Benitez – Wednesday Are Very Good – Both Players And Manager

Rafa wants to keep his players on their toes throughout this season and he certainly doesn’t want them to get complacent and too big for their boots and underestimate any side.

That can lead to defeats and we have already seen that in home games against Huddersfield, Wolves and Blackburn which all ended up in defeats for Newcastle when we were heavy favorites to win.

So even through we have won 16 of our 22 league games nothing is ever certain at Newcastle.

Carlos Carvalhal – talented Owls manager

Sheffield Wednesday are a very good side who were the unlucky losing finalists in the Championship play-off game last May at Wembley – losing 1-0 to Hull City.

Rafa has talked to the local press about tonight’s game and he knows the Owls will be a tough challenge for the home side:

“I have said 100 times during this season that for me it is one game at a time but every single game I can see how dangerous it could be and we need to win them, so I just concentrate on that.”

“I know that Sheffield Wednesday are a very good team, they were almost promoted last year and they were really good in the second half of the season.”

“Still we have 24 games to play, and I want to be sure the players realise it is not job done yet.”

“For sure we have to approach every game trying to get three points. In April we have seven games so a lot of points still to go and we have to keep going.”

“They are well organised.” “We were analysing them and they are well organised, they have some pace and players with ability.”

“So I think they like to play, they like to pass the ball. People think in the Championship that it’s all long balls, second balls – but no.”

“You have a lot of teams that like the possession game and other teams who like the direct approach.”

“You have to cope with that. We are doing well at the moment and hopefully we can continue doing the same, because it’s not easy.”

“Sheffield have the players, the manager and the experience to know how to give a game to any team.”

Given where we are in the league – 9 points ahead of 3rd placed Reading – it is a good ploy by Rafa to challenge his players to get better this season.

That should help mitigate any overconfidence in the ranks.

And certainly it’s still true that if any player doesn’t perform, there are other players who can come in and do just that.

We are hoping for some good if belated Christmas cheer tonight with another win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lochinvar

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Tsunki ( from previous post ), here you are from a reliable source !

West Ham are being targeted by energy drinks giant Red Bull for a £200m takeover. (Sun)

• yorkymag

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:20 AM

I think tonight will be very difficult
    Wednesday are a complete team and we have lost our creative drive there’s is just back
    It’s going in to mighty tough ,
    I hope I am wrong but I can see us well beaten

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Emmanuel Riviere who is on loan to Real Osasuna until May 2017 (where he has yet to kick a ball in anger) is to move to Toulose on loan next month.

Cheick Tiote is wanted by Sporting Gijon’s manager Abelardo Fernández who needs muscle in his midfield

Tiote’s contract ends next June so Rafa only wants €500,000 – the only obstacle seems to be the length of contract , Tiote is 30 and cannot realistically hope for very long one.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Jibberish,
    Your lack of footy knowledge continues to shine through, if you were to read the invaluable Nufc.com you would know that he has kicked a few balls in anger for Osasuna, in fact one particular ball he kicked made him so angry he got himself sent off. Wikipedia doesn’t half show you up Jefferey.

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Jail
    You are right
    I should have used this

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM

No Jib you should just stop accusing others who clearly show just as much or more interest in their club than you of being footy know nowts.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I should have said our club but I’m not entirely convinced that we share the same one.

• dem

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Today’s Rafa Bingo.

The trickiest one for a while I’d say.

Darlow
    Yeslin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Anita Hayden
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle

Wanted to drop Diame into a deep midfield position but feel he’s more reliable in the role behind Gayle than Perez would be at present. Anita to slot in next to Hayden Who has a bit of freedom to get up and down the field.

2-0 Newcastle

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

RAFA – all hail him- Bingo:
    Darlow
    Anita Lascalles Clark Dummett
    Hayden Diame
    Ritchie Perez The Gouff
    Gayle

4-1 for this bonus point thingy!

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I was dithering like Dave Gollum over Anita/Yedlin otherwise correct!!

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Jail
    My (pitiful) excuse was my haste to get the news on the blog.

Remind me again the number of original news snippets you’ve posted ?

Ah that’s right – sweet Frances Adams.

You’re brill at nit-picking a totally irrelevant mistake and worrying at it like a terrier with a rat.

Does your Ma say “Eeh our Dave you never liked football when you were young – why do you pretend to like it in middle age – are you striving for acceptance ?”

• Ron Knee

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo line-up:-

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Anita Hayden
    Ritchie Diamé Gouffran
    Gayle

• Spoof

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Rafa bingo confirmed line up

Darlow
    Anita Lascellas Clark Dummett
    Hayden Tiote
    Ritchie Diame Gouff
    Gayle

• Spoof

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Score 2-1 us

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Hahahaha.
    Jib Jibberish back to his best and getting it wrong.
    Was about to highlight Jib’s error/gaffe/lack of knowledge but I see Jail beat me to it.

Jib -being a rugby man and from from Pennywell you clearly do not have an innate or even long standing knowledge of NUFC or football in general. Google and Wikepedia cannot be substitutes for this basic lack of knowledge.
    Change your game man. Netball or ladies rugby reccommended.
    Worra plonka.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM

No Jib,
    Lots of people make mistakes or get facts wrong but not everyone spends their time accusing others of being ignortant footy know nowts, if you didn’t constantly dish it out it wouldn’t make you look so foolish when you do make one of your constant glaring errors.

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

If Matt Ritchie has really got a magic hat, now is the ideal time to pull our a nice bit of form with Jonjo out. He can provide the creativity we need, but I wonder if Mitro (on his day) is usually more suited to his type of supply than Gayle.
    Trying to be as objective as I can, I agree with yorky earlier in that on paper this is a very tough game for us tonight. They are on the up, like we are again..
    I went for a draw, but hope our lads are well up for it and we solve the service conundrum.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Boohooo boohooo -it’s like a tehwier wive a wat.
    I’ll be bwave”.

Worra plonka.

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Mr (Scoop) Tosser .

Never once posted one bit of news about NUFC.

However has corrected me once of twice when I’ve got it wrong about the Mackems.

How strange!!!!

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM

New day, same childish bickering. Laters…

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM

sitc,
    Where did you get your season tickets. They reckon there are loads of single seats still available, why din’t they move people up a seat or two to make pairs, I’m sure people wouldn’t mind being shifted a a couple of seats up.

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM

SITC – You would have thought having all the in-laws and families round for a whole bloody day they would have had enough bitching!
    Normal service resumed!
    If the beggars don’t stop, I’ll start on the xmas cracker jokes!
    You’ve been warned!! You peasants! Haha!

• giimps

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Bingo time
    Darlow
    Anita lascelles clark dummet
    Hayden mbemba
    Ritchie diame gouffy
    Gayle
    Score prediction , a very hard earned 2-1
    Theyre no mugs but neither are we……Hwtl

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM

I moved seats at the start of the season, 6 along, the lad had his daughter with him, 6 seats away! His mate next to him, like! Only seen his daughter about twice since, just a bairn, but strange he could not get 3 seats together. No problem to me and saved the costs the club would have charged! Sure some like me, lone wolves, happy to move a few seats!

• Rotonda heights

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Jib / Jeff

Not quite sure why you feel the constant need to set youself as a self -styled information courier and the last word on all things NUFC to fill an apparent gap in all our lives.

I’m sure we all survived before you came on the blog with far more accurately regular updates from Newcastle newsnow and the like.

You say ” You’re brill at nit-picking a totally irrelevant mistake and worrying at it like a terrier with a rat”
    – – – – –

It’s as if the expression ”pot calling the kettle black” was designed just for you as the endless double standards and hypocrisy from you are off the scale.

If you do, as I suspect, suffer from a form of bipolar or aspergers, laced with an alcohol dependency, then of course I do have every sympathy and my heart goes out to you, especially at this time of year.

Mind you I suppose we’d miss your highly intellectual keyboard warrior terms such as calling people a t—-er and coc——–r.

• toontaff2

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Maybe some of the posters did not get a visit from Jacob Marley!!
    Looking forward to tonight’s game!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM

toontaff,
    As you say I’d be more than happy to move my two a few seats along or a row back to free up pairs, I don’t mind going on my own but it’s much better going with a mate.

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM

IfA
    We’re at the top of the lower tier in the east of the Gallowgate.. Closest to the East corner I could get! 🙂
    Can’t wait..
    Howay the Lads! I think they might need roaring on tonight, could make the difference in what I think could be fine margins..

• hibbit

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM

jfa
    had an empty seat next to me for at lest 2 seasons which has only been used on odd occasions
    8 of us seat together so it not always practical to move folk around

Hayden diame
    Ritchie perez goofy
    Gayle

3-1 to Toon

• Belfast

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Is fat Sam still not under investigation by the fa about the whole third party ownership stuff ? It would be a laugh if he got a 12 month ban haha

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Belfast
    Yeah, was wondering how he has been able to just waltz back into the Prem. Whatever happened to bringing the game into disrepute? How about a ban?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM

hibbit.
    Definitely not practical to move them all but there’d be more sell outs if there were more pairs available. It’ll be interesting to see how many tickets are being practically given away for nothing to the student unions these days, I bet no where near as many as last year.

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Come on Watford, it goes without saying!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM

It’s a shame Belfast has 99 consecutive life bans from Rafa Bingo and that my Belfast Bingo Blocker is working a treat, it might be interesting to see what his team might be.

• BandB

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Jail,

Is the unique selling point of Rafa rotation bingo still predicated on the notion that he is THE King of Rotation?
    This being despite the fact that he said himself he will not be rotating players as any kind of policy “for the sake of it.”
    And that his team selection seems to bear out that he pretty much has a favoured first-team which plays unless unfit, suspended or in serious need of a rest.

• mickybraham

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Rafa Bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Diame Hayden
    Ritchie Perez Gouffran
    Gayle

🙂

• lochinvar

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Townsend passes to Cabaye to give Allardyce his first goal for Palace at Watford

Scrooge, Marley Humbug