Rafa – We Did What A Winning Team Has To Do

Newcastle this season under Rafa Benitez have learned how to defend and that in certain parts of the game we will be under severe pressure from the opposition.

That’s when some good defending and grit are needed so the team doesn’t give away a goal and lets the other side right back into the game, as we did too many times last season.

Newcastle showed that grit and determination yesterday in the second half as we hung onto a 2-1 lead at Burton Albion with goals from Dwight Gayle and Mo Diame and held on to get another win and a valuable 3 points towards our promotion drive.

Nigel Clough and Rafa Benitez before the game

Rafa expected this game to be a difficult one and it was, but he was pleased at the end that Newcastle had done what winning teams do and refused to fold under the pressure of a good Burton Albion side:

“We said before that it could be difficult and it was so I think we did well.”

“We controlled the first half and were working so hard in the second half to defend and do well.”

“I was pleased with the attitude, the teamwork and the character we showed, but I also congratulate Burton because they were pushing us under massive pressure.

“We are top of the table, doing well and winning lots of games and we have had fantastic games and then we have games where we have to show, as we did today, lots of character.”

“We did it, I think we are finding the balance between playing nice football and having to work hard for the three points.”

“That is what a winning team has to do –  to adapt and perform at the maximum level in any conditions.”

Brighton won again coming from 1-0 down at St Andrew’s to grab goals in the 82nd and 95th minutes to beat Birmingham City and stay one point behind us in second place.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Burton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• hibbit

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM

it gets me going how on earth we can have a mom vote based on a radio commentary that at best sounded boring and 4 minutes of sky edited highlights

• G

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Although I was never a huge fan of ugly wins I would happily take an entire season of them to get us back in thd top flight.

• G

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM

@1, thats why I wont be voting in this one.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Munster

You give no recognition whatsoever to the fact that Rafa had to sell Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Townsend Janmatt etc. The fact he invested wisely in Gayle and Ritchie and very shrewdly in others like Hayden for peanuts is a sign of a great manager.

You always seem to be snidely knocking Rafa. Last week you made the daftest comment I’ve ever heard that Rafa doesn’t utilise his attacking options. This despite being top scorers in all divisions!

Hughton has done well and is a nice bloke, but stop using that as a stick to beat Rafa with. It’s irrelevant.

• Bobbybee

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Hibbett, not just me then mate? I never vote on a radio commentary because I find ours to be so dull. If anybody could pick a motm from that commentary then good luck to them, but I couldn’t. Good game according to my mate who went, but not what I heard.

• Average_Contents

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Poster boy

How’s that 3-way spooning session going?

Love thy neighbours.

So you do remember then. You claimed ignorance the other day.

When it suits eh, hypocrite.