Crystal Palace Sack Pardew After Terrible 2016

Crystal Palace have fired manager Alan Pardew just less than two years after he joined them after leaving Newcastle United.

Last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat by Chelsea was the 8th defeat in the last 10 games and that was enough to have Pardew fired after a terrible run of results this year.

But Alan will not be short of money with the news that he will receive a whopping £4.8M in compensation from the London club.

Alan Pardew – fired by Palace

Former Newcastle manager  Sam Allardyce is the favorite to replace Alan.

Chairman Steve Parish said:

“I would like to put on record our sincere gratitude for the tremendous service Alan has given us, both in his time here as manager and previously as a player.”

“Following a fantastic second half of 2014-15, the 2015-16 season culminated in only narrowly missing out on winning the FA Cup as well as securing our Premier League place for a record-breaking fourth time.”

“During his tenure Alan’s hard work and dedication were without question, he has improved so many areas of the club and we wish him the very best for the future.”

“With games now coming thick and fast over the holiday period the club are hoping to put someone in place as quickly as possible but have nothing to say about a replacement at this time.”

Pardew issued a statement himself through the club:

“I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everybody at Crystal Palace for their fantastic support,”  “In particular a big thanks to the players who gave me absolutely everything and Steve Parish and his Board.

“I feel that I have a special bond with the club and hope that hasn’t been affected.” “Personally I have a lot of good feelings for this football Club and am sad that my time there has ended.”

“I feel that I have a special bond with the club and hope that hasn’t been affected, I wish everybody associated with the Club the best of luck in the future including of course the fans who have been magnificent.”

Here are some facts reported by BBC Sport of Palace’s terrible 2016 record:

• Points per game tally of 0.72 was the second worst in a calendar year in Crystal Palace’s history  – the worst was in 1973 when only 2 points were given for a win
  • Their record makes them bottom of all 92 Premier League and EFL clubs this year
  • A total of six Premier League wins is the second worst total over one calendar year in the competition’s history
  • Palace conceded 67 goals in 2016, the third worst goals conceded over one year in Premier League history

Those kinds of record for a manager inevitably lead to the sack in the Premier League these days when big money is involved.

Alan paid the price but leaves with close to £5M in his pocket as compensation.

• AncientC

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Pardew’s attachment to Palace cannot be all that great, considering it appears he has asked for every penny of severance he could get.

• Bobbybee

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Oh, nice of him to mention the fans there, even though it sounds like a bit of an afterthought.

• Munster Mag

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Ancient, bit of realism needed mate

• ron burgundy

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Oh happy days
    He is after the england under 21 job just for the perks and the jollys, even maybe Gareths job if he sticks the knife in lol.

• Bambams

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Expensive ‘Legend’ for Palace…..
    £2.5 million compensation to us and £4.8 million compensation for him….Plus two years wages to achieve “The worst set of results in 2016”.

• lesh

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Yes, with a £4.8m payoff, I think I’d have a special relationship with Palace – or any other employer for that matter.

If Allardyce is installed at Selhurst Park, one can only speculate how l long it’ll take for the fans get sick of him. Not long methinks.

However, such is life in football’s fast lane.

• chicousa

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Quick, now is our chance….fire Rafa and hire back Pardew!!! Lol! 🙂

• reilly

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM

?

• reilly

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM

🙂

• Bambams

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Lads as I have said it’s not good hearing someone, anyone loses their job but I never took to him and I think the rot started with his reign.
    He was so determined to be a PL manager he took whatever Ash stuck to him. That’s just my opinion.

Maybe the fact the whole of the North East made their feelings known helped to get where we are now. I for one feel much more of an attachment with my club then I dId when Pards was manager.

Blames everyone and no doubt the fact he has asked for every penny (if true as reported) he knows his next job will be as a coach on a five a side pitch on one of the Caribbean Cruise liners. …

I can’t see him getting another job.

Where is Ian Wright !

• toonking

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:14 PM

great news to hear and could do the blog good

Recent months i’ve been away from the blog, he consistent talk about parjew and his time as palace manager was partly why i didn’t bother much but now that the ashley puppet has left palace i can assume parjew, palace trolling will be gone and the blog can turn serious focus bad to newcastle alone and the odd banter of scum defeats or big team shockers.

• chicousa

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Bambams,
    I said the same thing about McClaren, that he probably would never get another job. Amazingly he did!

• archaeomag

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Thanks – that’s made my Chrimbo

[What’s the odds on John Carver being his replacement ….no that would be madness].

• lesh

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Pardew’s a very special manager who seems to break records at every club he’s at.

• chicousa

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Toonking,
    Welcome back!

• Novocastrian66

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Wonder how long it will take for the Southern press to have a go at deluded Palace fans. They may not have hounded Pardew as we did however a large majority wanted him sacked and unlike us they got they’re wish.
    If Parish stood by Pardew as long as our owner did the Palace fans would have been at his throat too.

• lochinvar

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM

From the BBC SITE
    Comment number 92. Posted by Stan the Flasher on
    23 minutes ago

A Pardew is for life, not just for Christmas

• hibbit

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM

and not a pardue lover in sight

• Moonraker15

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Right, he’s gone and we all know it was just a matter of time. The icing on the cake would for Moyes to walk from Sunderland and Percy to take over!

• lochinvar

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM

It’s worse than I thought….after Pardew’s dance at the FA Cup Final and being sacked it’s only a matter of time before he appears on Strictly Come Dancing

Quite puts me off my Brussels sprouts