This Player Wins Second Successive Man Of The Match Poll

Mohamed Diame scored his second league goal in four days yesterday and he is also was out Man of the Match for the second successive game with 33% of the vote beating out the impressive Jonjo Shelvey who got 20%.

Jonjo has been so good in the last couple of months that he is hardly ever out of the top three in our poll and it’s likely the game at the Pirelli Stadium could be his last game for a while with his personal hearing coming up for his FA misconduct charge this week.

Both players were essentially playing in the middle of the park for Newcastle with Diame playing his familiar number 10 role and they both worked their socks off to keep a good Burton Albion side at bay in that second half.

Mo Diame scores Newcastle’s second goal

Mo is definitely coming into some good form but unfortunately he will soon be off in January for the African Cup of Nations where he will represent Senegal.

Third in the voting with 10% was our prolific number 9 striker Dwight Gayle with his 17th goal of the campaign and he also went close a couple of times.

It was a good team performance yesterday and especially a good defensive rearguard action in that second half to keep the score at 2-1 and get another valuable 3 points.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Burton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Think it is essential for us to sign a playmaker and a winger in January.

Gouffran should be utilised as a centre forward.

Quite happy with our squad.

Ideally would like to see us sign Knockeart and Shaqiri in January.

• Bambams

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM

It’s a shame he has just started playing well and will be off to AFCON

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Pleased that Diame is playing better.

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Yep, really pleased with Rafas new signings. We’ve got practically a whole new team and we’re top of the league. That’s impressive.

Would like to see us try to win the FA cup.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Wow, always thought BandB was drunk when she’s on here, but just realised its not her its Kets with his far fetched comments,

Kets there’s more chance of jail being happy than us signing knockeart and Shaqiri.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Should stick to championship manager, then you can have your own dream team.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Leicester City taking the plaudits for being the people to enjoy 2016.
    Two years from now, the characterful Alan Shearer, having replaced Gary Lineker as the BBC’s slickest sports presenter, will shake Rafa’s hand as he hands us the Team of The Year award following our astonishing Premier league title.

We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Welsh,

I’m sure your thoughts carry a lot of weight 🙂

• Jib

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM

We are such stuff as dreams are made OF

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Those signings would be more realistic in May though.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM

That’s a full Acme-roller-skate jet-pack-falling-down-a canyon-anvil-hits-you-on-the-head effort, shit-for-brains 🙂

• Jib

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Just read the Tempest quote
    You are right
    It has been misquoted by various folk throughout history
    Appo – polly – loggies

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM

You’ll live 🙂
    Isn’t it amazing how much cleverer I am “drunk” than you are “sober”?

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Some of us, Jeff, don’t rely on Google for our education.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM

And “Welsh” geordie has never been close to Wales the Houghton-Le-Spring.
    His attachment to Swansea comes from the fact his “friend” and target of Uncle Ken sycophancy and stalking in North Shields, John Cornforth, joined Swansea.

• Jib

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM

BandB has been taking strutting cock-crowing lessons from Mr Tosser
    Gloat baby gloat
    Enjoy your triumph

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM

BandB

You probably better looking drunk than you are sober.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:53 PM

John Cornforth absolute legend.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Welshgeordie is neither Welsh nor a Geordie.
    He’s Uncle Jeff’s alter-ego.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’m out.
    Two onto one just isn’t fair?

And Jeff, I’ve enjoyed all of my unbroken run of triumphs.
    You need to stop sulking.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM

I know he’s a legend Jeff.
    You followed him around the bars of North Shields telling him.
    They love you, like 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM

We’ll Miss Marple you got that wrong, I am Welsh and I’ve adopted myself as a Geordie.

Ha ha ha

• beermonkey

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM

bandb

i am sure u can handle dumb and dumber

• martoon

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I’ve been out all day so just catching up on some of the replies to my post this morning. I didn’t mean to cause World War III – I think people misunderstood my meaning. Of course blind people can have a meaningful opinion – what I was trying to say that based on the commentary I heard yesterday I couldn’t pick a MotM – there was no stand-out player from that commentary.

• Jib

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Welshie
    We’ve been sussed
    You are actually me
    😎

• lesh

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Off thread but Rafa’s been very cute about Shelvey’s alleged racism charge. Had Shelvey not appealed, he probably have been banned and unable to play in recent games. He’s proved to be a key player and Rafa’s got the winter window coming up to buy in a ready made substitute to play in the games Shelvey’s banned for.

• lesh

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM

BandB……. Ever the optimist and yup, it would be great to see Newcastle United reaping plaudits from the media for a change.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM

I’ve given you half an hour to accuse me again of being a bi-polar drunk.
    What you “both”, with astonishing “single-mindedness”, will do is pick it up from scratch in the morning, knowing that people who think exactly as I think will decide, “I’m not speaking up for her, like.”
    It’s how you survive.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Lesh,

You are ever the optimist. We all are. Though I know you have been at it longer than most. I have been tough you from time to time. But I know we are the same, to all intents.

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I was just reading an article there about the possibility of selling Gayle to a bottom half PL side. It kind of makes sense given we paid 10m and in Jan could get 15 mil to bring in a playmaker that’s prem ready as Gayle might not get the chances he has this season. Add to that Benitez likes to deal will he be thinking the same? What’s everyone elses take on this?

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Krul

Run that by me again? So we would sell the Championship’s top scorer half way through the season to bag a five million profit?
    I’m sure you and Rafa are kindred spirits.
    Both of you being students of the game.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM

And so Tsunki will prolong his blog career by keeping you both alive, and Jail will, and Mr Tuff will. They need you both.

Personally, I absolutely know you are the one and the same Sunderland-supporting person. Along with a dozen “supporters”you have invented.

Why is this blog so utterly gutless?

• Belfast

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Krul I think whoever wrote that article should stop writing articles immediately.

Who would score the goals in the second half of the season ?

I like this idea better – Sign playmaker and keep Gayle.

• Belfast

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM

I’m nearly sure Gayle was the top scorer for Palace ? And that was mostly from the subs bench.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Anyone watching the darts, PHIL THE POWER TAYLOR will be on soon.

• Joe1987

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Quick question, I’ve got tickets for the Forrest game and they are for the Milburn sports bar. It says block BAM D ? I can’t find this on the seating plan can anyone help? Cheers

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Benitez does has a history of dealing ruthlessly for the benefit of the club, IE selling when his stock is high I’m not saying I agree but would go with whatever Rafa does, I hope not but I don’t know if he is top 6 prem level, I’m fearful this is his level

• welshgeordie9

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Jib

That’s a hard one, ninja turtle is small, so that could be either Atsu or Anita.