Player Reveals Rafa’s Very Strong Ambitions For Newcastle

Mohamed Diame is off to play for Senegal at the Africa Cup of Nations and before he left he has been talking about the conversations he had with Rafa Benitez last summer before he signed on for a measly £4.5M from Premier League side Hull City.

It seems that Mo really likes it at Newcastle and he says he is happy at the club, which is always good to hear form our players.

Mo Diame of Newcastle

He has also revealed that Rafa told him he wants to build a promotion side this season and then do something very strong next season in the Premier League.

This is what Mo said as reported in the Chronicle:

“There is so much potential at Newcastle. We’ve got a big squad. I was talking with the manager when I signed.”

“When he called me before I came here he told me he wanted to build something to get promoted and build something for next season.”

“Not just to be fighting to stay in the Premier League – to do something very strong next season.”

“I am very happy to hear that. First we must get promoted as soon as possible and then we’ll see about next season but I am enjoying playing for Newcastle.”

“I know I made the right choice. I’m very happy at Newcastle – I just want to keep going and trying to make the fans happy.”

“Of course, I wish I could stay and help the team but I spoke with the manager Rafa Benitez about it.”

“It is my country, my family and I need to go and fight for Senegal in the Africa Cup of Nations.”

Those are good words from Mo who has not yet reached his very best form at Newcastle, but he has certainly shown glimpses of it – especially since November.

Mo has 5 goals in 23 appearances for Newcastle so far this season.

We’ll miss Mo while he’s away playing for Senegal, but when he gets back we hope to have two or three more players to boost the squad.

We then need to press on and reach the only goal we have for this season – to secure promotion back to the Premier League.

• jazzyp

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:07 AM

The lads been hit and miss for me.But good words to hear about the intentions for next season when we are big with the big boys

• jazzyp

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Back

• martoon

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:09 AM

reilly @1 – It is a good read but I’m not sure I agree with his logic that a few losses are good for us – it’s not doing any good for my heart 😀

• reilly

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM

its a blip thats all.Brighton will have theres.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Sakho from Palace anyone?

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Ravel Morrison has been allowed back to the UK by his club Lazio to train with Wigan.
    It was thought that the Lazio fans would take to him because they like their eccentric geniuses like Gascoigne and De Canio.
    His manager at Lazio said he is undoubted world class but also a little bit crazy.
    In the UK he has been on the books of Man U and West Ham but it looks like Italy doesn’t suit him.

Heres the thing.

Rafa has made enquiries about him !!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Even with Ravel being a bit of a mentalist he could probably still skin every team in the championship……

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    New name for Morrison
    The Mentalist
    😀

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Quote from insider at the mail

“Undeterred by Sunderland’s decision to knock back his initial offer, Bilic is poised to bid for Defoe again.
    West Ham face Manchester City in the FA Cup tomorrow night.
    And Bilic will hope he can get a deal for Defoe wrapped up before they return to top flight action against cross-city rivals Crystal Palace on Saturday January 14.”

• Moonraker15

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Reilly
    A good read that puts things into context. Brighton cannot continue to win every game and will surely have a blip! They must be thinking about last season! Also, surely Reading will not have a strong enough squad to last the pace.
    We have lost most of the seven by the odd goal so with a bit of luck and without the Forest “robbery” we would be top anyway.
    The bookies still have us odds on to win the championship and they don’t usually get it wrong so all in all we have to be positive !

• SPRINGY

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM

morrison has talent but like HBA,he also has baggage…dont know if he is still acting like a loony but he is a talented kid….that is the problem tho… he acts like a kid.

• SPRINGY

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM

blips happen in football and we are having one but my main worry is the strength of mind,resolve to get a result or even a performance when we need it….soemone put a stat up the other day,not sure how true it is as i have’nt looked into it but it was when we have conceeded first we have not won or even been beaten this season,that is a worrying stat if correct.

• SPRINGY

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:27 AM

that would imply that under pressure we do not perform well,and that would look justified with the home performances as well,and as the season kicks on and games become more and more important and pressurised i wonder if we may start falling away…just a worry but hope im wrong and we go on a run of games from now till the end of the season with only the odd hick up now and again.

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Get Brady and Morrisons in

• Toonfan8

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Yeah, he wants to get rid of Mitro and he wants much bigger troublemaker.. i cant see a point there

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM

The same ref as for our QF EFL cup exit vs Hull

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Jib

I’m surprised to see that you’re still posting and haven’t been banned from the blog after your “mongoloid” comment yesterday.

There’s one thing for sure and that you and your troublesome ilk are ruining what was once a great forum.

Why not just go away and take your other names with you?

You’d be missed – just like a boil when it goes away.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM

lesh – I’ll be contacting Ed later today.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Jib………. Why not just apologise? I’m sure you didn’t mean to cause offence to everyone but I think you have done.

It ‘s a bit hypocritical when you call me a cretin for having the craic with Welshie and then use a word that upsets so many.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM

It’s rather ironic that Sunlun supporters think it’s funny to call SJP “Sid James Park” as the comedian suffered a heart attack and diedon stage at the Sunderland Empire.
    Several famous names have refused to appear there having claimed to have seen his ghost.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Betty

Sorry to all those who were or have been genuinely offended .

Offense of innocent parties was not my intention.

Mr Tuff got under my skin (which was his sole intention) and I reacted thoughtlessly.
    Really I should feel complimented that the goon is only trying to bask in my patently superior knowledge.

I deliberately used the phrase “genuinely offended ” as feigned outrage is a common blog device to cause trouble.

Again – if offense was really caused I apologise – that was not my intention.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Betty – too late for an apology now. He should have done that yesterday and shown a bit of remorse. Not only did he act as if nothing happened (as he’s continuing to do today it seems (babbling on about Sid James?)) but he then went on to make the cockroach comment mocking what I’d said about my sister. We’re past offering an apology now, and he’d only do that stupid ‘apoppo loggy’ (or whatever it is) thing as an insincere way of getting out of it.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Jib – I would have accepted that if you hadn’t followed it up with your cockroach comment, but nice try to wriggle out of it now.