Rafa Warning – Newcastle Have To Improve

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has the team at the top of the Championship at Christmas with a good 49 points from our first 22 games in the league.

We are currently on track for promotion – if we can keep up the same pace in the second half of the season.

Rafa’s standards are of course sky-high and he wants Newcastle to get even better as the season progresses.

Jonjo Shelvey – will mis the next five games
Can Newcastle cope?

In fact Rafa will demand that, but it seems he’s been impressed with how good the lads have been looking in training so that could auger well for the future.

This is what Rafa has said in the Chronicle today:

“It is difficult at the moment because we are doing so well and are playing at home so everybody says that is good.”

“But still you know that my idea is that we can improve, we have to improve.” “I am quite positive because of the way they train, the players, I am really pleased with that.”

“I think that the team is fine, to lose Jonjo will be a problem, but still we have enough options and different kind of players that maybe they can do a job.”

“We have to change something – maybe it is the system, maybe it is the style – but still we can play with the same intensity and hopefully the same style as against Birmingham.”

“But in the end the most important thing is to be sure that the team is not just dependent on one player.”

“This week we have had the experience of visiting the hospitals and I was really impressed with our players.”

“I have been to a lot of clubs to go and see children in the hospital and these players were really, really first class.”

Most of our fans are expecting a win today against a good Sheffield Wednesday side, but it could be a difficult game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM

I think with Rafas tactical nous playing teams we’ve previously seen we’ll have a much better second half.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM

BandB,
    It will be very interesting to see what happens in the near future when we return to the PL. Although none of us know what’s in the contract I think it’s pretty fair to say that Rafa has not signed up with the intention of getting us promoted so that he has a crack at the Stoke job. Keeping us tenth will not land him the Man U job, we have to be hopeful that his intentions are making us successful.

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Gayle..
    17 appearances in the league, 17 goals at one every 86 minutes. Service…bang.
    Should top 30 for the season if he continues his habit of being in the right place most of the time.

• Belfast

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM

I see lots of people are copying my Rafa bingo entry. Showing solidarity thank you.

• BandB

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Jail,

As I have said many times myself……

I believe we are the windmill he has chosen to tilt at. He is clearly convinced he is not on a fool’s errand and wants to transform us into a successful club.

I very much doubt he has had copper-bottomed assurances that stretch that far ahead. Employees to not generally attempt to dictate long-term strategy to their employer at interview, and his bargaining position was not strengthened by relegation.

None of these things matter for now. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Which is why, even if I shared your convictions, I would not be voicing them so confidently.
    The fact is, should you be wrong, you will be in the invidious position of having nowhere to go but to retire “with egg all over your face.”
    And I know how much you hate it when that happens 🙂

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Picking the teams on their “who scored” ratings (Tiote’s must be from another season )

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM

sitc,
    I bloody well hope so at 11/1, why I never doubled it with us winning the league I don’t know. I think we were 3/1 at the start of tge season when I made the other bet.

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Jail,
    nice little earner..I thought as much at the time! If he stays fit it’s in the bag in my opinion. Murray isn’t far behind, but he won’t be very close at the end I feel.
    Just a thought, but while everyone is worried about losing Shelvey for 5… Hope we don’t lose Gayle. The next best scorer for us is (without checking to be sure) on 3 goals?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM

BandB,
    Why will I have to retire, I’ve never claimed that Ashley has changed and isn’t going to screw Rafa over, I am just hoping desperately that we see some kind of success.

• Jib

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:53 PM

• sing in the corner

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Jib
    Aye. If I was a betting man…

• bettyswallocks

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Jail……… My advice is not to get drawn in mate. She is a curmudgeon and a contrarian by nature. Her acerbic, belligerent requirements need satisfying so if it wasn’t you it would be someone else.

No harm in a bit of heated debate or strong worded banter you might think. But no that’s when the hypocrisy and double standards kick in and if you start to get the upper hand you will be dealt the misogyny card or maybe even reported to the police!

As is quoted in the Bible in proverbs, “A quarrelsome woman is like a dripping tap.”

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Swallocks,
    I enjoy debate.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM

If Rafa leaves in the summer because he’s been lied to, Ashley gets hauled to a tribunal again and we see the whole sorry cycle of affairs start over again.

• BandB

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Jail,

Have you not?
    I must be slipping.
    In that case you won’t mind me reminding you the next time you do.

You used to get very frustrated at those who argued that the fans can’t change anything.
    Well, there is still plenty to be done before we reach the brave new world.
    For me, I’d rather look a gift horse in the mouth than buy a pig in a poke.
    I never thought I thought of I’d be reminding you that one can have reservations and hopes for better things without being “a Mackem.”

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:05 PM

And if Rafa is just here to line his pockets and make Mikey richer while learning Geordie, visiting local landmarks hospitals and schools then we’ve fallen victim to the biggest con trick the game has ever seen.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

I think you’re over doing it their BandB.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM

BandB……….Quite good but.. I’m not quite that fat and you’re not wearing the ball gag which I would never allow!

• JamesToon

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Next summer i reckon we should be looking for those top european class players who play for those top clubs and will be looking for moves due to lack of game time etc. and also those top young up and coming players, those dele alli’s etc.

Michy Batshuayi i reckon will be looking to leave chelsea by next summer, honestly don’t think he’ll be getting much game time this season and will be another one of their pointless buys. Schneiderlin if hes still at man united, fabregas, witsel could be on frees next summer, Gibbs from arsenal or davies from spurs, tielemans. I think we have a very bright future with the players rafa could attract.

Going for 1-0 win tonight come on the toon!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM

I think there will be a lot of noise tonight, the bars will be filling up about now and tye crowd will be well olied, a good start should see quite a tasty atmosphere.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Jib Jibberish – stop stealing my gags – think of your own.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

My Rafa bingo line up.

Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Tiote Hayden
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle

2 -1 to the Toon.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM

The day is off to a flyer with the mackems 1-0 down, Just need Burnley to do a job on the smoggies and happy days.

• hibbit

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:56 PM

thats me off to the Toon !!
    good luck toon army

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Nice one hibbit, I’m setting off in about an hour.

• lesh

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Bettys

I hope you got BandB’s permission to print that photo. Do you realise that now you’ve introduced her, the exemplification of loveliness, perfection personified into the public domain, the papperazzi’ll never be away from her door.

How could you do such a thing. 😀

• Mister Tuff

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

betty – how did you know BandB smoked.

• SA Toon

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Looking forward to the game tonight as it’s televised live on SuperSport 5 in SA. Just hope the boys can adapt to the team without Shelvey. Those of you lucky enough to be going to SJP please make some noise ????????

• jasper

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Rafa Bingo
    Go with the majority
    Darlow
    Yedlin Lascalles Clark Dummett
    Anita Hayden
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle
    Score 3-1

• bettyswallocks

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Lesh……. She did send me some more intimate photos in which she was very scantily clad. These would be totally inappropriate to publish on a football blog. However if she doesn’t reel in her objectionable behaviour in the New Year and become more amenable then I may be left with no choice but to show the lads.

• TyneMouth

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM

RAFA BINGO. Confirmed Team Sheet;

…………………..Darlow.

Anita…..Lascelles… Clark… Dummett.

………..Hayden………… Mbemba.

……Ritchie……. Diame…… Gouffran.

……………………..Gayle.

SCORE……H/T…1-0…..F/T…2-0…

VIVA BENITEZ!

• Bobbybee

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Thought BandB’s was quite funny, but Betty trumped her with his card. 🙂 And all done in the best possible taste. Funny beats nasty hands down. I imagine both had a wee giggle.
    Anyway, time to get ready for the game tonight. No doubt parking will be a nightmare, with bargain hunters quickly being replaced by football fans. Still, could’ve been worse if both were there at the same time I suppose. Just hope nobody nicks my usual place…
    Looking forward to this. Eight days without is almost as bad as an international break.
    Enjoy the game wherever you are, I fancy another comfortable win tonight. 3-0 will do me fine. 🙂

• Bambams

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Rafa Bingo
    Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummet
    Ritchie Hayden Diame Gouffran
    Perez
    Gayle
    4-2 toon

• Madmag

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:42 PM

how come so many children post on here with their silly jibes etc.

• jasper

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Anyone want a single ticket? Got a last minute drop out.
    First come first served.