Christian Atsu Has Great Game As Ghana Win 1-0

Newcastle’s on-loan winger Christian Atsu started off well with Ghana in the Africa Cup Nations Group D in Gabon when they beat Uganda 1-0 with a penalty coming from Andre Ayew of West Ham after 32 minutes.

Christian played the whole game for Ghana for his 42nd cap (9 goals) and he had an excellent game and was named the Man of the Match – Rafa Benitez please take note.

Christian Atsu of Ghana – played the whole game today

The reports of the game say that Christian caused the Uganda defense all kinds of trouble from the right wing with his quickness and ability to cut inside and shoot.

Atsu had several attempts on goal but he couldn’t get his 10th goal for his country – but he was Ghana’s best player today.

This follows a successful start for Newcastle center-back Chancel Mbemba yesterday with DR Congo who won 1-0 in their opening Group C game against Morocco  and they now lead the group with Mbemba playing the whole game yesterday.

On Sunday, Senegal beat Tunisia 2-0 in the first game in Group B and  Mo Diame was an unused substitute in that game.

So the three countries we have Newcastle players represented in – all won their first games and they top their respective groups.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:43 PM

The one player that Rafa really likes. I’m thinking Townsend!

• JamesToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM

?@lee_ryder
    @scottmather1 There’s been talks from what I understand. Watch this space.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Talks???

• booboo

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM

ShirebrookToon

i think so too but a lil bit of weird he could not stay for season i mean only 8months and battle with a gaffa and fans that love him at a big club atleast bigger than palace but he choose to play for pardone get it !! he aint that smart thats for sure !!

big miro joking around that he will play against birmingham..good too hear that young fella is ready to give us that extra push we need

atsu did well 2day son got man of the match and he might return with some gold…

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Booboo

He was a little stupid in leaving us for palace and thinking that would better his chances at getting an England call but he’s gone backwards since being there. But I’d have him back yesterday if it was down to me.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Who is Tom Powers and how does he seem to know the inside track?

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:05 PM

JamesToon

Can you elaborate on what talks please?

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM

I googled that Tom Power earlier and basically he nicked the article from the chronicle etc and repeated it.

So don’t listen to Jail he’s fake news

• booboo

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM

ShirebrookToon

gotta agree even though he left us numb he hurt himself or his carreer more after !! and he would massively improve the team right now

• welshgeordie9

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Belfast

Who’s fake, Did you mean Jail or Tom.

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Jail is fake news

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Well Jail and Tom 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Swans signed Carroll today, pity it wasn’t Andy.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Think jails more a stuck record than fake.

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM

I think Ryder means Townsend. According to the Sun today they want 13 million.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:21 PM

I’m sure they said when the transfer window closed in the summer, they said there will be plenty of money to spend in January.

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Apologies – Jail likes fake news

• reilly

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:22 PM

• Mag52

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Does anyone out there really believe that we’ve seen the end of Ashley’s bonkers decisions regarding our club ?
    I, for one, don’t and nor, I suspect, do many fellow bloggers which is why the latest rumour attached to him has caused so much concern.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Booboo

Yeah he defo made a bad career choice and I think now he is regretting it

• Belfast

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Jail’s actually my favourite poster on .Co.uk

• Ron Knee

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Not exactly a scintillating choice of fixtures this evening.

• booboo

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM

we gonna shit on birmingham
    lalalalalala
    we gonna shit on birmingham
    they gonna get flushed back to in the toilet hole
    lalalalala

we gonna shit on birmingham
    lalalalalala

• jazzyp

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Evening Gents, Any Transfer news today ??. Are we any closer on Townsend or anyone for that matter..

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:36 PM

Evening Jazzy mate. Hopefully the news that’s been banded about is that of Townsend or McCarthy mate but who knows

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Belfits,
    I post on there every ten months on average so I’m just behind kim and TDsarf as their most regular contributor.

• booboo

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM

ShirebrookToon

as long as he aint pardewed he could be useful mate
    he aint do that bad under benitez though

lets get him thenn

• jazzyp

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM

Shirebrook

Evening buddy… Bet ya cant wait for the match Saturday mate, Are you going up early ??.
    I was reading a lot of media speculation Mcarthy was a big target for us last night. Has that cooled down along with the other 100 rumours this january we have been linked with

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM

jazzyp,
    I picked up an Evening Standard before I left Laandan today and they have a piece on all the PL clubs down there and in the Palace bit nowt about Townsend.
    My favourite quote in there was from Emanuel Petit on Payet.
    “The hatred goes beyond sport, there’s a lot of people who want to punch him in the face” 😀

• welshgeordie9

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM

I think I know the player that Rafa really likes and want to sign, Charlie Austin.

See the headlines now, Charlie Austin arrives in toon.

• booboo

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Jail for Ashley

The hatred goes beyond sport, there’s a lot of people who want to punch him in the face.

i can understand that !!! what a piece of…..he is !!
    now these ballers now a days ?? whats going on there heads ?? complete ungrateful selfish pri….

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Jazzy.

Yeah I can’t wait mate. I’m going up early so I can get a parking space.

On transfer targets I’d say it’s looking like Townsend and McCarthy mate. If those two arrived I’d be happy with that

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM

Bring back Toonsend. He was my top priority to stay in the summer and I think he’s prepared to admit his mistake and come back and pick up where he left.

Showed the most fight and the most quality of all our players as we failed to beat the drop, shows he works well with Rafa, he enjoyed the pressure and can deliver in front of a demanding crowd.

He’s much better than Ritchie.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:55 PM

I’d have Townsend back as long as he adhered to the conditions me and hibbit outlined!

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Ah poor Andros
    He went to palace because he thought he’d get back into the England team, even though he’d already done that with us

Ending up playing Pardew’s patented “Gouff role”

Probably thought things can’t much worse than this…
    Then bam…Allardyce

• WWSBRD

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Jail
    Give over first powering run down the wing cut in and thunder ba*tard shot and he’d be back on ur shirt

• jazzyp

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM

Shirebrook

Shows the pull of Nufc if we could bring these PL players down to the Championship.
    Do you believe Ashley is becoming involved in all transfer dealings again, Reverting back to our much loved buy young…sell on for a profit model

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:04 PM

I think we all know the player that rafa is talking about… Shola Ameobi!! He’s just struggling to get him out of retirement so has brought in help in the form of Ashley and Bishop. All is crystal clear now.

On a serious note, with Carroll going to Swansea and Ki Sung Yueng seemingly out of favour. What does anyone think about going for him? We haven’t been linked but I personally think he is an underrated player.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM

I would take Townsend back but I would tell him he has to get less than what he was on the first time we signed him. Certainly should not match his current contract or offer a rise in wages.