Rafa’s Full Record For 2016 – It’s Impressive

Since Rafa Benitez came to Newcastle on Friday 11th March, things have looked up at the club even though he failed to save us from relegation.

But we ended the season with three wins and three draws in our final six games and we beat Spurs 5-1 at home on the last day of the season in front of a sold-out St. James’ Park crowd.

Those sold-out crowds have continued at home even though we are now in England’ second division.

Newcastle are currently top of the Championship with 52 points from our 24 games – a rate that will see us reach 100 points if we can keep it up through the end of the season.

Rafa Benitez with his October Manager of the Month award

We have compiled a list of the three competitions Rafa has participated in during his 38 games in charge of Newcastle United in 2016.

[table "61" not found /]

That’s a 60.5% win rate and a loss rate of  26% and a goal difference for the 38 games of a whopping 43.

Rafa has transformed Newcastle and the transformation is continuing – long may it continue.

Newcastle United and Rafa Benitez are a match made in heaven – it’s as simple as that.

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:37 PM

I think the game against Preston when Mitro appeared more interested in his own performance than the team’s and his spat with Ritchie, over the penalty, showed Rafa how immature he is! If he’d taken the pen, even scoring, I don’t think he’d even be on the bench, now!

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:37 PM

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I’ll say it again! HaHa!!!

• magpie6699

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:41 PM

What did you say, Toontaff?

• hibbit

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:42 PM

90% on here total over rate him

• AncientC

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Averaging 1.3 points per game in the PL, plus results improving. Benitez given a full season probably would have had us above Chelsea last term.

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM

EGB, I had a decent football brain, in my days playing in the local (pub) league “B” team, but my feet were not connected and the other players just weren’t good enough, haha! Took to running long distance instead, once realised I was not a very good player! I enjoy watching the Toon, see a lot of what goes on, bow to some who see things I miss! Interesting views, analysis many better than mine!

• booboo

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM

rafa benitez the most boring manager i have ever seen he remind me of tony pulis in a spanish version but atleast we winning hurrraaaaa dont attack me because i thought he was much better manager than he is. its like the girl u like so much just to find out she aint who u thought she was. that my feeling about rafa the gafa. but dont attack me peace among us fans. we we are newcastle. its like i talk bad about shearer when u talk truth about benitez relax. let him give us silver first that all i am saying. before u pu himt up there !!! HAPPY NEW YEAR HOPE ITS GOOD 2017 BACK IN THE PREMIER L. WE ALL WANT THE SAME IN THE END A SUCCESSFUL TEAM SO I SUPPORT THE TEAM AND THE GAFFA TOO TO U HATERS OUT THERE TRUTH HURTS

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Jib

We may not always agree (slight understatement!) However, with this below I take my hat off to you. Absolutely superb
    – – – –

Jib // Dec 31, 2016 at 12:20 PM

The hero worship of Mitro by the more thuggish element of toon support has less to do with his footballing prowess and more to do with the fact that he would not look out of place in the Bigg market on a Friday night.

“Hev ya seen that tatt on his neck ? – it’s geet lush – Aam ganna get one wiv me nex giro “

• WWSBRD

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM

hibbit
    U don’t have to tell me haha

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM

equally impressive from oldgit
    – – – – – – – – – –
    He (Mitro) does not fit into Rafa style of play and it’s well documented that he is a nutcase, immature, and doesn’t follow instructions. In other words a loose cannon, that cannot be relied on. Those supporters that are taken in by the hero worshiping of this player are doing Rafa an injustice and is disrespectful to the best manager for a while.

• AncientC

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:51 PM

“its like the girl u like so much just to find out she aint who u thought she was”

Not quite. Rafa’s style of football was known before he arrived, it shouldn’t come as a shock. It isn’t always going to be pretty, but Benitez will most likley improve this club and leave it on much better footing than he found it.

• WWSBRD

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:51 PM

booboo
    Am not sure how much football u could of watched if u think Rafa is like Pulis

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I went back over some of the comments, since the game and JIB has sussed the mackem “WUM’s” I think!
    No one has said we played great, but 3 points are all that matter! Not sure the crowd were too bad, frustrated, yes! Forest got lucky with their goal, due to our poor defending, which played back into their cheating hands! I would have preferred giving them a good pasting, but seeing the red card, then scoring2, was a good second prize! Mitro looks like he’ll be sold, but, like many, I have no issue with that and feel some fans are way over the top in the way they rave over him! I would love to see him do well, but they could dress me up in a daft costume, pay me half his wages and I will run up and down the touchline, fist-pumping and take his place!!

• Rotonda heights

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:54 PM

booboo

I think you just contradicted yourself all the way through that on every point. You seem very unsure of what you’re trying to say, like you’re in 2 or 3 minds.

• Bobbybee

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Just had a call and got to go out, but I’ll leave this before I go.
    Last night wasn’t great again. The scoreline simply covered over some scary cracks. Are we really a one man team? I certainly hope not, but the two games we’ve been without Shelvey, we’ve struggled to break poor teams down. Last night highlighted it even more. They were really poor, yet we seemed clueless as to how to get through them. The lack of movement is alarming. At one stage Colback had the ball and the entire team looked like, they were playing statues.
    Atsu seems to be the only player willing to take defenders on, apart from Yedders when he comes up. You need pass and move to break a stubborn defence down, or a player willing to run at them. Last night was the first time I’ve questioned Rafa all season.
    This insistence on 4231 is fine when the players are there to make it work. Without Shelvey we look clueless. With the players available it was begging for 442 last night. Rafa has played it before, but only when we’ve been losing. If it’s good enough when we’re losing, it begs the question why we can’t start with it sometimes? Two wingers. Three great crosses in the first half, met by the weakest headers imaginable. Not knocking Gayle, that’s not his strong point, but Mitro or Murphy would’ve buried them.
    Clearly something needs to change. New signings might cover it, but if not, a change of tactics is a must.
    We never looked like scoring last night until their man was sent off. First goal was a bit lucky, but we’ll take them all day. After that it was huff and puff and no end product. For the first time last night I got angry with the lack of invention and that’s not like me at all.
    Perez is a waste of space. How he gets in the squad, let alone the team on current form is beyond my comprehension. Diame changed the game when he came on fortunately and going past players opened up space for others.
    So, not really a rant, just expressing an honest opinion. Rather than us working out other teams second time around, it’s looking the other way round. This team should win this league, but the last two games have been a worry.
    No doubt Rafa will sort it out. He has the experience and talent. He must see what we see and he knows what to do. Anybody thinking we can still walk this league, which included me to be fair, need to reassess the situation. As does Rafa. You can attack me later if you wish, just saying it how I see it.

• reilly

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:57 PM

that booboo and toonfan8 are multiples.

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM

You’re not just a fat Spanish waiter………….
    You’re a Spanish Tony Pullis………….

I’ll try the second line out in the Gallowgate against Rotherham……..please get the ambulance ready!!!

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Paramedic -Psych ward Not A & E for toontaff2!
    Spanish Tony Pulis……………

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM

I’m also stuck in 2 or 3 minds!!!
    Paella Pulis?

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Looking forward to a good new years eve and what will make it better sunderland getting stuffed off Burnley

• magpie6699

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM

booboo – you’re entitled to your opinion but I can’t quite get to grips with the bit about a “boring manager” and others going on about the team being too defensive? We have scored way more goals than any other team in the Championship and I’ll bet we rate highly for number of attempts as well? Presumably all the other teams are even more boring and defensive?

• LGFUAD21

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Some fans really do have a short memory and i am beginning to agree with the pundits that say we are mre of a hinderance to the team tham help.

A lot of fans really are acting like spoilt brats with an opinion dd sense of entitlement given weve mot been a decent team for well over a decade and a half now.

I think Rafa needs to tweak his tactics as much as the next man. I think a bigger presence like mitro up top could allow us to play better. And we seem to be just sitting in games hoping that gayle can do what he does. But howay man, hes the best manager weve had since sir bobby.

Hes turned around this sh!t show of a club. Created a completely ew mentality in a team that was stock full of losers and lazy buggers. Hes got us playing as a team and we are getting results.

How can anyone look at that table and say rafa isnt doing a good job.
    And its nonsense to just belittle the league. This is a tough, competitive league. Far more competitive than the premier league

• LGFUAD21

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Bobby?

How are wednesday a poor team?

They’ll be nearer the top end of the play off positions come end of the season.

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Huddersfield camped in Blackburn’s half, it’s all Huddersfield, they haven’t broken them down yet – skysoccer news , Jeff Stelling , Paul Walsh at the game

• Mister Tuff

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM

We are halfway through the season and sitting on top – (probably second if Brightons’ game was not abandoned).
    Now comes the interesting parts – the window and the run in.
    A few teams fall away in the run in – historically -Brighton is certainly one.
    I think we’ll be buying in the window -a couple a least.
    What happens if Shelvey is injured, what happens if Gayle is injured -cannot see Mitro being sold in this window.
    So far Bentitez is earning his corn- workaholic – trying to get the club running properly after years of neglect -not easy.
    As I say Bentitez is earning his money – should he be the topic of criticism -of course he should when fans think it neccesary -should he be applauded – of course he should.
    Funny how some want to deny hero worship for some yet hero worship others themselves.

• Bambams

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I see the Forest manager is not happy with the sending off….Stating the 4th official has ‘exaggerated ‘ the incident !

You could not make this up

(Source Evening Chronicle on newsnow)

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Magpie6699, thanks for letting me know about the two yellows cards bro

• booboo

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:09 PM

toontaff2
    hahaha thats some funny shit cant believe how dangerous that will be. its even dangerous in here to talk about rafa . i will say that i hope the best for this team even if it is against my vision i support the team the club before anything. even though rafa is the gafa i will support it because the club much bigger than any man.

• Bambams

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Rare that I comment on the ‘cat-fights’ on here and I appreciate everyone has opinions but to have a pop at Rafa after what he has done for our club.

We were the laughing stock and had a team of footballers who only thought of themselves, now we are top of the league with a very good group of professionals. Although some out of form I still know which team I would rather have.

But it’s just my opinion

• hibbit

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:13 PM

LGFUAD21

the thinking on here does not reflect the opinion of the vast majority of fans that go to games so many wums on here looking for a reaction

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Irony goes over some people’s heads!!!

Mammy can you get the irony oot to press me shirty!!!

• Oldgit1

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM

I can see Murphy starting on Monday with gayle on the bench. That will upset a lot of Mitro worshippers. Gayle is far too important to us at the moment. Not bothered about a FA cup run at the moment. We must get into the Prem then take it from there.

• booboo

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM

i really hoped for something else but i dont take nothin away from the team. the problemis when we play bad its really bad we could have used the squad more changed tataics more thats what i mean about boring. its a few players making diffrence rather than team play control. the lack of exitement. but are winning most games yes are we on the yes. but not the way i wanted to. so please understand where i am coming from. dont wanna bash the team or the players-because i want the best for club

• hibbit

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:20 PM

booboo @ 29
    thats the biggest pile of shit i’v ever read on here

” even though rafa is the gafa i will support it because the club much bigger than any man.”
    jealous mackem WUM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM

I believe Bobby has hit the nail on the head. It’s our off the ball movement which is our Achilles heel.

Too many players spectating rather than getting involved, Rafa (all hail him) needs to sort out that side of our game.

• toontaff2

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Oldgit, you mean Birmingham in the Cup, on next Saturday? I think Gayle will be starting against Blackburn on Monday, especially after what happened in the last Blackburn game.
    But I think Murphy will be a starter in the cup game.
    If we’d been on a long winning streak, people may not have accepted a “weaker” team in the cup but it’s the way forward now, I think.

• reilly

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:22 PM

booboo are you from wales.

• booboo

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:22 PM

i dont care about u former pardew supporters in here i care about the club

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Murphy! I’d almost forgotten about him, hasn’t even been making the bench, why?