This Player Could Be An Alternate Striker Target

Newcastle have lost interest in Brentford striker Scott Hogan because his club are asking a ridiculous fee of 15M, which is a lot of money for somebody who has never played at the highest levels in England and is therefore unproven and would be a big risk.

It seems Newcastle’s number one striker target is Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson and he’s looked a good player with speed  when we have watched him play  including on Tuesday night when Bournemouth got a 3-3 draw at home to Arsenal.

But they were 3-0 up after 70 minutes and allowed the Gunners to come back to equalize in stoppage time – Callum scored from a penalty in the game adn looked very fast with good skills.

Sebastien Haller in French colors

We could be wrong, but we just cannot see Newcastle being able to persuade Callum to join us this month – but maybe in the summer.

So we wonder if Rafa Benitez will go after a player he wanted last summer – 22 year-old Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller – who plays for Utrecht in the Dutch League.

He’s having a very good season in the Eredivisie having scored 9 goals and had four assists in 17 league games for his club.

In all competitions this season he has 10 goals in 19 appearances and he’s been in good form.

Haller stands 6ft 2ins tall and he’s played for all of the French Youth sides including 20 appearances for the U-21 side with 13 goals.

He joined Utrecht permanently in the summer of 2015 from Auxerre after first being on loan at the club for the second half of the previous season.

He scored 24 goals in 40 appearances last season and in 78 total appearances for his Dutch club he has now scored 45 goals with 15 assists.

Rafa was reported to have spoken to the player in August in an attempt to get him to sign for us and maybe he could again be a target for Newcastle this month – especially if we cannot get Callum Wilson.

What do you think?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM

What’s happened to Bas Dost? 🙂

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM

He’s been linked before, can’t see it

• Mitro's on Fire

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Has Ed got a Charlie Austin article ready?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM

I’m with all of those who’d like to see some of our younger players thrown into the fray.

Especially now that the master reserve team’s coach has been working his magic on them.

• booboo

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM

mbemba is the best cb we got period he is better than our captain and clark. selling him will be a huge mistake i really dont get why he is not a starter he can play on the floor a modern cb he got a lotta ability. in his game !! i bet if he was english he would have been the captain instead. i hope is not true. and i really think some players has not had a fair chance that they do deserve and expecially mbemba deserve more with his perfomances from last year he was our best player that season and i think some fans forget that. and by the way if we do need a new striker then i hope he is diffrent from mitro,murphy for haller aint. or else i dont think its makes no sense .

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Rotonda

Yeah you can see why TOF thinks he’s cr*p. 😉

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM

There’s definitely something going on between NUFC and Montpellier – the other day we were linked with their midfielder Ryad Boudebouz.

We are now being linked with another Montpellier midfielder – Morgan Sanson

• Rotonda heights

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM

sadly i’m not as sold on mbemba. Quick yes, but quite error prone and not really a natural footballing CB like a woodgate. DM could be his best position.

• booboo

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:22 PM

there aint many cbs u can compare to woodgate he was the best i saw it might be a bit over the top comparing him and and mbemba or any cbs we had since with him but fair game some just dont regard him good enough for us …

• Rotonda heights

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM

essex

lol !

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Rotonda

Maybe ToF would say that Rafa’s won a couple of Mickey Mouse trophies and they were flashes in the Le Creuset!

Rafa’s got quite a cv though and it’s astonishing that some are deriding him.

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Haggling over a few quid’s cost the club dear.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:45 PM

There are good players at lesser clubs, with far less potential to succeed and earn more money than were they to come and join the Rafalution.

He has sold the club to several players already and I’m sure he’ll have more surprises for us.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Can’t see us signing Callum Wilson

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Isn’t Charlie Austin available?

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM

We’ll be home and dry once we get Sammy back.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:52 PM

And Vuckic

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM

I believe as was suggested earlier that some of the younger players in the reserve team should be given a chance. What is the point of having a reserve or youth squad if none of them ever break through to the first team.

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:59 PM

The problem with bringing young players through is that Rafa said at the start of the season it would be unfair to expect young lads to get us promoted. He made it perfectly clear that he would rely totally on experience this season. Whether we agree or disagree, that’s how he intends to play it. I’m unhappy with Arma being stuck at Barnsley, who have no intention of playing him regularly because their long high ball tactics are working. I understand their policy and they’re doing the right thing because their two big strikers are working well,but this has been a shocking waste of six months of his career, when he needs to be playing. It truly is bordering on neglect and he needs to move. Either come back as cover, or send him somewhere where they play football on the ground. I’d sooner he went back to Coventry than waste his time at Barnsley. I’m in no way, shape or form blaming Barnsley for this because their tactics are working for them, so why would they change to suit a loan player? This is entirely our mistake and it needs rectifying in January.

• hibbit

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM

from sky sports
    Striker Adam Armstrong has extended his loan spell from Newcastle to Barnsley until the end of the season.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM

You win nowt with kids
    😀

• hibbit

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM

i think that’s very disappointing news Bobby think its the wrong club for the lad the way there going he wont get many starts
    if he’s going to sit on the bench it should be our bench
    just seems like a pointless loan

• Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Rotunda, completely agree re Mbemba and have said same for a while. Without pace he would be poor, and that’s never a good sign. Better that Mbima though – but in fairness you blamed Pardew for him, instead of the Chief French Wine Drinking Scout!

• Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM

Hibbitt, I’ve said that Arma will not feature at Newcastle since Rafa arrived, and I see no reason to change this. Hope I am wrong. I still cant believe that this tactical manager didn’t try 442 when at home and played 2 defensive midfielders. Yes, rafa knows what he’s doing in his own mind , but I’m not seeing any flexibility? I still believe Mitro has something to offer but if he cant play two up top with two wingers when we are short a midfielder, then we will never see it. He spoke about possession meaning little in modern football, but we had all the possession v Blackburn but little real threat. In fact, we shouldn’t even have to invest this January – we have spent quite enough and have two players for every position, some with real pedigree in the championship. I think one big issue Rafa has, is that he may have wanted a bigger more mobile striker in the summer and didn’t get him. In other words, a bigger Gayle would be perfect for Rafa in a 4231.

• Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Lesh is there a difference in your mind between asking questions re Rafa , and deriding him ?

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Hibbett, that effing Disgraceful. What the he’ll is he going to learn there? As much as I love Rafa that’s a black mark against his name in my books. It’s not just me either. The England set up rate him so highly they had a full page spread on him in one of the programmes recently, saying he’s a nailed on star of the future. These are important years in his development and Barnsley isn’t working for him. Unless Barnsley change their tactics – and why should they – what’s the point? I understand he’s been injured, but long ball football doesn’t suit Gayle either, nor did it suit Owen. Rafa rates him highly from his previous comments, but unless he’s had some guarantees from Barnsley, why leave him there?, why do Barnsley even want him, other than if they lose one of their big strikers? Strange decision and one I ain’t happy about.

• lesh

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Munster

I’m sure if Rafa was around to do so, he’d answer questions and take constructive criticism.

But and you can’t deny it that there are some who post on here who seem hell bent on having a go at him and questioning his obvious talents and credentials – some to the extent of wanting rid of him. If they’re NUFC supporters, then they have a strange way of showing it!

• bettyswallocks

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM

I don’t see what Perez brings to the team that Arma couldn’t improve upon.

• Jib

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Munster Mag
    We had 80% possession vs Blackburn
    12 shots 5 on target
    They had 2 shots 1 on target
    We also had
    The ball in the net twice
    Two good penalty shouts ignored
    The most laughable thing was the ref ignored 3 handballs for them indicating unintentional yet disallowed one of our goals for the slight unintentional brush of Clark’s hand against the ball.
    The refereeing in this league is so frustrating in it’s inconsistency.

• hibbit

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Munster Mag @25

you could be right but there a big difference not playing at your home club than not playing at the loan club if they wont play him the loans pointless

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Hibbett, bang on mate. Very disappointing. Barnsley use two big strikers and to be fair to them, it’s working. Only I juries will alter the way they play. Arma plays like Gayle, on the shoulder of the defence and I’ve watched him at Barnsley. He makes the killer runs still, but nobody sees them or chooses the long ball instead. He must be so frustrated to learn he’s stuck there again. Total waste of talent. He can do everything Gayle can do, but with better finishing. He hasn’t got Gayle’s experience yet, but he won’t get that watching balls sailing over his head. Truly, I’m gobsmacked at this decision and can’t think of one positive thing that can come from it, unless Barnsley suffer serious injury problems and I wouldn’t wish that on them for any reason. He is, by everybody within the club, regarded as the best player to emerge from the academy since Gazza. What a shocking thing to do to the kid.

• hibbit

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:41 PM

jib
    The refereeing in this league is consistent
    consistently poor

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM

We play more of a 442 when Perez is in the side, it just works a lot better with Mitro up top. But Gayle is banging them in, and of course is also the more mature player.

……….Shelvey…..Colback…
    Ritchie………………………Gouffran…
    …………….Perez…….
    ………………..Mitro…

If Mitro were less of a knucklehead this could easily be the way we usually set up, and to great effect. But unfortunately, for him, and probably Perez, and us, he is something of a knucklehead and Gayle who isn’t, is preferred in his place, and Gayle and Perez simply doesn’t work as well, thus Diame is often preferred in a more obvious 4231.

• Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:05 PM

Bobby , are you not talking to me any more? Do I have to go over there and take a kicking from you to get some conversation going you baulix? Happy New Year nufc brother. Please forgive me for being more critical of Rafa than many others – at least I have based my thoughts on fair arguments ( fair to my mind anyway ) and for some time aswell. I just think we could be getting more out of this expensive team – for example Yedlin should be a permanent right back – but Rafa is too defensive / cautious / controlling / a lot of the time – he needs to rip into these teams more but it wont happen.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Munster…If you accept that under Rafa it isn’t going to happen, what is it you suggest we do?

I think people get frustrated as it seems to logically lead to replacing him as manager, which I would have thought you’d agree wouldn’t be a great idea. Who would replace him?

Remember how tiring you found the Pardew bashing? We get it, Rafa is a defensive manager.

For balance, I do get what you have been saying about some fans being unwilling to discuss the weaknesses of Rafa (everyone has them after all), but do you not think you should soften your approach too?

At the very least Rafa has earned the right to be trusted, as far as long term results are concerned.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Anita has had some great games at right back, and is a reliable, neat and accomplished player. It’s the other side where we might have been more adventurous I think, although Lazaar is seemingly not the player they thought they had bought, and Haidarra and Gamez have been injured. I’d happily see Haidarra given his chance now on the left, if they don’t trust Lazaar, with Anita and Yedlin continuing to duke it out on the right.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Sterry played a few times last season and did ok, I can’t see any reason for not giving some of the reserves a run out.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see wholesale changes for the Birmingham game,

Can’t help thinking that promotion is going to be prioritised.

• Bobbybee

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Munster, ye nutter. Why would I not talk yo you? 🙂 I think there’s plenty room for Arma in a Rafa set up. He plays Gayle, who’s like Arma in any ways, just more experienced just now. If Arma gets the chances Gayle gets he’ll finish more because he’s a natural. I expect Arma to feature more when we go up, but Rafa was adamant about relying on experience to get us promoted. I think Perez is another better suited to the PL than the Championship, along with Mbemba. Arma’s record for scoring is second to none, but he’ll struggle at Barnsley because they play to their own strikers strengths. They’ll be there when Arma moves back so you can understand it. Frankly I feel that leaving him there, when there’s a list of clubs begging to take him is neglecting his future, but sadly typical of Newcastle and youth players.
    I’m open to criticism of Rafa – as I showed the other day when I expressed an opinion that was against his tactics – but I still rate him as the best we’re likely to get for the foreseeable future. Nobody can possibly agree on everything he does unless they’re sycophants. We all have differing opinions, but overall I’m happy with him and what he’s done with the club. I’d like to see 442 used at home myself, but accept he does it his way. Being top it’s difficult to argue against really.

• optimistic prime

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:38 PM

I understand the Rafa questions, at times I find myself wondering why he isn’t playing a certain player or changing the formation. I thought with Shelvey out Diami would have dropped back and either Murphy Perez or Mitro would play up top. Shows what I know. I do know we have a pedigree manager and some pedigree chumps as fans, it would be stupid not to ask questions however if you’re doubting Rafas ability you need Help! PS. If you think I’m calling you a chump, you though it not me.