Newcastle Defender Is Wanted On Loan

The last two games Chancel Mbemba has started for Newcastle he put in two very poor performances and we lost both games.

The first was the home game against Wolves, which we lost 2-0 and that had followed the mid-week mauling of QPR 6-0 away – and the Wolves result was a complete and utter shock.

Then the second game he started was against Bolton at home in late November which we lost 1-0 and that ended our nine game winning streak .

Chancel Mbemba – loan move?

So you cannot blame Rafa for being hesitant to include the center-back in the team, but whether he will allow the 22 year-old to go out on loan this month is another matter.

There are reports in Belgium that his former club Anderlecht want him on loan for the rest of the season, but surely there can be little chance that Rafa will allow one of his four center-backs to leave the club this month.

Chancel’s form has been very disappointing this season and most of us thought he would be a starting center-back like he was last season in the Premier League – his first season on Tyneside.

But it hasn’t turned out that way mainly due to his poor form and the outstanding displays of new boy Ciaran Clark, who is having a great season for us – maybe our best defender so far.

But Chancel could be sold this summer as Rafa will attempt to further improve the Newcastle squad when we are hopefully back where we belong – back in the Premier  League.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Mbemba shouldn’t be sold, good player now with a lot of potential. People seem to forget his age and expect young lads to perform week in week out. Youngsters are inconsistent, you get the ups and downs with them. That’s without acknowledging that centre half don’t peak in their early twenties.

I know we are looking for a midfield playmaker but if we are looking to get anyone from Chelsea on loan then surely it would be worth to look at Charly Musonda.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Hahahaha
    Jib Jibberish – squirming again – now calling me a goon.
    Jib – I was only pointing out a mistake you had made. I will not normally comment on the usage of folks grammar on here, but for you I do make the exception.
    Now you are wailing on saying I get under your skin – you should not let it bother you to be corrected you need to be a bwave soldier.
    Please no more wailing ” Boohooo boohoo Mister Tuff got under my skin, boohoo”.

Hilarious.
    Now if you do not mind, I feel I must seize the moment.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Still surprised that we haven’t tried Mbemba as the defensive midfielder as he plays in the position for his country ?! Looks to have everything you would need to be a success there!

• Mister Tuff

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM

• mad-serb

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Not another good young prospect to be shipped of, after having a really good opening season in the premier league.

Needs to be given his chance, but the rotation policy in certain position are truly down the Toilet. We had dips in form at the back but some players are just “undroppable” it seems.

Rafa has his favourates I guess

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Mr Tuff
    Stand a bit closer honey.
    You not getting the full glare – basking in my light

• kimbo

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Another player Pardewed by Rafa just like Mitro. Cannot expect players to sit on the bench for weeks and then be match ready. Get them playing regular football matches in the reserves and then comment. Mbemba is much better than Anita or Dummett!!!!

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Len Shackleton ( Mr Tuff he was a good football player in the past ) famously had a chapter of his autobiography entitled “What the average football director knows about football” followed by several blank pages – that could now be entitled “What a lot of bloggers know about football “.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Lee Charnley bunga

Not a bad idea putting Mbemba defensive midfielder or midfielder cannot do any worse some in midfield
    Least he can pass the ball – FORWARD – and – CARRY – the ball unlike some

Hope fully RAFA experiments at Birmingham with a different line up
    and go with there defenders – two up front.

Me
    Darlow
    Yedlin, Clark, Dummett
    Mbemba, Hayden
    Ritchie, Goufran, Anita
    Mitrovich, Gayle

not sure if Africa boys available

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:09 PM

kimbo // Jan 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    Another player Pardewed by Rafa just like Mitro

Oh dear oh lor !!!!

• mad-serb

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Anyone else noticed that apart from the Norwich game, once we have gone behind we have yet to win or draw a game.

That is a bit of a worry

• kimbo

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:20 PM

mad-serb,
    Yes it is obvious if we go behind Rafa is either stubborn or does not know how to change the game. He will bring on Perez who achieves nothing and then a big striker with 5mins to go, then it is too late.

• sholasupporter

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Are the same people that are giving Rafa grief for sticking with a CB partnership the same people that called for the over rotation to stop? Clean sheets in 40% of games, only conceded more than one goal in a game on 3 occasions and now you want Mbemba to be in the squad?
    For who? The well performing Clark or our captain?

• GallowgateGeordie67

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM

“Pardewed by Rafa”

I have heard everything now

• mad-serb

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mbemba has left for the AFCON if I am not mistaken so he wont be available to play, but I agree with you. I also said the same thing at the time of Shelvey suspension. Could do worse than colback has done.

• sholasupporter

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM

sorry 4 times we have conceded more than 1. One was against Forrest, doesnt count 🙂

• andrew84

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Couldn’t help noticing that someone (think it was the Overrated Frenchman) mentioned a while back that Brighton are a better proposition than Newcastle, because we play the most unimaginative football in the entire division. I would agree that Brighton are not a bad alternative to ourselves, but to say that a team with the best goal difference in the division is the most unimaginative out of 24?

Is T.O.F. a WUM or have I left my irony-spotting spectacles at home? Sincere apologies if it’s the latter – it’s becoming harder to spot the genuine posters out of the myriad closet mackems haunting our blog of late.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:28 PM

ON the Brady link.

YES please.

He can cross for 1. Is the completed package as a full back being able to defend and attack well. He’d certainly be an upgrade on Dummet and is easily Premier League quality so would be a valuable addition.

On this article. I think Mbemba has been unlucky that Clark and Lascelles has developed such a good partnership. There was heavy rotation of the back 4 at the start of the season but once those 2 clicked Hanley and Mbemba have has no chance.

Here’s an interesting pipedream though.

————————Darlow——————-
    —–Mbemba —- Lascelles – Clark——–
    Yedlin ——-Hayden—-Jonjo—–Lazaar
    ————————Diame——————–
    ——————-Mitro—-Gayle————–

That’s a fluid formation on paper.

Our wingers are doing jack all whereas Yedders and Lazaar have pace to burn and love getting forward.
    A tight midfield 3 for maintaining possession
    2 up top for more presence.

I’d be interested in seeing what would happen if this were tried.

• sholasupporter

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:31 PM

LGFAUD
    I like it! Anyone got rafas email address?
    A lot of championship teams play through the wings though and it could be vulnerable to that.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM

mad serb

It was quite rightly pointed out the other day by another poster.

If we score first, we win. If we concede first, we continue to play the same and don’t react.

I think we are an odd team.

We thrive on the counter and in stretched open games but we tend to try and play the patience game.

Teams tend to adopt a tight defence against us.

If we do score, we open up games as the opposition has to then attack and we become a better team when they do.

If the opposition scores, they are happy to resume their defence first tactic and we are happy to keep playing the patience game and not react.

Our performances always pick up after we score the first goal.

Sadly, we cant just say “Well then lets play the counter” as the way teams set up against us doesn’t allow that.

We have to focus on getting more cut through from our wingers as well as moving the ball up field faster. I still believe we also need some height and power up top for when Gayle isn’t getting his chances.

• mad-serb

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:35 PM

sholasupporter

You could do a couple of things. Firstly our captain has had a dip in form, not to similar to earlier in the season, when he was dropped.

Mbemba had a bad game against Wolves and since basically been ignored. I am more than happy with a settled combination. I think Clark has been our best defender so far this season, but I think when required he could play left back as he did earlier in the season as he offer more going forward than Drummet and we do not lose anything defensively.

Rafa talked up rotation therefore we have sort of expected it but since the wolves game, we haven’t seen to much rotation. only the odd player here and there and halve of our big squad is not been utilized, even though we are struggling at the moment.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I agree with sholasupporter

We have a solid CB partnership. We should leave it be.

Has Lascelles form dropped that much? It’s certainly not the performances we saw a while back but I’d hardly say he’s doing much wrong.

Mad-Serb

Clark can play LB but every time I saw him play there I was horrified. I honestly dont even think he’d do much better than Dummet there.

Dummet is a more than capable defender in this league. The issue many have with him is that he can’t attack and has no right foot which means too often when faced by an opposition player he will turn and pass back to Clark.

In Anita at RB we have balance, he has shown he can get forward and help out (even if his crossing has been woeful of late) as well as defend.

At LB we have one player who can defend and another option that can attack but no one that can do both.

On rotation

I admit, I am surprised by the lack of it based on Rafa’s history. Then again though, I think many players have staked a claim for starting berths.

Darlow – combination of good performances and some clangers from Sels

Lascelles and Clark – Reliable, formidable partnership, seem to communicate well.

Shelvey don’t really need to explain this. needs to start (as we realise all too much now)

Colback has been injured and poor so we have no choice but to always start with Hayden.

Gayle has been banging goals in left right and centre so he has to start.

Diame ahead of Perez (Perez has been poor all season and never really in games)

The only positions where I’d say we could probably rotate without much argument would be the wingers and full backs. No full back has really stood out from the other.

As for the wingers, they’ve all been about the same once Ritchie lost his magic hat.

If Rafa keeps his 4231 formation, which he traditionally has been stuck to then the spine of the team pretty much picks itself.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM

As for the 4231 thing.

I think some games we should definitely have gone 2 up or switched our No 10 out for another striker. But I do worry for Rafa given the history of that formation on this blog.

Everybody has been against it since Schteeve came in and used it.

The formation isn’t always the problem though. But the roles players are given within it.

Lets not forget that 4231 is the most popular formation in European football atm.

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Let him go out on loan and gain some confidence for when we are back in PL

• JamesToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:56 PM

LGF

I genuinely think that rafa’s tactical setup will be so much more effective in the prem than in the championship. In this leagues a lot of teams play narrow and deep against us, in the prem, home or away most teams will be looking to play football and attack us, giving us more space to exploit.

Im confident we will find our mojo back again. The fluid football and early scoring will return and we will back top of the league in no time.

I feel though that rafa does need to be braver with the full backs, have both yedlin and lazaar providing the width, and we will really be able to stretch and dominate teams. Plus with shelvey back, we will be fine.

In rafa we trust

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:58 PM

andrew84. TOF. Is definitely a contrarian and possibly a wum. There are several posters who choose to take up contrary positions just for the sake of trying to put forward an opposing view.

It would be nice to think that people’s opinions were sincere and there are some who are genuinely concerned about Rafa’s selection policy and style of play. This is fine when backed up with a genuine argument as in the case of Posada as a lot of his points are valid.

Differing opinions are what makes blog’s tick and I think most of us know who the wums are.

• JamesToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Fans need to remember that regardless of whether we finish 1st or 2nd, we have so much more of a brighter future than brighton and a fair few premier league teams like watford, swansea, burnley, boro, hull etc.

We have a world class manager who’s been there and done that, we have the financial backing, the infrastructure, a good spine of young english players who will develop as the club develops under rafa. I think 80-90% of our fanbase do actually realise just how lucky we are to have rafa, and that we should enjoy it while he’s here.

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Seriously, this is getting silly. As a disabled fan myself, some of those expressing outrage are far from innocent themselves. I was compared to Andy, from Little Britain. Davros, from Dr Who and other digs – downright nasty – aimed directly at my disability. Not in fun, but because people losing a discussion were trying to hurt me. Unfortunately for them, it’s water off a ducks back. They know who they are and I’m not even going to embarrass them by naming them because what’s the point? Sticks and stones blah de blah. I bet there’s not a single poster on here who hasn’t made a derogatory remark about someone at some time in their life. It’s human nature. To deny it would be to call yourself a liar. Jib was out of order,but he said nothing worse than some of the things directed at me in the past. It was uncalled for and out of order, but let’s not get carried away. Cancel my mbembaship has a right to be upset, but I don’t recall others jumping in much when my disability was mocked. Ironically, some of those making the most noise were guilty parties. Let’s not turn the blog into a place where everybody takes offence at everything.
    Jib, I’m sure, will offer a genuine apology to Cancel if he’ll accept it. Some of the others need to look at themselves before leaping in. Over to you two really.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Can see a few changes for Saturday.

I believe that Atzu, Mbemba, Yedlin and Diame are off to the AFCON so won’t be available. Anyone confirm this.

• RUNAWAY777

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Mister tuff
    Well said keep the good work up bro

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Fair point well made Bobby.

• JAMSHA

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM

hope this mbemba leaving rumores are false,, always liked mbema, wouldnt mide if he leaves on loan as long he gets game time

• mad-serb

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:13 PM

LGFUAD21

All valid point and agree with most of them, but like you say Drummett is a weak link and seem Lazaar is another that Rafa either does not rate or not willing to experiment with.

The alternatives is 352 like you mentioned although I would prefer Richie in the center rather than Diame and he is very much hit or miss.

The alternative is to play Clark at LB and it makes us more balanced. But Rafa seems to rather have him in the center since him and Lascelles clicked. I just think we are more balanced when he would play there and we can be affective of both wings.

Maybe we have become a bit predictable with our current core and teams have picked up on their weakness. In the beginning it was a lot more difficult to know who teams will be facing but no once we have established our core teams or able to have their tactics established.

As for the players not playing I guess some players that are not in this core might have had a drop off in training as they know that they wont be given a chance to play. it always happen that when everyone is playing all are happy but once you settle into a selection and even when that selection is struggling on the pitch you are still not given an opportunity like earlier in the season then some players morale might be not where it needs to be and when given a limited opportunity does not perform due to the lack game time and confidence.

This happens at all clubs and it will be interesting to see how Rafa handles this after bringing these players here on the notion that all will be given an opportunity.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:22 PM

James, I’m pretty sure your estimate of 80-90% is on the low side. Rafa is undoubtedly the best manager we’ve had since the days of SIR. People whining about him and wanting him out, I would say ‘you go. We want Rafa more than we want you.’ I reach 60 this year and have yet to see us win a domestic trophy. Rafa is a confirmed winner and our best chance of success in decades. Nobody gets it right every game and I’m sure he knows when he’s got it wrong. Likewise people whining this team won’t finish above mid table in the PL. Wow!!! Such insight. But then, this side won’t be playing in the PL. This side was assembled with one purpose only – to get us promoted. There’ll be huge changes next summer. It’s proven how difficult it is to get promoted playing football the right way, so he assembled a team to play the way required. Half way there and we’re top. Wtf is there to whine about? Overall I’m happy to pay for my ST regardless, but this season it has definitely been value for money.

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:22 PM

EGB I doubt Yedlin is going to AFCON as he is a Yank. I do hope we get some new players in soon though

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Van Aanholt from Sunlun would be a good signing

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM

If Ellis Short sells Defoe it could precipitate a fire sale at the village of the damned

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM

I still think we might get Charlie Taylor from Leeds.

I agree Van Aanholt would be a good signing. He looked class when he had him on loan from Chelsea. I was sick when he went back.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:30 PM

MIF

Yeah of course he is, daft comment by me, for some reason I thought he was Moroccan.

I thought we had something like five off to the Afcon however. Be handy to know if there is a Rafa bingo this week.