Newcastle Fans React To Disappointing News On Cleverley

Newcastle fans took to Twitter this morning as the news that Tom Cleverley is having a medical today at Watford with a view to signing a loan deal through the end of the season with an option for the Herefordshire club to sign him on a permanent deal in the summer.

Tom Cleverley – he’s a decent midfielder but not great.

• AncientC

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM

‘And please refrain from the “we could do better anyway”. On Colbacks form, Cleverley is a major improvement. 13 England caps’.

Referring people to “current form” in regards to Colback, then mentioning ‘past form’ in reference to Cleverley. Logical argument right there.

• G

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM

What dissapointing news on Cleverely? He’s signing for Watford isn’t he?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I hate transfer windows we get linked to about a million players who we were probably never in for in the first place and when they sign for someone else its all “Newcastle miss out on player shocker…..”

• Ron Knee

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM

“Dimitri Payet refusing to play for West Ham”

We think we’ve got problems!

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Steak
    From previous
    Why do u think Rafa isnt looking at 3+ years of building to get us to challenging for top 6? He wanted a project he could build which is why he approached Ashley, he also wanted a passionate fanbase and a club he could see a future in

Last season we were miles away from top 6 so much so we were relegated, aye we shouldnt of been if we had a better manager but we werent much better (certainly no where near top 8) and the financial drop we took due to relegation cant be ignored if we dont go up this season we are in deep sh*t and we cant become a yo-yo club

Id be amazed if survival isnt the target

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Am not too fussed by Cleverly going elsewhere Id far prefer Delph or McCarthy but my hope for someone coming in early in the window is dwindling

• G

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM

@5, assuming we attain Prem status next season, then survival should indeed be the target for next year, however, following that I would expect our ambitions to be much greater than that. Anything better would be a welcome bonus next year, but we need to build again.

• expatmag

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM

WWS

Last thread regarding improving the squad

A decent right back….Trippier to battle Yedlin
    A dominant centre half…..Smalling from Man Utd may no long be required. Add Shaw into the mix at left back.
    A quality central midfielder…Hughes from Derby
    A decent winger…..Tadic from Southampton or Forrest from Celtic
    Quality CF….Wilson to replace Mitrovic

So….out goes Krul Sels Haidara Dummett Saviet Dejong Riviere Ameobi Vuckic Mitrovic Thauvin

In……Trippier Smalling Shaw Hughes Tadic Wilson Forrest

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM

We shouldn’t have been miles away from the top 8 with the money spent. This group with its greater depth and balance will have a similar net worth. It will need reshaping and an injection of quality that I think the club will have the money to accomplish. Lets revisit this conversation at the beginning of next season should we go up.

• Legolas

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Ancient C,

I agree. I am not to bothered we have missed out on Cleverley. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t there a petition a few years back where thousands of fans signed to say they didn’t want him to play for England. It was harsh but I pleased he isn’t coming.

• AncientC

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Legolas, I wouldn’t be surprised if Colback’s call up for England was more recent than Cleverley’s. I didn’t watch England much after Hodgson became boss, so cannot verify if that is true or not.

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:58 AM

expat
    U reckon 3 current England internationals will join a Championship or newly promoted Newcastle? We couldnt afford their wages for starters mate. I think with those names ur aiming above what we will be capable of right now or tbh in the summer

Ive no doubt we will do business but if thats what ur expecting I think u will be disappointed in the business we do

• anthc

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Bullet dodged imo.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Not top 6. Top 6 will be a tall order no matter how long he stays. But top 8 is entirely achievable for us, we are a top 8 club, even in our first year back, assuming we do go back at the first attempt, if we don’t then I’d agree with you.

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Steak
    Haha we will go up but aye am up for revisiting it in the summer

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM

The only thing top 8 about our club currently is Rafa

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Ha! yeah ok, whoever is more correct can remind the other of it when the time comes, but I warn you, I’m always right………except for the times I’m wrong of course.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM

The only thing not top eight is our league position. “Club” is a different thing.

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Haha dont worry am often wrong but luckily I have a crap memory so I just forget when I am

• expatmag

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM

WWSBRD

Who are the current 3 England internationals on the list mate? I see only 1 in Smalling.

Granted…his wages would be high but we are hardly the small club people take us for.

Furthermore Hughes Forrest Tadic Wilson and Trippier woukd hardly be on anywhere near top whack at their curent clubs.

• expatmag

Forrest Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Anita Colback Hughes Tadic Diame Gouffean

Wilson Gayle Murphy Perez Armstrong

WWSBRD…….8th place squad next season in my opinion

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM

expat
    Smalling and Shaw are (injury permitting which is rare) always in the England squad as is Trippier isnt he? (I might be wrong on him tbh I just cant think of another English RB than Walker)

Smalling is probably near enough 6 figures a week (which he’d probably want an increase to join NUFC) and Shaw is near enough 6 figures as well (again would want a increase) both above the wage cap Ashley insists on. All the others would be looking for good wages to come here and they’d likely have settled PL club admirers

We might get some, Wilson certainly seems possible and Hughes at the end of the season but Southampton dont sell cheap and neither do Spurs

I dont know anything about Forrest so hes a ‘if u say so’ player to me

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM

But hey I might be wrong I certainly wouldnt be against getting those players but I dont think we are likely to do so

• Toon Tang

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Where is this disappointing news you speak of Ed?

• The Vicar

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:08 PM

My South Lancashire correspondents tell me Cleverly is a lazy so-and-so. Let’s get someone on the way up, not on the way down.