It doesn’t look like there’s much going on early today on the transfer front at Newcastle and little hope of getting a new player in before tomorrow’s game at Griffin Park.
Rafa Benitez had mentioned earlier this week that he would talk to Managing Director Lee Charnley about things and that there was a possibility we could have some good news and get somebody in by Saturday.
Tom Cleverley – joined Watford on loan
But since then we’ve missed out on Tom Cleverley who went on loan to Watford yesterday and Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who will be staying at Chelsea and fighting for his first team place at the London club.
We have been linked with former target Tom Ince of Derby County, but there’s little hope that Steve McClaren would sell one of his best in-form players to a promotion rival this month.
He’s not that daft.
We are still said to be interested in Fulham’s Tom Cairney, but the news yesterday was that Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce is also keen on getting his former Hull City player to Villa Park and Steve has around £25M to spend this January on new players.
Newcastle are still after 24 year-old Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson, but we would have to bid a record £20M for him and that seems high.
Maybe Newcastle will wait for the summer to try to get Callum to Newcastle when hopefully we are a Premier League club again.
But we really need a playmaker and a striker brought in this month with Newcastle sadly missing Jonjo Shelvey over the last four games with only one win to our credit.
Maybe we can still get Fabian Delph in on loan from Manchester City?
Shelvey could be back in the side against Birmingham City in the 3rd round FA Cup replay on Wednesday night, but now we have to make sure he stays fit and doesn’t get any more suspensions this season.
As we said, things seem to be very quiet on the transfer front today.