Rafa About West Ham Link – It’s Not Easy For Me

Rafa was asked yesterday about the rumors linking him with a move to West Ham United if their current manager Slaven Bilic cannot get them out of the relegation zone soon.

West Ham had almost signed Rafa as the West Ham manager last year in June before Real Madrid came in at the last minute and offered him the Madrid job, which he took.

Rafa Benitez in training at Benton

During his interviews yesterday for the game tonight at Wigan, Rafa was asked about the reports linking him with a move to the east London club and this is what he said, as reported in the Chronicle:

“I don’t see any big change now at the club as a whole.” “I am giving you my answer – I don’t see any big changes at the club in January.”

“I have a lot of respect for West Ham because when I was in contact with them, they were really good and professional.”

“But I am really happy here and then we carry on trying to win games.”

“It’s not easy for me.” “They were really nice and really good with me.” “At the moment, I’m really pleased here.”

“I’m not thinking about anything like that – just winning against Wigan and getting promoted at the end of the season.”

The thing that strikes us is the statement “At the moment, I’m really pleased here.” – with the emphasis on “at the moment”.

That could be a veiled message to owner Mike Ashley and to a lesser extent to Managing Director Lee Charnley that he wants to keep his free rein at the club and that money will be made available to bring in some top players in January and in the summer.

Also saying “it’s not easy for me” – presumably meaning if he was offered the West Ham job in the future it could be a tough decision.

Rafa Benitez will always attract clubs that see him as their potential new manager, because he has such a great record of achievement and he’s doing well at Newcastle this year and has transformed the club.

The powers that be at Newcastle should never take him for granted, because that’s when he could walk away.

Mike Ashley could offer him a new and improved long term deal in the summer to keep him at Newcastle for the foreseeable future – that means many years down the road.

That’s the only way to treat a manager as good as Rafa – and that’s what we hope Mike Ashley will do.

What do you think?

• Mag52

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM

Reading between the lines in that interview, the sooner West. ham sort out, either their PL safety or a new manager on a long contract, the better.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Saying at the moment is a big worry if you ask me, i don’t think he’s going to be here long term, I’ve said this hundreds of times on here, when he leaves in the future who are we going to get to replace him because we have raised the bar so high getting him in, we can’t go from him to an a average manager we would be going backwards if we do that.

• Mag52

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:22 AM

My team for Wigan :

Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clarke Dummett
    Shelvey Hayden
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle.

• Spotlight Kid

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Currently the extrapolated final points total for NUFC and BHAFC based on points on the board and current form over the last 10 games is:

NUFC p46 pts 105
    BHAFC p46 pts 105

NUFC edging it on extrapolated goal difference but otherwise too close to call!!

NOTE: If NUFC win tonight that extrapolated total will rise by a point, likewise if they lose it will fall.

PS: the club was loyal with Rafa despite relegation, which he must take some blame for. He has got everything he has asked for and should make it unequivocally clear that he has a contract and a project at NUFC (that everyone has bought into) and will NOT be going to West Ham. This is the kind of sitting on the fence that MacLaren indulged in before leaving Derby (he has since apologised for it). Sorry Rafa, but you must nip this in the bud.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM

On tonight’s match, be happy with a draw, yes they are down the bottom and haven’t won a match for a while but that could end anytime, just hope it’s not tonight.

• Sav

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I agree, it is about Ashley. Getting relegated was a smear on Rafa’s record. But promotion in style will once again enhance it. The question is, where do we go from there? Ashley must not be allowed to twist perception that Rafa’s ambition led him elsewhere. So far, Rafa has been good for us and for Ashley’s balance sheet. Its been a no brainer. Is Ashley smart and ambitious for the club to succeed in sporting terms?

• Ranger Ned