Clubs Line Up Bids For Newcastle Striker In January

There’s a report in the Mail today that both Crystal Palace and Swansea – two Premier League clubs fighting relegation this season – would like to sign Newcastle’s Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic in January and both are said to be willing to pay £15M for the 22 year-old.

There have been rumors and other reports that these struggling clubs are interested in adding more firepower to their ranks, but we would be very surprised if Rafa Benitez will let the young striker leave Newcastle before the summer.

Aleksandar Mitrovic after scoring against Preston

Mitro has played 14 times for Newcastle this season with 5 goals and although he is loved by the Newcastle fans for his passion and 100% effort for the cause, he has been a bit of a disappointment since we signed him 18 months ago from Anderlecht.

But the lad is young and he can still improve under the guidance of Rafa Benitez, so we think this one is a complete non-starter.

And why would the young Serbian want to join a club fighting relegation this season, when that’s what he did with Newcastle last season?

Mitro is now part of Rafa’s revolution at Newcastle and the Magpies are top of the Championship having won 16 of the 22 league games played so far and are playing to sold-out crowds at home and away.

Sell-out 52,000 crowds fill St. James’ Park every home game – the biggest attendance ever seen in the Championship.

Mitro also loves it on Tyneside.

The report in the Mail is that Newcastle are also looking to sign another striker in January and that doesn’t surprise us too much as Dwight Gayle has scored an amazing 17 goals for us and no other striker comes near that mark with second top scorer Ayoze Perez having only 6 goals.

If the right players are available Rafa will bring them in next month as he continues to strengthen the already impressive Newcastle squad.

Newcastle signed Mitrovic from Anderlecht for about  £13M and he would cost a lot more than that now eighteen months later.

At today’s prices £15M seems a low price for the 26 times capped Serbian International (7 goals) whose best years are ahead of him.

What do you think?

Note: Reader Elliot Little will be braving the sub-zero temperatures on the Great Wall of China this Christmas to raise money for mental health charity MIND.
Elliot will camp out with his friend on Christmas Eve overnight on a challenging section of the wall before trekking around the relativelty under-explored area of Jiankou on Christmas Day.
Here’s more information on the trak and his justgiving page.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:12 PM

First of all, I don’t believe it. Second of all, I don’t believe it.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Say it isn’t so, don’t send him out the door, to offer he has so much more.x

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Plus I like him.

• hibbit

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM

i would sell him…….but not for 15m would have to be over 20m for any deal to go through

• Rotonda heights

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Does mitro always give 100%? I seem to remember some games where he appeared somewhat disinterested.

Munster

”and nobody has scored anywhere near the 45 goals we have scored – with Dwight Gayle getting 17 so far.”
    – – – – – – – –
    Yes I wish Rafa would start exploiting our attacking options as you were suggesting, as he clearly hasn’t a clue!!!!!

• WWSBRD

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:21 PM

If we can replace him then fine by me

I don’t see him here beyond the summer anyway and u can charge more in the January window

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:24 PM

It’s hard to give 100% when you haven’t been given a chance to get fully match sharp. Still reckon he has a chance to contribute to the cause. Whatever that maybe. Still scored a canny whack, how many starts has he this season?

• Jib

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Marco Asensio
    A young attacking midfielder from Real Madrid on 6 months loan.

• WWSBRD

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Vask
    Why isnt he getting starts?

• hibbit

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Vask
    who would you drop to play him ?

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Who said anything about dropping anyone.? Where in my post did I say that. Also, each of your opinions are well documented. Repetitive even. I said he can still contribute to the cause. He isn’t getting starts because Gayle is showing good consistency, which is what I expect from a player considered close to the finished article. Now to use a mitro defence platitude… Still young blah blah blah. Wouldn’t be writing him off until at least jan2018. Especially would not be selling him in January and spending the money on a similar levelled replacement.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:40 PM

And he has a class song and celebration.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Didn’t realise I was standing at an empty bus station. 🙂

Jonjo is probably player of the season already for Ed with the numbers of comments he’s generated. 🙂

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Essex,

Shelvey’s form and skill doesn’t matter any more because he is a rascal… I mean racist. It doesn’t matter if he was provoked, he can wear a wig if he doesn’t like the baldy jibes. That ‘arab’ fellow which he abused can’t exactly white himself up.

• WWSBRD

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Vask
    In fairness ur post reads to me like ur using him not getting starts to defend him not giving 100% but the reason he doesnt get starts is very relevant to that

As I said if we sell in Jan and replace him thats fine by me…tbf even if we sell him for a good price and dont replace him I wouldnt be furious we already have Murphy to cover the back up target man slot and Perez might kick start his career again

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:51 PM

He could use a stronger antiperspirant though, it’s well documented.

That’s an interesting point though. If the fellow does have a body odour problem and identifies himself as an Arab then surely it would just be stating fackt.

Howay then lefties, rip me a new one. 😉

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Dubyuh,

I think I’m less impressed with perez than mitrovic. Also, gayle has such a consistent goal scoring prowess at this level, it would be silly to be dropping him. I’d say that that was the main reason he wasn’t getting the starts. Again, the three match ban at the opening of the season problem contributed to Gayle cementing a starting berth.
    Murphy is even less impressive or has at least had fewer games to prove his worth. Rafa almost admitted to him being a wee bit of a panic buy. I know he has been proven in the championship but he has less match fitness than the others.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Vask why don’t you actually read my comment.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Already did William. It was about shelvey. The hottest topic of the day. So, what did I miss?

• toonincheek

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Jib // Dec 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM

The Bosman ruling is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision – unfortunately we have Brexited and the last resort of appeal in the UK now is probably the House of Lords which is notoriously pro-establishment .

Cannot believe you said that.
    Surely you must know how inaccurate that comment is?

• lochinvar

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Mitro needs to stay .
    The likes of Palace are likely to be relegated and Shearer nevrvaued fir them and they don’t have 50,000 fans.
    Just need Rafa to unleash him when the time is right

• WWSBRD

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Vask
    Perez and Mitro are on par for me but I think theres more potential in Perez than Mitro. As for Gayle I think he starts ahead of Mitro because he does as hes meant to and tbh hes a better smarter player. Mitros ban may of helped Gayle but that was Mitros own stupidity to begin with

Not sure how u can be unimpressed with Murphy though when he has played hes done well. When did Rafa say he was a panic buy? Ive not seen that

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Fair one but to be honest mate, I actually don’t think i’ve seen Murphy play so I probly shouldn’t have an opinion on him. Didn’t use those words exactly but it pertained to him being the best of the available strikers at the time. Perhaps I shouldn’t put words in rafs mouth.

Perez seems to me more concerned with his hair these days ( one of the reasons I wouldn’t have Thauvin back), I did think he would be a cracker after his performances last season.

I do admit that Gayle is our best striker, his movement is fantastic. I’m not naive enough to call for 442 under raf. I do think a 352 may work when lazar is up to speed. With dummet moving inside.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM

The trouble with mitrovic is he seems to get adulation for no other apparent reason than his almost manic passion. That won’t cut it I’m afraid. He made no waves in the prem, and hasn’t cut it in the championship so far. Pointless saying he hasn’t had a chance / run of games / lacks match fitness it’s what everyone overcomes to become a first team regular. He isnt up to it basically. He’s had a fair chance.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Would quite like to see a 433 with Mitrovic as the middle forward with Atsu on the right and Gayle on the left cutting in on their stronger foot but playing them quite narrow with the full backs providing the width.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM

That may be so skunkster,

But after the piss poor levels of passion we’ve seen in black and white over the last few seasons, can you blame the fans for becoming adulated with the first player that comes along that shows a modicum of passion for the club? I think what drives my like for him is that I get the feeling he’d stay here for the rest of his career. The new shola he maybe, but in the end I quite liked wor sholes. Completely different attitudes though.
    Last seasons premiership campaign is a bit a unfair way to judge him. He was 21, first season in England, expectations high, Steven mclaren. The list goes on.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Vask

The comment was more about Ed not Shelvey other than the fact it he a generator of click bait.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Ah right Bill,

That’s a given though. His headlines are sometimes so far removed from the stories it is best to just ignore them. I reckon most folks are here for the comments section any way.

Apologies if you thought I was trying to belittle your post. I assure you that is not the case.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:52 PM

That may be Vaskster but why isn’t he getting into the first team? Don’t say because Rafa likes to play one up front and Gayle is scoring – we all know Rafa likes to rotate players. Why is he short of appearances, and when he does against championship opposition how come he still looks average? It’s all very well liking him but I remember shola looked outstanding in the championship before he got injured.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM

For me, unless Mitrovic can do a late burst and knock Hayle out of the starting spot then we aren’t carrying him to the prem. In all fairness even Gayle is hardly nailed on for first pick if / when we are back in the PL.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Hayle or Gayle take your pick

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:55 PM

It’s difficult to ‘judge’ what has happened as an outsider – even with the F.A. Ruling which is a subjective judgement (and monetarily rewarding one) in itself.

If jibes have gone to Shelvey’s way first, it’s unfair that it’s not either both being pulled up or just both being left as a crude squabble in the heat of the match. When the ‘r’ word is associated, it can generate a lot of pressure to act, regardless of the actual situation and circumstances.

Having conflicting stories from their players, allegedly, doesn’t help the validity of their argument.

• lesh

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM

If Pardew wants Mitro, he must be needing a winger!

• lesh

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Essex

I sometimes get the impression that the empty bus-station I’m standing at was crowded before I was spotted coming towards it. 😀

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Ooooooo! Convoi exceptiónaLe.

Always so bitey. Aside from that observation. So you ask a question and tell me I can’t answer a certain way… Strange that. I like him. He divides opinion but I like his fight, spirit and determination. Obviously I can’t use the answers you said not to so I’ll say this, I reckon he’ll come good . It may not be a set in stone fact like your opinion but it’s what I hope and think. Football to me is about aspirations, I like to live in optimism( not the valley, as it breeds fascists) when it comes to football. Serious observation and fact ascertaining is best suited for other things.x

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM

That being said tsunki,

I do agree with your follow up post.

As a disclaimer, if you read my initial post it was a poem and me saying that I like our Serbian fellow. Did not say anywhere that he should be starting. In my opinion he hasn’t had fair cracking at the whip for whatever reason.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:16 PM

I just think with Mitrovic he is never going to be first choice under Rafa unless he radically improves his movement he stands about too much ! A player similar to him is Troy Deeney both are units who are not that quick but the difference is Deeney is always on the move and works hard every game!

• hibbit

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    not even sure he has the football brain of deeney lacks pace and movement and is a bit of a loose cannon never going to fit into a rafa team on a regular basis
    off the bench at best

• mikeyconcon

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Don’t want to see Mitrovic go. The potential is clearly there; he just needs to develop a bit. Don’t want to see Gayle dropped. The form that he’s on it’d be stupid to drop hi,. I’d be happy if we didn’t sell anyone in January. We need another creative central midfielder. That’s about it.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Bask – not confrontational, just saying what I see. We’ve waited a long time to see Mitrovic yank a few trees out of the ground, and now hes struggling with a top manager a decent team and lower opposition. You have to call time on it at some point, but yes he does have a half season to go and I think if he isnt looking like the real article by summer we need to look at shifting the lad, sadly.