In what was a fairly short press conference this afternoon, Rafa gave updates on the squad and it looks like some of our fringe players will be given an outing at Birmingham City tomorrow in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.
Rafa also addressed some rumors and said that he has no intention of selling Aleksandar Mitrovic and that the 22 year-old Serbian International would start tomorrow at St. Andrews.
Rafa Benitez meets the press
And interestingly Rafa again said that it was a tough transfer market and that Newcastle had already missed out on some of our transfer targets.
That’s not good news.
This is some of what Rafa said today:
“We maybe need a couple of additions to balance the squad and help the team, but we have done well with what we have”
“It’s not easy.” “Some targets we have lost.” “We have names and we have to wait.”
“There is a lot of speculation about Mitrovic – we are not interested in selling him.”
It’s interesting as to which targets we have missed out on – and whether they include either Tom Cleverley, Ruben Loftus-Cheek or Fabian Delph.
There was news a couple of days ago that Brighton & Hove Albion had beaten Newcastle to the loan signing of Chelsea’s Loftus-Cheek, so we hope that’s not true.
We are also after Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson but we have pulled out of the race for Brentford striker Scott Hogan because he’s way overpriced at £15M.
It also seems difficult for Newcastle to sign one or two players before we play at Brentford a week on Monday – our next league game – but we’ll keep our fingers crossed.