Sell-Out Crowds Help Newcastle In So Many Ways

Newcastle are getting good publicity lately with 52,000 sell-out crowds at the venerable St. James’ Park while we are in the second division.

And it’s likely that Newcastle will set another attendance record during our second stint in the Championship.

Last time we were down below in 2009-2010 – seven years ago – we had an average home crowd of 43,388 but this season it’s already at 50,918 and over 20,000 more than the second club in the list – Aston Villa at only 31,597 and 73.8% full.

Newcastle’s home matches have been 97.2% full which is also top of the league for the Championship attendances this season.

Rafa Benitez – he obviously wants Newcastle to be number one
In Europe

The holiday games at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Monday night and Nottingham Forest on Friday night (both kickoff at 7:45 pm) are already sold out.

So unless there’s a completely unforseen collapse, then Newcastle’s home attendance could probably be more than 50,000 this season – an all-time record for England’ second division.

Of course rather than setting these records we would have preferred that we were never relegated from the Premier League in 2009 or this year.

Sold-out crowds have a number of advantages for the club apart from the obvious – that they tend to maximize the chances that our lads winning home games and they also help with the finances.

Rafa has pointed out today they are also a huge selling point when he talks to potential transfer targets about the club – and he can point to 52,000 home crowds and we are in the second division!

Being top of the Championship is a good selling point too and the sell-out crowds prove that Newcastle remains a huge club and one of the very best supported football teams in Europe.

The club have been through some hard times over the past few years that were completely self-inflicted – and we paid the price for that in May,

But now under Rafa Benitez things are on the way back and assuming we can get promoted in May it will be a very exciting and interesting transfer window this summer.

Hopefully we will be able to attract some top players to Newcastle  – just like in the old days.

It seems like it’s back to the future at Newcastle under Rafa Benitez.

Long may it continue.

• Bambams

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:52 PM

I wonder what the attendances would have been if we still had shteve as manager……

I don’t think we would have been top either

Just my opinion

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Bambams
    Doesn’t bear thinking about!
    I have to say I’m a little surprised at Derby’s meteoric rise since he went back there.

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Can’t believe Sam A is back in the PL already!
    The man has no shame.
    It’s going to be fascinating to see if he can turn them round. And gut wrenching for the makems if he saves Palace and they go down.
    Win win for me.
    Would actually prefer Palace to go down now, just to permanently wipe last seasons-end smile off Sam’s massive jowelly face once and for all.

• Moonraker15

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Sing
    I think you’ll see Derby’s results tail off soon. They’ve had a lot of 1-0 wins! These can turn into draws and defeats; I can’t believe Schteve knows wtf is going on!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Shouldn’t think there’s many EPL teams with higher attendances either.

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Moonraker
    Aye,me neither, not on the evidence of what we saw him do here. But maybe that club just suits him?

The size of the crowds this season are no surprise to me at all.
    It’s well known all over that there is a massive fan base here that will always back the team if desire and effort are shown, and if there is the merest whiff of ambition in the air!

• Munster Mag

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Jail I don’t know how to make this clearer for you. I”d be sick as a pig if Rafa went. . But he deserved criticism at times, just like any manager does. That’s not to say I can’t love the good stuff he does. Happy Christmas to all mags fans. Agree, I can’t believe fat same has been allowed to manage in England again so soon. FA have zero principles

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:34 PM

As it quiet on here, thought I might as well repeat my earlier comments.

If I was Jonjo the thing that would p!ss me of more than the the fine and the 5 match ban is being made to attend that bl**dy correctional course.

I reckon Rafa (all hail him) is keeping his cards very close to his chest and he has at least 2 new signings lined up for as soon as the window opens.

I don’t see Tiote starting against SW Anita is the obvious replacement for Shelvey imo.

• nut meg

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:35 PM

R.I.P. Rick Parfitt

• Bobbybee

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM

The club is doing just great now. Ashley has done exactly what people were crying out for – took a back seat and let a proper – and I mean PROPER – football person run the club. I know he’s been a dick in the past, but right now, could it get much better in how the club is being run? Seems to me that Asian owners like to take the headlines and we’ve had enough of that over recent years. Rafa’s happy with the situation and so it would appear is Ashley. New owners would simply rock the boat and make all agreements Rafa had with Ashley null and void. Is it worth the gamble? Not for me it ain’t.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Munster

He’s had criticism, especially after the Blackburn game.

Thing is he realised it as well and logged it into his psyche as a not to be repeated mistake.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:42 PM

RIP Rick Parfitt, another rock legend gone. He’s been in poor health for some time so not the biggest of surprises.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Bobby

I’m with you on those thoughts. The thought of the Chinese taking over our football setup, nationwide not just us, makes me very uneasy.

The way they are shelling out cash makes me wonder where it’s all coming from. A lot of cheap oppressed workers springs to mind. They make Ashley look like a saint by comparison.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM

I’ll stop talking to myself now and give someone else a chance.

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Bobby
    Right on. This is the happiest I’ve been at Christmas as a toon fan for a long while. Ashley has done the right thing, arguably for the wrong reasons but right now who cares about that?
    Rafa has been very good so far. And we probably haven’t seen half of the improvements his influence may bring away from the pitch yet!
    Long may it continue. If / when we get up..it’s going to be a thrilling ride back in the Prem with a proper approach this time.

• hibbit

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:06 PM

at last the home crowd / fans get the recognition they deserve
    and not the slacking off we have had off some of out previous managers and some members of this blog

• Bobbybee

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Sing, not even sure it’s for any other reason but to help us succeed, to be honest. He did try to do the same last season, by stepping back and giving control to the board, along with a lot of cash they helped to waste. Right intentions, wrong people! It would’ve been easier for him to say ‘once bitten…’ but tbf he did the same thing, but this time with the right person. In fact, I doubt there was a better option out there. Rafa has shown Ashley what he can do and Ashley has kept his side of the bargain. If this is to be the future – as it looks to be – then why would you even think about changing things? It’s not broken anymore, you need to know when to stop trying to fix it. Rafa’s fixed it. We’re on the road back to the promised land and I don’t want anything to disrupt that. Would new owners even agree to what Rafa is doing, or would they want a more hands on approach? I suspect they would and that alone would force Rafa out. He agreed to stay on the grounds that he did it his way and Ashley is letting him get on with it. Gambling that away could only result in disaster imo.

• hibbit

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:11 PM

………slagging off…………..

sorry

• Bobbybee

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Hibbett, hear hear! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Or is it here here? You get my point anyway. 🙂

• Mag52

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM

You’re never talking to yourself Essex.
    Santa Rafa has certainly put a lot of NUFC fans in a good mood this Christmas time.
    Let’s hope the new year continues the good tidings.
    Happy Christmas to all bloggers.

My team for Boxing Day :
    Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clarke Dummet
    Ritchie Hayden
    Atsu Diame Gouffran
    Gayle.

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Bobby
    In my view, Ashley only pushed the boat out and gave unprecedented power to Rafa for one reason, he doesn’t want to miss out on the big time money of the TVs deals.
    Other than that, you are preaching to the converted mate. 🙂 I absolutely don’t want a new owner in right now…

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Anyone know any details about Colback’s minces?
    Seems very mysterious to be out so long with an eye infection. Hope he hasn’t got a damaged retina like the boxers get, after that whack he got in the face..

• Moonraker15

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:27 PM

This is the most optimistic I’ve been about the club for donkeys!
    Rafa is doing a great job on all fronts and obviously loving it.
    Not getting too far ahead of myself but the big test for the set-up will be when we’re in the Prem and Rafa wants to make a big money signing. Will Ashley put more money in or will he stick with the philosophy you’ve got money and when it’s gone it’s gone!
    Anyway that’s for the future; at the present I’m absolutely loving everything about the club. Sky Sports can’t wait for us to be promoted as we’ll be a constant source of news streams as always and especially with Rafa in charge.

• Jib

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Q How do you titillate an ocelot?

A: Oscillate it’s tits a lot.

• AncientC

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM

——————Darlow——–
    Anita—Lascelles–Clark–Dummett
    ————Mbemba–Hayden——
    Atsu————Diame——-Ritchie
    —————-Gayle————–

Mbemba has a cracking shot on him – drives the ball and is able to keep his efforts under the crossbar. I would like to see him get a few efforts on goal. That is if Mbema even plays, of course.

• hibbit

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM

don’t normal do the rafa bingo
    Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clarke Dummett
    Diame Hayden
    Ritchie Gouffran Atsu
    Gayle.

• Jib

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM

sing in the corner
    I doubt it’s a detached retina.
    He would either not be training at all or with some kind of eye prototector.

• martoon

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:09 PM

According to the Chronicle it was a vision problem but he’s back training now.

• Moonraker15

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Seeing all the comments about Ashley made me think back and when you consider his tenure, he always has given the main responsibility to others. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be a great judge (until now when they luckily stumbled upon Rafa). Previous trustees have been totally inept from JFK, Denis Wise, Lambias and the two who prolonged the pain, Pardew and McClaren.
    So maybe, now we have someone who is in the job for ambitious reasons rather than purely financial, the philosophy will be successful!

• sing in the corner

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Aye martoon. Just saw that Chronicle piece. They reckon he comes in for Shelvey Boxing Day… Oops, I thought Jonjo was ok to play but,duh, I thought the ban didn’t kick in yet…of course that was if he appealed. I will catch up, honest.. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Moonraker15,
    A total misconception, they were not ineot at all, it was the policy of non success that they all dreamed up that was to be our downfall. If Mclaren had of been as good as Pardew it would have continued.

• Jib

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM

B T W
    Jordan Rhodes after being on fire at Blackburn and Huddersfield is having a nightmare at Boro and Aitor Karanka is a big mate of Rafa.

• Belfast

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Rafa bingo

——————Darlow——–
    Yedlin—Lascelles–Clark–Dummett
    ————Anita–Hayden——
    Gouffran——Diame——-Ritchie
    —————–Gayle————

• Jib

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:47 PM

I’m watching SS1
    Claudio Ranieri seems a lovely bloke.
    He will get the freedom of Leicester before he leaves.
    Hopefully some day Rafa will get the freedom of the Toon

• giimps

Dec 24, 2016 at 6:14 PM

While im extremely happy with things on the football and club front, has there been anymore talk of the land behind the gallowgate being sold .
    I havent read its been sold but read it was for sale or could be, its s uch a shame as now were being run correctly, an extension to the gallowgate and increase the crowd to 60,000 per game would raise our profile even more and when were back up ( hopefully next season) there will more than likely be a queue for season tickets again so we could sell it out every week were at home, rent it outfor concerts and nfl to help pay for it.

• Moonraker15

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Jail
    So what made Ashley change? And don’t tell me he hasn’t !