The Fairy Tale Continues – Rafa Keen To Keep This Player

Two players who are first choice at Newcastle this season – Yoan Gouffran and Vurnon Anita – two players who work their socks off for the team – have contracts which run out next June.

We had thought that Vurnon would get a new deal but not Yoan – but it looks like we wrong on that one – what – again?

🙂

Rafa was interviewed in the local press over the weekend and was asked specifically about the two stalwarts  and he said the club had already started to talk with their agents and that it was only a matter of time.

Yoan Gouffran – to get new deal at Newcastle

That’s really good news that Newcastle want to sign these two up who have simply thrived since Rafa came on board in March and Yoan in particular has been a player reborn at Newcastle.

This is what Rafa said when asked about the two players as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“The club is talking with the agents, and now it’s a question of time.”

“I know what we need, but it’s too early.” “We have to concentrate on the games and keep working in the same way to see if we can get the targets I have.”

“You have to wait.”  “I am really pleased with the squad.”

“But we know we have players who are at the African Cup of Nations and others who are out of contract.”

“So we have to try and balance the team as much as we can just in case.”

Gouffran and Anita can officially talk to other clubs in January and it doesn’t necessarily mean the players will stay on at Newcastle – it will depend on the contracts they are offered.

But they both seem to have bought completely into Rafa’s ways at Newcastle and they have to think we could be going places in the next year or two.

They are enjoying their football at the club so that has to be another big factor in Newcastle’s favor.

We’d like to see both players get good offers because they have both been instrumental to the success of Newcastle this season and of course Yoan scored his 5th goal of the season against Birmingham on Saturday.

Rafa has transformed Vurnon into a terrific right-back who could well get his place back on the Dutch side.

And it’s nothing short of a fairy tale for the Frenchman who joined us four years ago from Bordeaux – but he deserves a new deal because he really has been great for Newcastle this season.

What do you think?

• JDdubai

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM

I dont think either should be more than squad filler should be get promoted. If they are happy to be backup then give them another year, we need those types of players who are happy to fill the squad up and dont cause trouble, same with Colback and Dummett.

I think Yedlin and Rithcie have the potential to be strong enough to handle the PL for our right side, need the same quality on the left. And no10 remains the key position to strengthen for me.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Jail, being there, let me tell you a fact. There was only one time when the fans were singing Mitro’s name. That was when he warmed up and was having fun with the Leaves end. Ergo, that had to be the time Ando was on about. He repeated it on the phone in when someone else, who also wasn’t there, brought it up. And got it wrong mate. The fans were not wanting Gayle off and Mitro on, they were chanting his name in reply to him winding them up. If you don’t want me to answer a question honestly, don’t bother asking. One time only were the fans making an issue of Mitro and that was in that one exchange. He was warming up and geelong the fans up. End of.

• MadisonToon

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM

JD

Agree completely. Yedlin is a bit raw but will be our RB of the future and Gouffran has been an excellent servant to the club but we should be getting a better LW in the summer. Atsu will challenge for his spot as the season wears on and either will come good to take over or I hope we will bring in someone.

That doesn’t mean they can’t get new contracts, just not as priority players.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Maybe someone else who was there on Saturday can report on when the fans were chanting Mitro’s name and why. Someone from the leaves might have had the best view, but I do know what Ando said because of the phone in. Ando has had a thing against Mitro for a while. Seldom heard him say anything nice about him, but what he said on Saturday about not understanding why the fans were chanting for Mitro when Gayle was on a hattrick was definitely Bollix. Not even sure why it’s an issue.

• MadisonToon

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I didn’t see or hear this match, so don’t know – what was it like when Mitro came on? Cheering? Jeering? Something else? How did he play?

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Bobby
    Re: Mitro / Gayle
    That particular instance you and Jail are talking about aside…
    But do you get a sense at all that Gayle is getting a bit miffed at fan ‘non-recognition’ and Mitro’s talismanic appeal to fans?
    The games I’ve been to there are sections of the fans that seem to love Mitro and his passion unconditionally. And lots of comments flying around that Mitro should be starting etc.
    Then I’m noticing Gayle running over to the crowd when he scores doing the ‘cupping the ear’ celebration..
    Got me thinking..

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Madison, every time Atsu comes on now he impresses. Not just raw pace either. Plenty of skill and makes the right runs. I can see him playing in the PL as well. He loses his markers easily as well which is a talent all of its own. He starting to look like the player Chelsea bought, probably to stop anyone else buying him. I see a future for him at SJP.

• MadisonToon

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Bobby

I hope so. He just needs to get his crossing precision dialed in a bit better and he could be excellent for us. His pace and ability to beat a man has been missing from our team for a while. It’s great that we have Shelvey who can unlock defenses with a pass, but we will need to have people who can do it on the dribble as well to keep them on their toes – looks like Atsu might be the man to fill that void.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Sing, I would much rather Gayle played than Mitro myself. He’s scoring goals and that’s helping us lead the table. What you say is bang on, but there’s little I can do about it matey. I was answering a question about the singing of his name, which came once and once only. I answered it honestly, being right above where Mitro was warming up and amongst thefans chanting his name.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Bobbybee,
    You’re missing my point, it wasn’t just about the fans singing Mitros name at that particular moment, it’s been all season, Gayle got two goals against Barnsley yet the main song aside from Rafas two was Matt Ritchies magic hat, his applause at warm ups is nothing special, nothing to do with Ando’s agenda.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Sing…… There is a simple explanation to Gayle’s ear cupping behaviour. He’s slightly hard of hearing.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Dwight Gayle is not the easiest name to make a song for. The efforts I’ve heard so far are, frankly, pants. If he feels the fans are unappreciative of his goals then he’s a million miles from the truth. He got one hell of a reception when he came off, but without a song worth singing, I don’t know how the fans can show it. He’s loved by the fans.
    Maybe ‘Dwight Gayle, there’s only one Dwight Gayle, there’ s only one Dwight Gayle, there’s only one Dwight Gayle, DWIGHT GAYLE, repeat etc.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:01 PM

swallocks,
    Is he really?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Bobby,
    And Alexendar Mitrovich just rolls off the tongue, it has about as many rhyming words as….orange

• Clematis

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Bobby is exactly right about Mitro. I am a ST holder and was there as usual on Sarradee. I can say that Gayle is idolised by the fans and he knows it.

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Betty
    Or maybe he’s protecting his lugs in case Mitro is galloping up behind him to ‘join in’ with his celebration?

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Right jail, now I get your point. But that’s not what you asked me. You asked me about Saturday and I gave an honest reply. Like I said, Ando said it again during the phone in and I was gobsmacked. He does have an agenda against Mitro for whatever reason, but Saturday was just disinformation and a bit naughty. The fans do love Mitro, but I can’t imagine anybody with the first clue about football would want them to swap places right now. If they do they’re crazy. Gayle’s the one on fire at the moment and for me he can stay there until the goals dry up – if they do.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Problem with this is we currently have 27 players that would need to be registered in the PL to play without counting those who are on loan

We need players to come in when we hit the PL so we can’t keep everyone and Gouffran/Anita are in positions where we need starters in the PL

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Bobby / Clematis
    Fair enough, you could be right then. Maybe picking it up wrong.
    Gayle song-wise:
    I like BOOM BOOM BOOM, everybody say GAYLE, GAYLE!!
    🙂

• hibbit

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM

as long as Gayle keeps knocking them in its his shirt
    Jail for reasons i don’t know a large section of the crowd have not taken to Gayle which is astonishing considering his record
    not sure what Mitro has done to earn this adulation from this section of fans i do actual like the lad and i hope he can turn it on for us as he obviously loves the club and area but i have my doubts
    I would not be at all surprised if Mitro is gone in january and a more mobile forward is brought in ready for the prem

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Clematis,
    The reason I asked Bobbybee on Saturday was because at the games I have been to I have not witnessed this idolisation you mention, I’ve mentioned it a couple of times why the fans haven’t seemed to take to him, not dislike him I may add, when Ando mentioned he doesn’t seem to get the recognition he deserves I brought it up, normally the fans show their appreciation with a song, he never even got a theres only one Deight Gayle after scoring two against Barnsley and I was at that match.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM

WW….. Are you suggesting that if Rafa does decide to extend their contracts that he is making an error?

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Jail, I trust you’re being facetious? Mitro’s got his song but that doesn’t mean he’s more loved. This conversation is getting silly now. 🙂 I’ve suggested a song, it’s up to the corner to either take it up or think of another. I can’t make the crowd bow down to Gayle, or show him how much his goals are appreciated, I can only answer for myself and I love the guy. I love his goals more like. 🙂 I’ve no idea why Ando said that, but he was wrong. Mitro winds the fans up, swinging his arms for them to make more noise and the fans chanted his name. I think Rafa let him get his hattrick and took him off purely to save him for Wednesday, when I fully expect him to start again.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Bobby,
    I asked you why you thought the fans hadn’t taken to Gayle as well, you chose just to talk about what I said about Ando’s comments on it. I see hibbit and sitc have also noticed it, I don’t know how clematis knows tge fans idolise him, I hope tgat standing ovation has changed things.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Why am I being facetious Bobby, where, we are discusding a valid point.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:22 PM

And why does he do that ear cupping, is it because he wants to hear his name sung as he deserves.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Just where you said Alexander Mitrovic rolls off the tongue, when clearly it doesn’t. 🙂 He was lucky that Mitro fitted with the Mitro’s on fire thing or we would struggle with that name.

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM

‘Gay-le’s on fire! Your defence…etc.’ ??
    It’s a goddam conspiracy I tell ya!!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Not facetious Bobby but with appropiate humour 😀

• Clematis

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Jfa: ah, well I can’t speak for everyone but I blummen well love Dwighty and the whole stadium shows their appreciation…especially his standing ovation when he went off!

We nicked Mitro’s song as it fitted him perfectly. We just need to do the same for Gayle.

I think the song Palace nicked off the German Ultras would be great…the ‘Woah’ song…they sing it when they score.

Aparently the words are:

We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where we play we follow, we follow, we follow
    Cos we support the Palace, etc
    And that’s the way we like it, etc.
    Woah a woah a woah, etc.

Can anyone fit Dwight stuff to that??

• lesh

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM

WW..

Don’t you think that Anita and Gouffran’s renaissance under Rafa justify keeping them?

Of course the squad needs to be trimmed to make space for new signings and/ or loan returnees (those who are good enough) but surely there are others who could be deregistered?

Raga’s no fool

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Hopefully that last hatrick and the standing ovation has put him as a crowd favourite now. I think he could quite easily be given the Andy Cole song, although it doesn’t really rhyme that much.

• Clematis

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

🙂 🙂 🙂

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Jail, now you’re asking me things I simply can’t answer. I have no real idea why he cupped his ears, but it’s not the first time either is it? You sit in the corner mate, if this bothers you to that extent then I suggest you start a song and see if it takes off. I’d love to hear his name chanted by the whole stadium, but how it’s my fault they don’t I am at a loss. I wish we had a song for every player, to keep them all happy. All I did was explain about Saturday and why he was being sang about. Not much more I can say on the subject other than what I’ve said already.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Think I’ve found a solution for Gayle’s ear cupping.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM

We need a social media campaign for a Dwight Gayle song.

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:33 PM

betty
    Imo yeah though I don’t know his plans so it’s hard to judge but neither are particularly good, steady that’s all and imo easily replaceable

I know Rafa is aiming to keep as many as possible in order to save money in order to spend on other parts but to me they are more dispensable that others

• Clematis

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Jail…maybe ask nufc online via twatter (or fb) or one of the other fan sites?

• WWSBRD

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:36 PM

lesh
    Like who? No one is performing poorly consistently tbf even those who have barely played have done so well so who loses out so Anita and Gouffran can stay?

• Mister Tuff

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Jail -no need for a media campaign – a blog song competition is the answer. I can think of one line at the minute.

Dwight, Dwight always scores against shyte.