Dwight Gayle Reveals Something Disturbing About His Injury

Dwight Gayle looked very good in the first 28 minutes yesterday before he had to go off with a hamstring injury and unfortunately it’s an injury he had last season – so it could be a chronic injury for the player if it’s not handled correctly.

That’s not good.

Dwight looked really dangerous in that first half hour and his first goal was a joy to watch and there’s not many players who take the ball on the left wing just inside their half and the ball end up in the back of the net – another opportunity goal for this tremendous signing by Rafa Benitez.

That’s 20 goals in just 23 games for the striker and there’s no doubt we will miss this player although the food news is that Jonjo Shelvey should be back on Wednesday night against Birmingham in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Dwight Gayle after scoring first goal yesterday

But we also lost Isaac Hayden and Vurnon Anita to injury so central midfield looks a little threadbare and it’s a good time for Jonjo to be coming back into the side.

Dwight was upbeat after the game as Newcastle has somehow managed to survive the onslaught of Brentford in that second half.

Gayle had this to say after the game as reported in the Chronicle:

“It was a hamstring injury.” “I had it last season as well.” “Fingers crossed it’s not too bad, but we won’t know the full extent of it for a few days.”

“We’ll see how it goes.”  “Obviously it was frustrating to come off, but the three points was the most important thing,”

“I was buzzing that the boys ground three points out.” “There was a real buzz in the changing room.”

“We knew what their team was about. We were playing on the counter attack, and I thought it worked really well.”

“I was frustrated to come off in a game where it was perfectly made for myself.”

Daryl Murphy came on for Dwight and scored what was a vital goal for us with a header after 79 minutes.

And then we held onto the lead  – just – through the 9 minutes of stoppage time to win the game.

It was a monumental 3 points for us with both Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading losing in this round of games.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Brentford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Wwsbrd
    That’s what I said in my original post.

• WWSBRD

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM

ronaldo
    Yeah am just a little lost about the uproar or is it just because people fell for the Ashley’s staying away from the club trick again?

• Ron Knee

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Moonraker

It would be 47 points to equal CH’s total.

• G

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM

I don’t think I have ever seen a Sunday tabloid sports story come true, and I am a bit baffled over all the uproar. We all know Rafa can walk away at any point that his assurances aren’t met, so if he is still our coach tomorrow we know these stories are complete horsep/$$.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Rafa’s still with us, he hasn’t even hinted at leaving.

There’s been no obvious block put on incoming transfers only some spurious paper talk.

We’re top of the league and looking well set for promotion, Is there a problem with all of this, I don’t see any.

• WWSBRD

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:15 PM

G
    What assurances haven’t been met? We don’t know what was agreed so why would Rafa leave because of these stories? He may of agreed to go with the transfer strategy of the club in the beginning

• lesh

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:20 PM

As someone said earlier, The Chronic’s part of the Trinity Mirror Group and instinct tells me that there have been discussions involving Ashley. I don’t expect Ashley to have changed his views about preferring to buy younger players, but even he’s not daft enough to rock the boat and risk missing out on promotion. Furthermore, Ashley’s got enough grief with SD to risk more media attention.

This speculation will no doubt help sales on the Chron, Mirror and People but it’ll die away as Rafa takes us up.

• Bobbybee

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Right, having just read the so called article what I find interesting is the lack of named sources. Or quotes. Or, in fact, anything confirming that a meeting even took place or what it was about. In reality, there’s nothing from anybody in the know. Rafa certainly didn’t mention it in his post match report. Usually a report with an substance there’s names of sources etc. If it was a behind closed doors meeting, one of them must have talked to the press and that would displease Ashley enough to sack them, with his current situation with the press. I need more than just rumours, which is why I’ve generally dismissed paper talk on transfers. The list just posted says all you need to know about so called transfer targets! 🙂 No, until I get more I’m giving this no credence whatsoever. Not saying Ashley isn’t capable of it, just saying I’ve not seen a scrap of evidence to support it. And on that note, football’s on.