It Could Be Difficult To Get Transfer Targets In

Newcastle are going through a rough patch at the moment having lost four of our last eight games and we have ceded the top position to Brighton who seem to be able to go on winning.

Brighton are on a 12 game unbeaten streak in the Championship having drawn only three of those games, so they have 30 points out of the last possible 36 and in our last 12 league games we have eight wins and four losses so they have gained 6 points on us in that time.

It’s good to have somebody calm and experienced in charge and there’s no panic from Rafa Benitez, because after all we are still in an automatic promotion spot and have a 6 points lead  on Reading who have a game in hand on us.

Callum Wilson – difficult to get this player in

Rafa’s trying to bring in some players this month but it could be difficult to get them through the door.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek could be going to Brighton according to the latest reports and another top target is Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson and we’d be very surprised if he wants to leave a good Bournemouth side this month to join Newcastle in the second division.

Maybe the best chance we have is to get Tom Cleverley in from Everton and he would be a decent signing although he’s been rather mediocre in the Premier League.

We have been linked this morning with Norwich winger Robbie Brady and he would be a very good acquisition – if we can get him in.

Rafa is not one to go down his transfer list too far if the good players he wants are not available and it could be he keeps his powder dry until the summer if he cannot get his top targets trough the door.

But one player we definitely need in is another central midfielder with some flair.

We have badly missed Jonjo Shelvey – the good news being Jonjo has only one more league game to serve of his five game suspension at Brentford a week on Saturday.

We play Birmingham on Saturday afternoon in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and a win in that game would give the lads some confidence and could be the start of a good winning run.

That’s what we need to do.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Betty

Sorry to all those who were or have been genuinely offended .

Offense of innocent parties was not my intention.

Mr Tuff got under my skin (which was his sole intention) and I reacted thoughtlessly.
    Really I should feel complimented that the goon is only trying to bask in my patently superior knowledge.

I deliberately used the phrase “genuinely offended ” as feigned outrage is a common blog device to cause trouble.

Again – if offense was really caused I apologise – that was not my intention.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Jib…… Fair play, you can do no more than that. I tend to agree about the feigned outrage , I have noticed the Political Correctness mob hovering ready to swoop also.

We shouldn’t have to tread on eggshells on a football blog IMHO as we do come on here to supposedly let off steam and air our views amongst like minded fans.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Betty
    I have been trying something with a bit of success.
    I suspect there are more Mackem 5th columnists on here than the majority realise.
    I deliberately posted a couple of provocative comments about the Jermain Defoe situation and lo and behold I get pounced on (and foolishly react)
    Food for thought methinks !

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Betty – you think me being offended by the word ‘mongoloid’ because I had a sister with Downs is just an act of ‘political correctness’?

And why did Jib not only wait until the next day to say sorry, he had to be promoted to do it? And this is someone who claims to be a grown man? Too little too late for me. Sorry.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:47 PM

I know we are looking for a midfield playmaker but if we are looking to get anyone from Chelsea on loan then surely it would be worth to look at Charly Musonda.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM

And now it’s not his fault because anyone who dislikes him is a Mackem who made him say what he said. Unbelievable.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Chancel………. I don’t know how old you are but there was a time when people used to tease, poke fun at , take the piss, or whatever you want to call it, out of each other without any intention of causing serious offence or upset.
    Granted that is now a bygone era but I preferred those days when Politcal Correctness and people being hyper sensitive to what might be deemed as insulting was not as it is these days. I think Jib is also from that era when piss taking was a way of life for a lot of footy fans.

We obviously have to find the middle ground on this issue to avoid people taking offence.

• JamesToon

Deulofeu – £5m
    Atsu – £4m
    Wilson – £16m

• Lindisfarne

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM

W17 D1 L7 2pts per game

Looking good for promotion and after a poor start in the first few games, we are exactly where we need to be. Things have hit a slight bump but a good cup run would be useful to give the squad an opportunity to shine and challenge the more established first team players. In the cup match against Hull we struggled to show the quality required to challenge in the Premier League and our defeats have highlighted a lack of real attacking technique. However, the physically robust, energetic and organised team has dominated many matches and achieved a great number of victories.

Rafa has stated recently that we just need to continue doing what we are doing and we shall successfully be promoted, which is more than likely very true. Playing defensively, not conceding and not allowing the opposition too much possession would usually be the correct philosophy to win more matches than we lose. In the second half of the season I am looking for the team to show more of an attacking threat and not to just rely on the Shelvey / Gayle combination to win games.

• nut meg

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Brady’s a very decent player & would be a huge improvement in the LMF / LW position. Will Hughes would be the CMF player I would want to see us bring in, this window if at all possible.

• nufc 11

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM

Love to see Brady bought quality on the ball can play Lb can take free kicks and penalties no brainer maybe Elliott and Murphy could have a chat with him.

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Bettys

Jib’s apology, you might have noticed is conditionally offered to those who were genuinely offended. But does it not occur to the clown that Down’s Syndrome is not something to be used as a jibe?

I would add that this post is not coming from one of the PC brigade but from one who tries to consider the feelings and sensitivities of others.

It was drummed into me as a kid that an apology means nothing unless there is a genuine desire not to cause offence or pain again. But, Jib used the words before yet he continues to be offensive to other posters.

He’s not the only one who’s unable or unwilling to observe both Ed’s and internet protocol and posting such offensive comments will surely and slowly dampen any enthusiasm Ed and his son have for running the Blog.

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:59 PM

* For clarification…..

….But, Jib used the words (sorry) before yet he continues to be offensive to other posters.