Yet Another Newcastle Transfer Target Not For Sale

Tuesday has not been a good day for Newcastle in the transfer market, as a number of our transfer targets have become not available for one reason or another.

20 year-old Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek is staying put at Chelsea as manager Antonio Conte has said he is close to the first team and Conte wants him to fight for his place in the side.

The transfer fee put on Fulham central midfielder Tom Cairney was a massive £20M, so Newcastle have wisely walked away from that deal and Everton’s midfielder Tom Cleverly is available for sale onl this monthy, but Newcastle only want him on loan.

Ben Osborn – not available from Forest

And now there is news in the Nottingham Post that Nottingham Forest have told Newcastle that midfielder Ben Osborn is not for sale during this January transfer window.

The youngster has been linked with a move to Newcastle for around £5M, but it seems that will not happen now – assuming the Post is accurate in its reporting.

The club may not want to sell Osborn because there’s news today that promotion rivals Aston Villa are close to signing Forest central midfielder Henri Lansbury, but Rafa Benitez is not interested in this player.

Henri is the player who seems to have a prosperous Hollywood acting career waiting for him after he has finished with football – as we witnessed in his excellent acting performance at the City Ground in early December in the 2-1 loss.

It seems Forest are willing to lose Lansbury in January,  because he becomes a free agent in the summer, but they are unwilling to let their other midfielder – Ben Osborn –  leave in the same window.

That’s a pity because we think Ben is a good up-and-coming player who would do well under Rafa Benitez.

But Newcastle must somehow bring in a good central midfielder in January who can fill in for Jonjo Shelvey.

We seem to have nobody who can do that in the current squad, having lost two of our four games since Jonjo has been out suspended and we have drawn another one.

What do you think?

• manxpie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:13 PM

January 10, 2017

Pearson would have actually killed some of that squad tbh (allegedly just in case) he’s bloody mental

• manxpie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:18 PM

Lilo i don’t either but purposely being called it opened up all the questions before he had even started it was ridiculous and put a stamp on him not being involved in transfers

i think I’ve asked you before but ways ya take on will Hughes?
    And that was before a ball had been kicked

• manxpie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:18 PM

Ways=wats

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:32 PM

Manx,
    They do say it’s always the quiet ones…. He wasn’t quiet mind, just dull and monotone with little to say worth listening to…..

Will Hughes? Not seen much of him since his ligament damage and 8 months out. I liked him prior to that, he was a talented youngster that had a lot of potential, and he seemed to be grounded enough to work hard to fulfil it.

8 months out is a huge knock to his development though. Derby struggled initially, but for a youngster rated as highly as he was, his return this season isn’t great.

He’s just 21 mind, and has a lot of experience at this level, with potential and ability to develop into a Prem player. I’d certainly prefer him to Tom Ince, but 2 years ago Derby were looking at £15million+ for Hughes. At the minute I would say somewhere around £7-8million is about market value. Can’t see Derby letting him go at that price unless his contract is coming to an end.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:33 PM

Lil, I think the problem of finding space or creating space in the withdrawn striker position, hole, attacking central mid, whatever you prefer, is more difficult for us because teams really do just drop back and defend in numbers against us. Diame doesn’t even try operate in it, more raids into it and Perez does. That was the point I was making about the role strictly pertaining to us, this season, and the problems confronting Perez.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM

Plus, with Derby much improved under McClaren, I can’t see them letting Hughes go in Jan as promotion is still very much in their sights.

• mad-serb

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:38 PM

anyone seeing the torres rumours? That’s a bit far fetch right?

• manxpie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM

Supposedly only 18 months left and for me the best young player in this league
    I’d pay double tbh he’s due a big team and I hope it’s with us he’s come back with no problems and just looks a player to me

I just hope he isn’t of the breed to fusk up his career being the token English player for a rich club

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:48 PM

Steak,
    Yeah, teams sit deep against us which makes that role difficult. Ben Arfa has the talent to unlock it, but his self interest and lack of team play would lead make us as one dimensional because teammates would stop making runs knowing that the likelihood of being played in is reduced. Diame isn’t a no.10. He is a more physical option to take a load off Gayle, and to strengthen the midfield, offering a strong runner that can drive forward when the second ball comes his way. It hasn’t worked all that well, but there have been moments you can see the theory behind it.

As for Perez, I think he is overrated, and has been for all but the first few months of his time here. He has potential, but what position? He isn’t a lone striker, he isn’t a no.10, he isn’t a wide player. He has some attributes that suit each role, but nothing that makes him stand out in any.

Back to the no.10 talk; Bearing in mind the difficulty of playing that role due to how the opposition set up, why continue to play a formation that requires that role knowing that teams will be compact and limit space?

I think if Benitez was willing to change style and formation we would cruise this league. We have the best manager, best first 11, best squad, best ground etc. That we aren’t is down to how Benitez sets us up and how he develops our squad to play.

This sounds like a criticism of Rafa, it isn’t. I think Rafa knows that what we have takes us up, regardless of style. However, if he opened us up this season, then he would have to restructure and re develop a style for next season when we are a small to mid sized fish. As it is, we will go up with our current style, and will be much better prepared for next season when we have to be more defensive.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM

Hughes, quality player with massive potential in my opinion. Don’t think we can get him now but in the summer there is a great possibility. His contract runs out next year and there were talks of him rejecting to negotiate s new deal at Derby. Seems he is on his way.

Cairney is another really good player but £20 million, no thanks. I do think he can make the step up to the premier league and just because nobody has gambled on him yet doesn’t mean he is a poor player or can’t make the step up.

Ince is a player I quite like and I do think he wasn’t given a proper chance at the clubs he’s been at in the premier league. But what I’d do with that £8 million is add another say £4-7 million and go to Chelsea and say here you go and we’ll take Charly Musonda and Kasey Palmer with us.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM

Manx,
    If he was the sort to mess his career up by sitting on a big clubs bench, I think he would have kicked up more of a fuss a couple of years ago when Liverpool were heavily linked.

Big potential, but for double £7/8million I think that you could push for better options. If we are spending that, I’d prefer us to really test Conte’s resolve on Loftus Cheek.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:57 PM

Yeah, I would agree. I think perhaps Rafa has in the Shelvey Gayle combination something that is a straight up banker at this level and so the 10 role for us is almost one of just mainly creating space for Gayle to exploit, or Diame driving into it with the ball at his feet, or running into it to be a presence when the ball is swung in for wide positions. Rafa has the second half of the season to find better solutions, although to be honest when both Gayle and Shelvey are playing there isn’t much at all that does need fixing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Steak,
    I’d say there is still a need for an alternative game plan, even with Gayle and Shelvey available. But so far it has worked most games, and there isn’t a huge need to make major changes this season. A banker at this level, good enough to step up? Far from convinced, but the more defensive side of our play should be well drilled, and clean sheets will keep us up.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM

I agree with the view that Benitez is laying down the foundations for how he wants us or expects us to play next season although I feel he has been quite stubborn recently in his refusal to play a big man up front when needed or even just another strike partner alongside him.

• manxpie

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Who tho lilo?
    He has played in the English league at a decent level done his apprentiship, I’d rather spend on him then spunk 24 mill on 2 lightweight french wingers

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Yeah, I have reservations about them in the epl, but it’s understandable that Rafa is relying so heavily on them now, although as we’ve seen over the last 4 games that can be problematic. But even so, still very probably our best bet, and the percentage play. It seems Rafa has thought so.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:20 AM

Manx,
    I wanted Loftus Cheek in the summer. Still do, and I’d test the resolve of Conte for him if we are spending upwards of £15million. I’d probably also prefer to test the waters for Serg Samper of Barca, on loan at Granada. Or Rabiot, although I’d imagine that would be the most difficult/least likely of the three to persuade to join the Rafalution. We should have pushed for him as part of the Cabaye deal….

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:23 AM

I have to say, looking at what we have in our squad we don’t have much else to play with regarding game plans. We don’t have the wingers to play wide, we don’t have the full backs to bomb forward and provide the width (well other than yedlin but haidara looks to be fit again) and we don’t have the midfielders to run beyond the striker. For a while, we have lacked the players with intelligence to play fluidly too so we can be quite predictable. I do however notice some positive signs about this and it is certainly something that seems to have been worked on.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:24 AM

Manx,
    Granted, all 3 would be very difficult to bring in at this stage, but I’d prefer all to Hughes. Whilst I agree Hughes has/had potential, not for more than £10million….

• Blofal

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:37 AM

It’s good to see some rational conversation on here for a change!

Everybody agrees that our targets are overpriced. And everybody is seriously struggling to find the types of players we need that are attainable.

I’m hoping that Rafa pulls something out of nowhere from his network.

It’s a real pity about Thauvin. He’s technically our player and the best winger in France at the moment. If we could get him back and he was happy to come it would be ideal.

Another one is De Jong. If the poor guy could stay fit he is exactly what we need right now.

There’s what we need right there. A proper number 10 and a winger. And we actually own them! But we can’t have either of them. Talk about irony.

• SPRINGY

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:51 AM

blofal
    thauvin never really had a good chance to prove himself imo…but by the same token,im not convinced his heart was ever in it,u see how he’s playing now,a happy is a good,if they have the talent….SDJ…. i think the injury he got before we signed him,took the best out of him,he’s never really recovered and has broke down again in holland,its a shame coz these 2 on form,confident and fit would be ideal…just they have’nt worked…..ince has been mentioned but he’s had a few goals and half decent games of late but he’s not the player we should be looking at…rather keep the money for the summer if im honest.

• SPRINGY

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:53 AM

a happy player is a good player,if they have talent…….seems i forgot the word player in my last comment…..twice!!…strange.

• Blofal

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:59 AM

Springy I completely agree. If Thauvin was happy here we could bring him back but he would likely go on strike if he did. Which I wouldn’t half blame him given the way the media and some fans treated him after he was dragged across the channel against his will.

I honestly don’t know who we can get that will make a difference. I actually think we won’t be able to sign anyone to be honest. I hope I’m wrong!

• DubaiMicky

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:15 AM

Now that Everton have agreed a deal with manure for Schneiderlin, surely that should allow us to buy Cleverley.

• sparky55

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:46 AM

Not bothered if we do no business in this window to be honest…the squad we have should be good enough and I think there is a general over-reaction to our current position simply because we’ve recently lost 4.

Yes Shelvey’s an important cog in the wheel but he’s only got one game to go and I think we’ll thump Brentford without him anyway.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM

Average from last post

Bit harsh to say ince couldnt hack it in the prem. he was given 3 appaerances and 2 were subs.

He was brought in eith the expectation of hull going into europa league. They lost their qualifier though so he was deemed excess.

I think ince would be a decent buy. Hes got a consistent record over 3 seasons of scoring and assisting. He knows where the goal is and can play either flank or behind a strker.

Just like michail antonio i reckon he could make the step up.

• catchy in norway

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:35 AM

TOM CLEVERLY WILL END UP AT NEWCASTLE

• Average_Contents

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:37 AM

LGF

Not really harsh when he couldn’t even get in a poor hull team as those stats you posted prove.

And surely if he was brought in to compete in Europe then his ability to make an impact in the prem should of been higher.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:49 AM

Problem with Newcastle atm is the lack of creativity,we all know this,and we all know we need a young playmaker to battle against Shelvey for tip spot as we know that his role is extremely important to our style and it’s what makes all of our area important during game play, our wingers work with Shelvey on the pitch so it’s obvious we need a playmaker.

Cleverly or Tielsman fits the build I’m on?

• NezzaNUFC