Some Good News About This Newcastle Transfer Target


Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez seems to have three priorities for the January transfer window – he wants to bring in a  winger, a creative central midfielder and a striker.

But it remains to be seen if good enough players are available next month, otherwise Rafa may not be able to  strengthen the first team squad.

We have been linked with a number of strikers over the last few months and one of them is AFC Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson, who has both speed and skill up front.

Callum Wilson – Bournemouth striker

While Newcastle have scored 45 league goals in the Championship this season and that’s more than any other team, we are still short of firepower when 17 goal Dwight Gayle is not in the side.

Any player Rafa brings in must also be able to perform at Premier League level, and that’s assuming we can get promoted straight back to the Premier League this season.

If we cannot do that it will be another disaster for the club – but we are still expecting to be in one of those two automatic promotion spots when the current season ends.

The good news is that AFC Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has said they could be willing to sell players next month, depending on the circumstances.

This is what Howe has said in the local Daily Echo:

“If we did receive any bid then obviously we would look at it, But as far as I`m concerned, we wouldn`t want to sell any player who is a key part of our long-term plans.”

“Providing the players are happy, which I think they are, then we will be keeping the squad intact.”

Newcastle brought in Matt Ritchie for around £10M from Bournemouth in the summer, so we have done business with the south-coast club before.

It would also depend if Callum wants to drop down a division and that’s why our next few games are going to be important to show we are still extremely likely to be promoted from the Championship in May.

The defeat at home to Sheffield Wednesday was the last thing we expected on Boxing Day.

🙁

West Ham have been interested in Wilson this year and Everton are looking for a striker to bring in next month and Wilson is reported to be on their radar screen.

We’ll have to wait and see if Newcastle put in a formal bid for Wilson next month.

But if Jonjo Shelvey is badly missed in the next several games while he’s out suspended, it could be that a creative midfielder becomes the top priority for Rafa Benitez next month.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

5 comments so far

  • mindshaft

    Dec 28, 2016 at 8:15 AM

    Comment #1

    hopefully we’ll thrash forest and get back on track – we need to keep a gap to third and I’d imagine the teams below such as Reading now have a bit of hope they can actually catch us and grab an automatic promotion spot

    0
  • cyprus

    Dec 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM

    Comment #2

    I agree we need to fill those three positions. We are still in a dogfight with some admirable clubs given their meagre budgets and clout. Now is the time to splash some cash.

    If the new players don’t work out, OK, we have a half decent squad. But if they do, we’ll just kick on.

    I haven’t seen enough of my team, but I have noticed that we scraped some results… Which means they could’ve gone the other way.

    Buy Rafa, buy.

    0
  • Grafton83

    Dec 28, 2016 at 8:28 AM

    Comment #3

    African cup of money, I mean nations isn’t going to do as much damage to our starting 11 as it could have done. Does mean we’re missing cover but it’s just No Mo who’s a regular.

    I think we should just stick to the plan of buying prem quality wherever we can improve on what we already have. If Rafa would play 2 strikers then yes to Wilson but I’m not convinced he’s that far ahead of Gayle if we just play 1. If he does come Mitro is surely off and what was the point in buying Murphy.

    0
  • Charlie in the Gallowgate

    Dec 28, 2016 at 8:38 AM

    Comment #4

    I don’t think it’s the forwards we should be looking at – it is our Midfield.

    We only have Shelvey who is productive – has the vision to pick a pass.
    The rest huff and puff with little or no creativity

    And Full-backs – If we are going to persist in playing narrow then we need attacking full-backs who can overlap and get a cross/pass over/in.

    To me – I would play two up front at home as we had loads of possession but little cutting edge – we hug and puff passing the ball sideways looking for a opening which does not come because we play so slow ponderous football we are ay to close down.

    0
  • anthc

    Dec 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #5

    No thanks he was dross against Southampton. We need a creative player and someone who can beat a man.
    I think must of our possession against Wednesday was with our back four. We need to speed the passing up and get someone who can play a cutting pass or beat a man and disrupt the oppositons plan. We struggle against compact teams who also press us quickly when we have the ball. I would’ve had mitro up top with gayle and put in a few direct balls. Not pretty but you don’t always win passing between your defence. Diame was poor, hayden got caught dwelling on the ball and perez was his usual show pony trotting slowly on the pitch. Gayle done nothing either although he did get fouled alot which was probably the plan to put him off the game. Still along way to go, it’s gonna be tough no doubt but we need to grind some more results out as we are capable.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.