Which Of These 3 Strikers Should Newcastle Sign?

An area of the team that Rafa may want to strengthen next month is striker and if he can get a decent striker in during January then we think  Rafa will do that – otherwise he will bring in a new striker in the summer to further improve the quality of the Newcastle side.

Two strikers we have been linked with this season are 22 year-old Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller and 24 year-old Callum Wilson of Bournemouth.

And then there is the striker we were willing to pay £25M for last January – Saido Berahino – who is still available and his contract at West Brom runs out at the end of June.

He will be available at a lot less than £25M and he could be a decent buy.

23 year-old Saido Berahino – West Brom striker

Sebastien Haller stands 6ft 2ins and he’s played for all of the French Youth sides including 18 appearances for the U-21 side with 10 goals.

This season he has banged in 8 goals and got 4 assists in 16 total appearances for Utrecht.

22 year-old Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller

He joined Utrecht last summer from Auxerre and scored 24 goals in 40 appearances last season, but he was also on loan for half a season at Utrecht before that – so in 75 total appearances he has scored 43 goals and had 15 assists for his Dutch club.

Rafa was reported to have spoken to him last summer in an attempt to get him to Newcastle.

Callum Wilson has looked a good player when we’ve watched him for Bournemouth this season after he missed most of last season with a serious ACL injury.

24 year-old Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson

This season he has 3 goals in 11 appearances at Bournemouth and he looks like a talented player who Rafa could improve at Newcastle, although he is by no means a prolific goalscorer.

And then there’s Sadio Berahino who has struggled for form and with injuries since Newcastle tried to entice him from West Brom last year and has only played five times this season for the Baggies.

But he’s got a lot of talent and maybe Rafa can bring the very best out of him and he obviously has skill,  after scoring 20 goals in 45 appearances in the 2014-2015 season.

Saido is available at a cut price fee next month given that he has just over six months left on his West Brom contract.

Which Striker Would You Sign For Newcastle?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• martoon

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Ed – you should include a ‘none of them’ option 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Never liked the name Utrecht. Sounds like something a urologist would shove a camera up.

Jonjo, jonjo, jonjo…. You broke my heart. Here I was defending you as innocent until proven etc and you let me down. I suppose there’s always the “Appeal process” but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Baldy. 😀

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Unlikely to get any of them next month but if I had my pick it’d be Wilson

Not Sen enough of Haller and Berahino has done next to nothing in over a year whilst having professionalism problems

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM

My appraisal of those three:-

1/ bigheed
    2/ Meh
    3/ fixer-upper

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM

martoon
    What striker would u like?

• Bobbybee

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Toon, the ban is in line with the rules, then that’s fair. I still don’t agree that he should’ve been found guilty, because he says he didn’t use a racist comment and apparently had a witness, but as usual with the FA, they tell us nowt. They pass judgement and leave it there. I’d love to know what he’s alleged to have said myself, but if he did make a racist comment then he got what he deserved. I’ve tried to let it drop, but when people keep coming up with comments defending Racism ‘because I didn’ t mean it and I’m not racist’, despite saying it, what can you do? It’s not rocket science to understand that how you mean something and how it’s viewed are two completely different things. ‘You’re a bitch’ is just an insult. ‘You’re a black bitch’ is a racist insult. I don’t see how it can be viewed any differently. The colour of a bitch doesn’t matter, unless you want to make it an issue by adding the prefix black. Can you see my Point?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Fact is we live in a litigious PC gone mad society where you can’t insult anyone without repercussions.

How is it that the ‘Gentlemans’ game of cricket seems to allow the most horrific amounts of sledging whereas the working class soccer game jumps on the least accusation, proven or otherwise.

I aint condoning anything JJ might of said far from it but I can’t help thinking about what someone said some time back about wanting to rein back our winning the championship to easily.

Or is it just my paranoia kicking in.

• Bobbybee

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Tell you which striker I want – the one Rafa chooses. 🙂 He’s done pretty good so far with his choices and I trust him to make the right choice in January as well. He has his little black book and has undoubtedly done far more homework than I have when it comes to choices. Not sure Wilson is a top six striker, which is where Rafa is aiming for after all. Haller looks good, but in a weaker league so hard to judge. Berating can swivel for me. Bad attitude imo.

• croftus5678

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM

all 3 look decent however i think its more realistic we go for alan judge who can play on either wing or as an acm and comes dirt cheap.

• Bobbybee

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Oh gawd. Berating transforms to Berahino in the real world. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:49 PM

I’d probably go with the none of those option’s but if pressed Wilson would be my choice although I can’t see him being any better than Bobby’s favourite. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Essex
    I don’t watch cricket but are u saying they racially abuse each other regularly and it’s seen as alright?

And a conspiracy is a foot to stop us winning the league easily? I’d tend to think ur being paranoid there buddy haha

• Bobbybee

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Bill, in fairness, most cricketers come from the public schoolboy route and are, despite PC being the in thing, some of the most bigoted animals in the world. We go to school and get taught how to be ruled, they go to school to learn how to be rulers. They look down on all of us, regardless of colour.

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Hmm I dunno it sounds a bit cricketist to me.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM

WW no I’m not saying it’s alright, I.m saying it happens, although possibly not so much now, and some of the insults were not very nice but it was left on the field with players realising it was either the heat of the moment stuff or gamemanship.

I would imaging that a lot of the baldy comments to Jonjo were to wind him up with very little of it being malicious.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM

we need a CAM/10 as number 1 priority, then LW.

Can we live with Richie and atsu playing RW/LW?

• Australian Pie

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Afternoon lads, long time lurker first time poster to the blog.

Australian now living in London, fan since 2007 (Mark Viduka), as big a fan as any born and bred Geordie. Managed to get to 3 away games this year so far and still planning my first trip to the bucket list topping St James Park.

HWTL

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Bobby

Ah yes the two Ronnies. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Essex
    Ah ok well then their governing body should be stamping it out tbf personally I think the FA has done a pretty good job removing it from football in this country

As I say I know nothing about cricket…one of the worst sports on the planet if u ask me but each to their own haha

• martoon

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM

WWSBRD @5 – To be honest I don’t know – I just think that none of them 3 are any better or a different option to what we have now.

• Bobbybee

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Well, I’ve had a good run, but my taxi services are in demand again so I must obey my orders. 🙂 Well annoyed with Shelvey’s ban, but what more to expect from stuck up nobs who’ve never played the game and get ‘jobs for the boys’ from like minded people who bizarrely think they’re the best people for the job. All football jobs should go to footballing people imo and that’s unlikely to change any time soon. (my opinion not the jobs situation). How you go from head of the BBC etc to the arbitrator of football is just beyond me and totally ludicrous. Want to talk about footballing know nowts? They run the bloody game.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:04 PM

If the Ginger Makalele is fit then I’d expect him to partner Hayden in mid field. Anita is another option as already mentioned by someone.

But I’m sure whatever Rafa (all hail him) decides will work perfectly ok. How is Sels as an outfielder?

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM

martoon
    Id say all three are better than Mitro, Perez and Murphy

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Suarez did deny biting that guy mind, said his teeth brushed his arm or summit.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

There is a definite grey area here with regards to the victim of the alleged racial abuse not understanding the insults and them having to be translated. It becomes a point of principal as oppose to the guy suffering and being affected by direct racial insults. This would be picked up on in any court of law and make prosecution difficult as it’ s all based on hearsay.

For example if I said to Jib that:- El es un bebedor de sidra y un portador de ropa interior de mujer. It’s debatable as to the level of offence he would suffer.

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

However, in jobs case it would be triste pero cierto

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Jobs case.

It’s the drink problem, betty

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Sorry the connoisseur problem ahem …

• jimmygscot

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Not Berahino, more trouble than he’z worth.
    Shelvey ban is a big big blow. Toon must get an attacking and/or creative midfield player.

• lochinvar

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Nobody here knows what or wasn’t said and therein lies the problem. What was said to Shelvey when Anita – his team mate was sent off ? Anybody noticed that Anita is not of the same ethnicity as Shelvey ?
    Maybe Shelvey was defending Anita being abused by a Wolves player reacting to a tackle ? Maybe Shelvey or Anita were themselves abused by bad language ? Where was the linesman in all this ? ( can’t remember if he was on that side if the pitch ) Again we don’t know and unless the FA state otherwise I don’t think they do either . In a court all evidence is recorded and is available for scrutiny. About time the FA did the same.

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:45 PM

If you’re after a bargain check out the Tamnavulin Double Cask at Tesco for £22 . You could use it in your camping stove for that.

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM

And no I don’t work for Whyte & McKay although no doubt I do keep a lot of their staff in employment. Hic.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Tsunki…… I’ll give it a try thanks. You’ve started early by the sounds of it. lol.

• WWSBRD

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

loch
    The will post comment on their reasons for the decision

• lochinvar

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:53 PM

and by the way Mourinho is quoted as saying they ( the FA ) are ” old guys, don’t have a clue about football . I told them that are a disgrace ”

Isn’t that ageism ?
    Isn’t that against the rules ?
    What have the FA done about that.
    All the time I’m left with the conclusion that the FA are a bunch of anonymous clerks with fat pay checks. The more they sit in judgement the more they set themselves up for ridicule and contempt.

There’s the CAS ( Court of Arbitration for Sport ) – surely its about time that the FA set up a similar body to decide independently on UK football matters. Then again if the matter is serious or racist or violent isn’t that one for the Law Courts or do the FA see themselves above the law.

Just leaves the feeling that irrespective of this matter that the FA are just not up to the job.

• Tsunki

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Betty – started?

Actually it’s at Morrisons for £20! Gargle Gargle ha ha

• lochinvar

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM

WWSRBD@33 – ok, I see that, thanks.
    However I feel that they will inform of their decision in couched language . Or do they publicise the transcripts and actual details – if they do I’d be surprised, in fact I’d be bloody amazed but at least that way all concerned would know the reality of the situation and at the moment it festers on as a mess in my view.

• lochinvar

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:06 PM

“The FA sanction (against Shelvey) has been set aside pending consideration for an appeal. The player has seven days from receipt of written reasons in which to lodge any appeal ”

By my reckoning that means that the club can take until the 27th to advise on their response.
    In that scenario Shelvey is clear to play against Sheffield Wednesday on the 26th as 7 days from today takes you to midnight on the 27th.

What the club or Rafa or Shelvey decide of course remains to be seen.

• MadisonToon

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

lochinvar

I think he is banned until a formal appear is lodged. If they lodge it before the Sheffield Wednesday game then he is allowed to play, but if they don’t lodge anything then his ban is in effect. Just because he can appeal through that game does not mean that his ban doesn’t go into effect until the end of his potential appeal. At least, that’s how I read it.

• Ron Knee

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

I suppose the club have to decide whether it’s better that Shelvey should start serving the ban right away, given imminent departures to AFCON.