Rafa’s Comments On Transfers And Ashley

Rafa Benitez has just given his press conference for the FA Cup 3rd round replay against Birmingham City at St. James’ Park tomorrow night.

Rafa has talked about this month’s transfer business being difficult but that Newcastle still have options and he’s also talked about owner Mike Ashley.

Rafa Benitez – just completed his press conference

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa made about the game tomorrow nigh coming from the Newcastle Twitter account and Chronicle Live:

“People think I like to sign old players.” “It’s not the case our team is below the average age in the division.”

“My communication with the owner is always through Lee Charnley.”  “We talk every day about transfers, scouts, agents, and we have the same ideas in my head.”

“I want to sign best players possible for us”

“I don’t have any problem signing young players, if they are good players I can develop then, but January is always difficult”

“I would like to sign young players with enough quality to make a difference on the pitch.”

“I am going to try to keep getting players this month.”  “I have a list of players I like and I’m confident we will.”  “We have options”

“A couple of them could be really good.” “One I like a lot.” “Hopefully we can progress.”

“We are watching everything, it is easier on loan with an option or obligation to buy.”

“We had four players from the U23s training with us this week, and they can play.”

Rafa was asked specifically if he was still in control of transfers, with the recent report in the Sunday People – and he said this:

“Yeah, nothing has changed.”

That seems straightforward.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Birmingham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• JamesToon

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Great, so the papers were talking crap, can we move on now please?

• lochinvar

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Knowing that the papers talk crap in an attempt to sell more papers is hilarious.
    I haven’t bought one for years ( Hexham Courant excepted ) !

Neil Moxley will be out of print soon printing fairy stories.

• hibbit

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM

as most of us thought pure Trinity Mirror B/S they have an agenda they keep trying exercising !!

• lesh

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Rafa doesn’t mind signing young players as long as they’re good enough…….

That suggests to me that he hasn’t exactly been overly impressed by some of Carr’s signings.

There’s a rabbit off somewhere though as we’re seemingly struggling to get decent players in. Maybe it’s Ashley being loathe to have pay big money out for what he and Rafa see as worth less. But any player’s value is determined by what other clubs are prepared to pay and it appears that average players are attracting silly fees. But, Premier clubs do have the money to spend on fees and inflated wages while Championship clubs have less, they’re prepared to pay over the odds as a short-term investment to get them into the Prem.

Surely, but surely Ashley must see the wealth that’s to be gained from promotion and when we hear that McCarthy might end up at a relegated Sunderland, he might as well join us and get back to the Prem.

Let’s hope that Ashley’s not tightened the purse strings and sees the sense in buying the experience that’ll get us into the Prem. If those players happen to have little resale value, then so be it – we’ll have spent a few million to accumulate many many more.

• Moonraker15

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Who has the final say on transfers? It’s obvious that would be the owner in all clubs otherwise the coach would be signing players the club couldn’t afford! But that is different to having players signed without the coach’s input!
    Sounds like a totally distorted storyline.
    Rafa rules ok?!!!

• U.S Magpie

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM

This has come as a complete shock to me that a news paper in England wrote something about Newcastle United that isn’t true. This Sunday please watch out because I have heard that Alan Shearer is coming out of retirement and will once again play in the number nine shirt, wait hold the press, I just heard that also in the news Mike Ashley is selling the club for 7 billion dollars and Chris Waddle has the leading role for the next James Bond movie. God I hope all these stories are true in the English papers.