Shelvey Not To Appeal Ban – A Savvy And Practical Decision

Jonjo Shelvey has decided not to appeal his five-match ban and £100K fine after failing in his personal hearing of proving his innocence to the FA misconduct charge.

That means he will not play on Monday night against Sheffield Wednesday and will not be available for the four games after that.

However, the player still denies the charge and says he is innocent of the charge.

This is what Jonjo has said in  a statement he has issued:

“I am very disappointed and frustrated with the outcome of the hearing. I strongly maintain that I did not use the offensive language that has been alleged,”

“Despite my strong disappointment, we think an appeal is very unlikely to change the panel’s decision on the case, so I have decided not to take that option.”

“Appealing the ban would also extend the period of uncertainty for the club and the team during such an important part of the season.”

“This would not be fair on my club, manager or teammates and I want to draw a line under this now so that I can return to help my team with our promotion challenge as soon as possible.”

Here are the five games he will now miss of the game through early February – they have Newcastle in bold type.

December 2016
Newcastle v Sheffield Wednesday Mon 26 Dec 19:45
Newcastle v Nottingham Forest	 Fri 30 Dec 19:45
January 2017
Blackburn Rovers v Newcastle 	 Mon 2 Jan  15:00
Birmingham City v Newcastle 	 Sat 7 Jan  15:00 - FA Cup
Brentford v Newcastle 	         Mon 16 Jan 19:45
Newcastle v Rotherham United	 Sat 21 Jan 15:00
Brighton v Newcastle                  Sat 28 Jan 15:00
February 2017
Newcastle v QPR	                 Wed 1 Feb  19:45
Newcastle v Derby County	         Sat 4 Feb  15:00

Let’s face it there was very little chance with a charge like this that the FA would ever overturn the punishment on appeal.

The FA are coming down very hard on anything racial in the game of football, so the chances of success for Jonjo were close to zero.

It’s much better to accept the charge and serve the ban and get it over with – he returns for the game at home against Rotherham United on 21st January.

We’ll just have to wait and see how the team does without the creativity of Jonjo Shelvey.

But this is a savvy decision by Jonjo.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Pardew has the presence to be a successful EPL manager, only a few have, but I think he needs a top offsider to run the training and help him with the tactical side. Clough and Fergie operated this way. I’m sure many others do and have done. I think they are essentially two separate roles, and Pardew would be well advised to find his own “Peter Taylor”.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Exclusive image of three King Percy stalwarts meeting to discuss what happened to their hero today.
    Jib Jibberish on the left, Fool from the Valleys in the centre and Ian Toon on the right.

• Jib

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I wonder if Henri Lansbury will suddenly now become fit for the Forest game ?

• Average_Contents

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Jimmy

Are you currently taking narcotics lol.

Who knew, all he needed was a right-hand man.

Wow.

• Jib

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Mr Tosser
    When was I ever a Pardew stalwart ?

• welshgeordie9

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Why don’t you change Tuff to Mr soft, remember the old soft mints adverts years ago.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:38 PM

So shelveys banned then, wonder which players are going to step up now.

• Mashley u Batfastard & lambiarse u Cupid stunt

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Them wolves players have made a Load of crap up about shelvey pure jealousy don’t think he would say something inmature as alledged he may as said this but I don’t think it was racist .hope it dosnt affect our promotion

• lochinvar

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Angela won’t suddenly be fit for the Forest game as he’ll be staying in to do his hair

• BeeGuy

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Gutless. “Taking one for the team” does not wash here. You are guilty or you are not. Denial and acceptance is the same as guilt. FA should increase the ban after what he has said about being innocent. He will now take on the aura Pardew had after Hull. They will sell him this summer, if not in this window. Every player in the league will bait him from now on and if he opens his mouth to say “Hello” he will be charged again.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Hahaha, yeah really. But I do think that it’s his coaching that let’s him down and that he needs to build a better boot room, if he wants to succeed at the highest level. He’s very hands on on the training pitch, and while you have to admire his work ethic, you’d have to think he’d be better delegating to others better equipped.

• firebug666

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM

BeeGuy

Just a tad unfair that mate, he has obviously been talking with Rafa and his advisers, and they have said that the FA are unlikely to change their minds.

He would be fighting a losing battle, and risking a longer ban in the process, At least this way he will be back in the frame after five games.

AC

I totally agree mate, I would also fight tooth and nail to clear my name, but we are not in Shelvey’s situation, Rafa will want him back in asap, so he will take this one on the chin.

• WWSBRD

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Well this rather tells the story

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Beeguy that was a bit harsh. I believe Shelvey, also I can imagine he’s probably had some assistance with his fine after a strategy meeting with Benitez and Charnley. This whole thing may come out in the wash later when the seasons lost and win etc. For now though, discretion may be the better part of valour. If he was guilty I would expect him to just accept it and all concerned to keep their lips tightly sealed.

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM

I can envisage a court case in the mists of the future….

• Australian Pie

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Bee Guy that was one of the most outrageous comments I have read.

No they are not going to sell Shelvey over this, no it will not lead to him being banned over and over again and his statement was exactly what he needed to say.

• firebug666

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Tsunki

I agree, this will not be over, he is still protesting his innocence, and I to believe him, The three wolves players couldn’t even give the same account of what happened.

The FA kangaroo court has stitched us up again, but like you I expect it will all come out in the wash, and in the fullness of time I’m sure he will have his say.

• Mag52

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Seven managers since 2010 at Palace says it all really doesn’t it.
    AP outlasted all of them, and in his two years there kept them up when they were favourites for the drop, and took them to 10th. place in the PL., their highest ever.
    Followed that up with a cup final and leaves with £5 mill in his pocket.
    Most managers jobs end with the sack, ( Rafa can verify this), and for an average manager, which, after all is no more than anyone on this blog has ever claimed him to be, he has lasted two years at Palace, exactly the average time that sacked PL managers last in jobs.
    The bitterness that he walked out of NUFC rather than getting the push still clearly rankles. Hopefully the passage of time will lessen the wierd obsession with Alan Pardew, but I won’t hold my breath.

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM

If Shelvey does think he’s innocent, he should fight on, and the club should support him. I tend to think he did use a racial slur, but is disputing what was exactly said, and the level of mitigating circumstances surrounding it, and now I won’t have the opportunity to have that view altered. Off to your FA education course Jonjo.

• WWSBRD

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Tsunki
    I hope he hasnt had assistance with the fine, this is on his head not the clubs

• firebug666

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Mag52

Walked or push doesn’t matter to me mate, just so long as he went and never comes back. He track record in not that great, and he broke all the wrong records for us.

I don’t even care that he is a jumped up egotistical, self righteous, self proclaim king, who feels the need to nick another mans food, as long as he stays away from NUFC he can be who he likes.

• Laurent Robert 32

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, Mag52.

Maybe you can add the worst points per game ratio out of all the football leagues in there. Think they have the least clean sheets as well.

He’s crap. Case closed.

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Mag52 that was a desperate attempt to paint Pardew as an expected casualty of football management churn. Citing his honeymoon periods as being an indicator of his fantastically average credentials don’t cut it in any world. The massed commentary across the football – going world sees the emperor stark naked mate, just accept it as it is and leave it in a dignified silence. You’ll be striking silver coins with his head on next.

• firebug666

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Most people think that the grass is always greener, except the inept one who thinks it’s always longer.

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM

As mentioned earlier, let’s hear it for that much maligned Pardew Out! Mob, crew, rabble, unit, collection, band, cast, gaggle, assembly, herd, flock, convention, collective, pogrom, bunch, swarm, club, ensemble, group, cabal, clutch, crowd…..

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Allardyce will keep them up. Pardew might not. It’s appears that simple.

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Wonder if Alan broke the News to Ian first so he wouldn’t read about it in those tawdry papers or on Twitbury-Upon-Sea and get all upset?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Mag52,
    Oh dear!

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Ian – hi, I got your latest postcard, thanks… but I thought id better ring you …no…no just listen for a moment … you see, I will be moving house soon. I’ve been let go. I know, I know it’s crazy we are at least a few places from relegation but its a crazy business as we all know. No, don’t write in, please it won’t do any good. No, no need to drive down tomorrow, I’ve got a meeting with the bank manager them the travel agent.. Speak again soon…bye…bye…love you too…bye…bye…

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Nothing savvy about racism. He gets what he deserves and now we will find it very hard to replace his creativity on the pitch. Shelvey has just made things harder for us! We need to buy a replacement as we rely way too much on him. Who could we get though?

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Anyhoooo…the bitterness that he walked out of this club? What! Best bit of business for a while that was… Ashley got compensated for that waste of wages, better than him being sacked any day.

• manxpie

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Strange but I suppose it shows up the FA for what they are
    if I was shelvey from now on i would
    complain about every single abuse he gets in every game especially about his alopecia see how that goes,
    See how many get dragged up and banned

• lochinvar

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Welcome to the return of hoofball
    ” Allardyce has become associated with a preference for direct football”

Bet the Mackems are crapping themselves along with Swansea and Hull

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM

I know it’s from 2012 but unless jib knows any better I’d be surprised if the extraordinary rate of zero successful appeals has changed dramatically in the FA’s disciplinary system.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:46 PM

I had almost forgot about the Ian Toon love letter to King Percy. Great judgement!

• Jib

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Very strange convoluted thinking that leads someone to think that the sacking of Pardew at Crystal Palace somehow vindicates the pricks behind SackPardew.com

Has the sacking of Allardyce by Ashley anything at all to do with his sacking by England?
    The sacking of Souness by Benfica and Torino anything to do with his dismissal by Freddy Shephrd ?
    There’s some strange folk follow footy these days.

• lesh

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Tsunki

It’s as though the FA’s policy is to give the accused a fair hearing and then hang him! As the legal who commented in 2012 said, the disciplinary system needs to be reviewed and in 2016, nowt’s changed.

• WWSBRD

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM

manx
    If Shelvey fells abused by comments that are like that then he should be reporting them…doesnt mean he should reply with racist remarks

• Tsunki

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Jib how come you are struggling with the concept? The sack Pardew crew etc saw the need for him to go because he was symptomatic of the drive to impending doom. They have turned out to be of sound vision. Do you need some kind of assistance? Perhaps a pop-up book version?

• manxpie

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM

He has said he didn’t use the words he is accused of ww and as said earlier I feel there will be another hearing at some point with proper investigation,
    He might do now and I hope he does