarer I enjoy conversations on here

• Mister Tuff

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Jib Jibberish – Denise Wise and Joking Ear were employed by NUFC.
    Were there any other specific reasons, apart from them being employed by the club why you supported them.

• Ron Knee

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Nice goal from Costa.

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM

WW

No problems mate. I rarely post on here these days. It was very pleasant……wxcept for my continual spelling errors which I put down to small phone big fingers…..lol

• Jib

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Mister Tuff

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Evening Tuff

• Mister Tuff

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:42 PM

I see the Chronicle are reporting what Curbishley said on Channel 5 last night.
    Gist being that the club will be able to sign PL quality players in January – even though we are still in the Championship, as it will be guarenteed we will be in the PL next season.
    Good buying point for Rafa to tempt better quality players. ( at an early stage)
    Goes along with just about everybody else saying we’ll win the league.
    Think he’ll have one eye on next season and buy at least a couple of players.

• WWSBRD

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM

expat
    Haha no worries about spelling mistake mate it happens to us all (my phone auto corrects a lot of what I say and I rarely notice)

• Jib

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM

I have this as the background on my laptop

When Allardyce was manager (although I has grave doubts about him ) I had him as my background on my pc then.

It’s called loyally supporting your club.

An alien concept to many.

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:51 PM

In my view, in order to bring a couple in, a few need to leave whether in January or the summer so I would expect possibly Ameobi Saviet and Tiote going in January and the likes of Dejong Krul Riviere Thauvin Murphy Haidara Gamez and possibly Sels gone in the summer. If Anita and Goyffran refuse new contracts, add them to the list

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:53 PM

WW

Thanks mate. Didnt want you to think I was uneducated bugger…..lol

• Mister Tuff

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:53 PM

expat – evening/morning afternoon. Hows things.
    Agree with some of your points about West Ham.
    Historically they were a nothing club and only became of interest because of the World Cup 66 and that Bobby Moore played for them.
    Later with Trevor Brooking playing for them and getting jobs with the FA suggested to me they had a “false standing” above their station in the football world.
    A standing not deserved by their on field exploits. Just my opinion.

• expatmag

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM

And with that, I am off to bed. Goodnight all

• WWSBRD

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Jeffery
    Haha bless u

expat
    No bother mate haha

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM

“Misplaced loyalty – though it begins casually – can end up becoming a serious problem with psychological implications.”

• Ron Knee

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM

M T

I used to go to WHam home matches in the days of Bonds and Lampard Snr. They played attractive football at the time.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM

It has to be down to Conte that Costa and Hazard are rejuvenated and showing their true ability whilst playing with a smile. Despite his many achievements in the game I have thought for a while that Mourinho ‘s dour , happy to win one nil mentality with all the creative players being made to think defensively has affected his teams
    morale adversely.

• lochinvar

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM

So Derby put three past Forest including goals from Ince and Hughes who we have been linked with in the past.
    Just asking how bad Lansburys pre-match injury is and wonder if he chooses to feel that it might keep him from playing for about 16 days ?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM

swallocks,
    Mourhino had one bad season at Chelsea which most people put down to a serious fall out over the Carvanho? Doctor incident, he has taken over a Man U team that has been in a mess since since SFA left and put his worst ever signing in charge. Man U have ran out of options they have no choice but to give Mourinho time, who’s next for them.

• Jib

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM

lochinvar
    Watching Forest it is clear that Angela is by no means the only snidey cheating shitbag at Nottingham.
    The team that comfortably took Birmingham City apart yesterday will marmalise NF on the 30th.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Jib,
    To blindly swear loyalty to anyone just because they are in power raises serious questions over a persons state of mind.

• Jib

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM

It now feels that the regard NUFC is held in the Championship would enable us to sign any player in this league we wanted.
    If we progress at the same rate under Rafa perhaps this time next year we could be saying the same about PL players.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Ron Knee – no doubt at all Billy Bonds and old man Lampard were good players.

However, I think there is an element things not really being honest/transparent ( not exclusive to West Ham mind) re this carry on with the stadium, plus that Sullivan loaned £1 million quid to an East End crime boss.
    Also some of the violence recently by West Ham fans has to be of concern.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Jail….. He just comes across as a sour faced , miserable has been now. Quite sad really as he was a legend. Unfortunately being held in such high esteem despite all the self indulgent arrogance only happens when you’re winning. He might turn it around there by spending more obscene amounts of money but in my opinion there are shrewder managers out there now and his stock is on the wane.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Jib….. I tend to agree with jail that blindly following the leader despite bad leadership makes no sense. Come on lad have a word with yourself.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM

swallocks,
    He’s always been like that.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Jail…. Who? Jib or Mourinho?

• lesh

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Jib

It’s seems clear to me that the behaviour of Notts Forest players is clearly in the hands of the coaching staff. If the manager did not approve of players cheating, he’d tell them not to do it. So if he’s telling them not to cheat and they’re ignoring him, Mountanier’s got a problem. If he’s not telling them to play the game fairly, then he’s implicitly condoning their behaviour.

Either way, controlling such bad behaviour is within the bounds of a club’s influence so if it continues, then it should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.