Rafa Gives Hint He Will Sign These Two Players

Vurnon Anita and Yoan Gouffran were expected to be largely on the periphery of the Newcastle side this season, but they have both been starters for Newcastle with both lads having their best seasons ever on Tyneside.

Yoan Gouffran was expected to leave in the summer, but he seems to have forged a good working relationship with manager Rafa Benitez and has played some of his best ever football this season.

Yoan has been a star and if we are promoted he will go down in the annals of the club a lot differently than if he had left last January or in the summer.

Yoan Gouffran and Vurnon Anita in training
They both look happy enough

Yoan is a skilled footballer and of course he simply works his socks off for the side in every single game he plays – and that’s always appreciated by Newcastle fans.

Vurnon Anita has come into his own at Newcastle over the last year or two and certainly since Rafa arrived on the scene and immediately switched him to full-back.

Vurnon now looks like an excellent right back and he could get his place back in the Dutch side with former Newcastle right back Daryl Janmaat struggling at his new club Watford.

Benitez seems confident he can sign both player to contract extensions before the summer as he had this to say in the Chronicle:

“We were talking with them but now, around Christmas time and the festive fixtures, is not the period,”

“But in January we will continue talking with both to of them find a solution because we are happy with the two.”

“I am not worried about losing them next month.”

Yoan Gouffran has played 22 times this season with 5 goals and that compares to 96 appearances and 12 goals before this season, after signing on for Newcastle from Bordeaux back in January 2013.

Vurnon Anita has 19 appearances so far this term and both players are trusted by Rafa.

We see no reason why the two of them will not get good contract extensions before this summer to stay on as part of Rafa’s revolution.

• Graeme

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Two players who are putting in good performances, week in, week out. A 12 month extension rewards them and protects our interests. Its a “No Brainer” for us.

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM

On a more important note, 2 large bottles of Jack Daniels of my son, a case of beer of the ex wife, a bottle of Disaronno off the daughter…….. things are looking up, I add that to the other stuff and see you all sometime in the new year lol.

• Legolas

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Graeme, I agree. Give them a year extension and see how things pan out.

Firebug,

Do you like a drink then ? Lmao.

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Legolas

I do like a drink but not to that extent, usually on match days, I just get the impression that my family think differently. LMAO!

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Fire but

You’re well stocked up for refreshments. Maybe we’ll see you again by Easter! https://i0.wp.com/wptavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/smilies-standard.jpg?ssl=1

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Grrrrrrrrrr

?

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Ffs

Why aren’t smileys’ working? Anyone help?

• BandB

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I absolutely vowed I would not be reading this appalling blog at Christmastime.
    But as I’m still waiting for the parsnips to cease being pallid, I suppose I have a minute to wish you dysfunctional lot a wish that all your Christmas dreams come true and that you turn into better people in the New Year. Special thoughts to those to whom I have been horrid.
    So Happy Christmas, I love you baby x

MCTF

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:09 PM

That was the creepiest Christmas greeting since “Here’s Johnny”

• andrew84

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Happy Christmas BandB…..I take it some of the blog fraternity are off your Christmas card list? :p

• jimiley

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Anita and Gouffran were top players in the Premiership and will be again. Top 6 players who might even mpions League. A great decision. It shows you how ambitious we are.

• beermonkey

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM

firebug

how did u get beer of your ex all i got got off my ex was a trip to the clinic

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM

beer

Just lucky marra, we are actually good friends now, and we have two kids ( well not so much kids now like) so all is good.

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:20 PM

😀

• beermonkey

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM

firebug

is the new misses firebug ok with this

• Tsunki

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM

It’s like one big family on here. Intrigue, bitching, backbiting and endless bitter feuds. It’s good to share the love. 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Beer – I think firebug isn’t telling you everything. The case of beer was in exchange for his 60″ flat screen and the fishing gear.

Fair swap considering 😀

• Tsunki

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM

It’s comforting to know I’m one of the select few still on BandB’s non-pallid parsnip list. Small mercies

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Beer Aye she is mate, not that she would have a choice, we did not part on bad terms me and the ex, we just wanted different things, but managed to stay friends.

Life eh!

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Tsunki

I want to be on the list too.

• Tsunki

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Get in the queue firebug.

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Tsunki

Oh no, if you have to queue up forget it. 😀

• Tsunki

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM

On topic – damn right these lads will get an extension. Doing well in the championship but not only that, they obviously are not in the group of players who have constantly bitched about getting away. Respect due to hard working players who just knuckle down and get on with it, through thick and thin .

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM

I agree, they have both shown that they are willing to put in the hard work, and for me they both deserve a year in the prem with a world class manager and some new players.

• firebug666

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Time for a couple of drinks me thinks, I’ve gone from eating pigs in blankets to being a pig in a blanket.

• Novocastrian66

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

We need to be ruthless. Undoubtedly they both have had a good season but they cannot cut it in the big league. We need an upgrade on the both of them to compete.

• jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM

If they sign a contract extension they are potentially worth more money to the club if they are to be sold. It’s a type of “leverage” I suppose. But most importantly they are good pro’s with top level experience. It’s not at all easy to totally transform a group into better one in one window, so during the transition certain players will be utilised a little longer than others until the right deals can be done. My theory.

• jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM

It’s also positive reinforcement to keep them focussed and onboard for the crucial second half of the season, and which may even be the biggest factor.

• Jib

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:23 PM

I think BobbyBee should be disqualified for disrespect
    Yedders and Gouffy ffs
    Disgraceful
    😎

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Not checked this, but I’m sure people were saying earlier in the season that we currently had 27 players who would need to fit into a 25 man registered squad if we got promoted. We clearly need to strengthen, so by extending these contracts we reduce our opportunities to strength the squad.

Whilst both these players are playing well, neither showed they were anymore than squad filler/back up at Prem level. Undoubtedly great professionals, and work hard without too many complaints, but that could describe many a player. Maybe there is sentiment in people’s thoughts, or maybe it is rose tinted glasses based on the now.

Have they done enough to block 2 new signings of (hopefully) a higher level coming in? A genuine full back, and a genuine left winger would surely be better than Anita and Goofy….

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Lilongwwe,
    That’s a mighty quesstion on a day like this?

• jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM

I don’t think that does describe almost any player. They are technically more than capable of holding down a back up role in the epl and have shown exemplary professionalism under Rafa. Anita possibly more so, particularly at right back where he looks very good.

Deals don’t get done for a variety of reasons, so they might be considered players you could keep, if you can’t get the upgrade over the line, and I can think of a number of players you might want to replace before Gouffran and Anita.

I think how we fare next season, will depend on the four or so top starters we manage to bring in. Not whether we have Anita or Gouffran as second or third choices.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Jail,
    Probably. Everyone I had dinner with is fast asleep right now. I can’t help but feel I under indulged on food and drinks in comparison….

I’ve cracked open a bottle of Ardberg 20years to help me catch up. Comments may get less thoughtful from here on …..

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Anita and Gouffran are obviously trusted by Rafa and it would it would be folly to let them go now.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Jimmy,
    Yup, you could consider the ‘every player’ or ‘many player’ or whatever I used as an exaggeration to prove the point.

Could we bring sign a better left winger than Gouffran of promoted with Rafa at the helm? Surely we have to think so….

Could we sign a right back who is a genuine right back, rather than playing Anita there?

Would either be anywhere near as effective on their current roles against a higher standard of opposition?

Would they take up 2 valuable squad places that could go to upgrades if given extensions?

• lesh

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Lili

We can be sure that as the Ardbeg goes down so will your wisdom become more obvious.
    And, if it’s 20 years old we can look forward to some real pearls.

Enjoy. 😀

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Who do the 4 or 5 top starters replace in the squad if we do have 27 at the club (not including loanees)? This could be wrong, I haven’t looked at it, but it was mentioned a number of times earlier in the season.

If we extend Anita and Gouffran, which 7 current squad members are sold so they can be replaced and upgraded? Bearing in mind their current wages and contract lengths, and no player is obligated to depart of they don’t find it worth their while.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Jimmy,
    I have backed up the Gouff to the hilt for as long as he has been here, I do not want to see him represent us in the PL next year.