Confidence Rising That Newcastle Can Sign Townsend

The Chronicle (Mark Douglas) are reporting tonight that the confidence is rising within the club that Newcastle can do a deal for Crystal palace winger Andros Townsend this month.

Crystal Palace prefer a straight permanent transfer in the January transfer window and Newcastle want a loan deal with an option to buy in the summer, but maybe something can still be worked out.

There are reports that Andros is keen to return to Newcastle and play again for Raga Benitez and that would hardly be a big surprise – and it will be helpful in trying to forge a deal in January.

Andros Townsend and Rafa Benitez – good working relationship

Rafa got the very best out of the player who has huge potential, but has never been too consistent throughout his career.

However, since Rafa came in last March he quickly had Andros playing at his very best and in 13 appearances for us Andros scored four goals and had two assists.

If Rafa can get him in it would give the club a huge lift for the remainder of the season and certainly Townsend can propel us to promotion with his goals and his skill on either wing.

This is what Rafa has said during his press conference today on the transfer situation:

“I was talking with Lee Charnley beforehand and said ‘listen they will ask me in the press conference about transfers’ but it is the same situation.”

“We are talking with players and agents and just waiting.”  “It has to be the right one but I have confidence that we can do something.”

“Now it’s not about convincing players or not, it’s a question of finding the right one for us.”

“I didn’t have too many in the Premier League that I had to talk to them or convince them.”

“Some of them were fine but maybe their clubs didn’t want to sell or maybe the price was too high, so you don’t waste time.”

“Then you have to go abroad and look for different players.”  “It is the same situation now.”

“The players doing well at the teams at the top are in Europe, so why do they have to go now?”

“Maybe they can wait until next year. With that, we haven’t had too many players saying no because of this.”

“What we have is prices that are very high, which we aren’t even considering.”

Certainly the Newcastle fans are well aware what Townsend can do on Tyneside, and he seems to be inspired by the Geordie crowd – and of course Andros will know we are getting 52,000 crowds at St. James’ Park in the second  division.

Signing Andros would be great deal for Newcastle on loan through the end of the season – let’s hope we can get it done.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Rotherham United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM

This game was the chance Mitro had been waiting for. But not to be. First suspension, and now injury quite possibly ushering him out the door instead. It’s not hard to imagine that if he had been available and had gotten the nod first up he’d have taken the opportunity and be the fixture up top that Gayle is now and be very much part of Rafa’s plans next year. Now, well, very iffy.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM

Does anyone else notice that we keep being linked with wingers who mostly play on the right? Personally, I think we need a genuine left winger who plays on the left wing. Not a player who can play there but prefers the right.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Mollydookers are more scarce. I thinks it’s that simple.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM

If we want to play 433 I see Ritchie and townsend on the right. But more likely Ritchie movie to the left.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Moving

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM

I think no matter how mitro played, he was never going to be rafas one up top. He had a few games earlier in the season if you remember, played well and scored a few goals. A similar rate if not better to gayles if I’m not mistaken. Yet a bad performance against Blackburn led to his disappearance for a few games. Other players have played poorly in games including gayle yet were still given opportunities. Throughout Benitez’s time here, he has been quite reluctant to play mitro so I don’t think there is anything he can do to change his opinion and if a decent bid is made for mitro then he’ll be sold.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:34 PM

I would see Ritchie moving to the left too but that’s my point, he’s predominantly a right winger. We should really have a genuine left winger if truth be told.

• expatmag

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:37 PM

From a couple of threads back from a poster xalled BOOBY BEE or something like that, I would say the comment you made about finding it so funny about a person in another country getting uptight about someone ftom outside that xountry naking drrogatory comments, is a thinly veiled swipe at me because of my opinions on Newcastle related football matters.

Being the goose you are, I find it amusing that you can compare the death of 4 people, one being a 10 month old baby, murdered by a drug induced madman in a car at lunchtime in the centre of a major world city with a view on whether NUFC should sign Townsend on loan or not………most embarrassing for you.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM

ronaldo aarons
    townsend,ritchie and atsu are left footers but prefer to play on the right for the cut in and shoot glory..never liked that myself….looks like one of them will be asked to play left….but getting an actual left winger must be to hard or costly.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:39 PM

Sammy can play left wing!

• lesh

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:39 PM

Steak

Rafa’s got Murphy available at the moment and given time and with good coaching in the finer points of being a CF, Mitro could be a big player next season. (Shearer, can you help the lad?)

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:40 PM

Maybe, but I think Shelvey and Gayle’s almost telepathic understanding has played a significant part in the marginalising of Mitro. It might easily have been very different, had Mitro been given the shirt first. Gayle is now of course undroppable. Mitro being a bit of a knucklehead hasn’t helped either. Gayle I’m sure is far easier to work with.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM

Springy
    Yeah that’s my point lol, whoever plays on the left will not be in their favoured position. Therefore we need a winger who generally plays on the left than buying another winger who plays on the right. I don’t think they’re too costly tbh and there’s plenty out there worth considering.

• Steak and Kidney Pie

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM

I’m a big Mitro fan, but there is a lack of pace and movement that would give you pause to think about how good he could possibly be in the fast and furious epl, but I don’t doubt he’d have excelled in this team in this league.

• Belfast

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM

Lesh when Trump makes American great again you’re going to look really really really really STUPID hehehe

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM

Sammy can play left wing, he wasn’t forgotten. Just earlier I said I would like to see him given a chance under Benitez as I feel there is a player in there. But I don’t know about you, I am not confident at this moment with having him as our number 1 left winger going into next season.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Not sure if anyone here has seen much of Charly Musonda from Chelsea but I would love to see him with us. In my eyes the star of Chelsea young lads and has that star potential whilst still being a very good player right now. Played in la Liga last year with Betis and played well, didn’t play much this year with them after a falling out with gus poyet (can you blame him) and is back at Chelsea.

Perfect for us as hes naturally a left winger and adaptable to have already played as a deep lying midfielder and as a number 10. Would give him this season to integrate and adjust to the team so he can make the step up to the premier league. More than capable of doing so. Would take Kasey Palmer off their hands too lol, really good number 10.

• lesh

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Belfast

Maybe you could learn some lessons from Trump? Nah, maybe not.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM

I have a feeling that Sammy might surprise us in the same way that Gouffron did.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Trump is a bl**dy good snooker player. I’m sure that Belfast could learn something from him.

• lesh

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:54 AM

Essex

Speaking of snooker, which I’ve never watched for years, that lad Perry’s a bit handy. Tactically astute and visually aware, he looks a bit like Shelvey too.

Better sign him up, quick.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:40 AM

If Rafa is confident that he can work with Townsend again, I’m on board with that. He was very good in those 10 games or so. We’re going to need Premier League quality next year should we go up, so if he can keep to a good level of form, he’s is just that.

• Mag52

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:35 AM

Mt team v Rotherham:

Darlow – our no. 1 goalie.
    Yedlin – with Anita out the obvious choice.
    Lascelles – captain courageous.
    Clarke – solid and dependable.
    Dummett – not everyone’s favourite, but rarely let’s us down.
    Shelvey – first name on the team sheet.
    Colback – Fits in well with Shelvey.
    Ritchie – looking good after a dip in form.
    Perez – big talent, only available no.10
    Gouffran – mr.dependable.
    Murphy – our super-sub. with Gayle still out.

• toonincheek

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:51 AM

I am not convinced by Townsend.

Fair do’s – he did well last year, but I put that down to his
    motivation to get into the England squad for the Euros.
    And – no doubt Rafa played a part.

But without the Euros, I have doubts that Rafa will be able to
    keep him motivated.
    Love to be wrong – just have to trust Rafa’s judgement.

• expatmag

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:54 AM

JFA

Rafas bingo wotsits

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Perez Lazaars
    Murphy

Subs
    Elliott Sterry Hanley Haidara Hayden Barlaser

• Nufc-83

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Would love Townsend I really hope this happens as he would destroy this league!

On sammy I can’t understand the criticism of him as for me when he has played for us I have always been impressed. If we can get a bit more of consistency from him which generally comes with age and good coaching he will be a decent player so I wouldn’t write him off.

I feel we need to be playing a more attacking lb as teams are generally defending deep and only hitting us on the break so we need help unlocking those defences and dummet offers nothing so let’s get Lazaar in.

Looks like the game is being televised abroad so we will have streams today lads!!

• Magtoonpie

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:14 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4xbySNiybQ Thought the responses on this were hilarious. I voted for townsend not to come back but i think he has proven himself at Newcastle i just hope he gains some loyalty whens hes signed on again

• expatmag

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Put it this way

I would rather sign Townsend than Lescott

Ho ho fcuking ho

• willowdalerez

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM

I am less than optimistic about a deal for anyone Rafa really wants. Forget Mark Douglas take it from Rafa himself who said this:

“I was talking with Lee this morning. Hopefully he was working in the evening and maybe he will give me a surprise in a few hours, in a few days, you never know.”

That is old Ashley / Charnley through and through… bait us with rumours and then switch for a cheap, youthful “promising” foreigner with no English experience… and that’s if we bring in anyone at all. Note that all the reasons they have for no new signings is the “tough market” and that means one thing. Money. Not where players wan to go or whether we can get get them but whether Ashley will open the purse strings.

Where did that horse and cart and Trophy of Ashley’s go… Yes over the cliff of relegation. If Ashley thinks Rafa can (as seems likely) bring us stright up with no new bodies cheap buys with sell on value watch for the pattern to continue.

Just hope Rafa’s assurances before signing on included a minimum budget for transfers.

• willowdalerez

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:33 AM

On Townsend he’s a dream.

1. Rafa wants him
    2. He’d rip up this league @NUFC-83 I completely agree

Don’t need more reasons than that but it’s probably just jaw jaw because Palace want a sale and we want a loan.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:33 AM

I would have liked to see Thauvin in this league. I’m sure he would have destroyed it and toughened up for next year in the top flight.

I don’t know why we’re chasing Townsend when we have Ritchie. I can’t even remember the last time we bought an actual left winger. Jonas perhaps?

• sing in the corner

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Must hurry…I hear the bus coming and it’s got dodgy brakes..

On Sammy..
    One question. Why do we think he has had to sink to League 1 to start playing some moderately impressive football? He’s been around for long enough to stake his claim now.
    I remember him playing out wide for us in the Prem, selling our midfield down the river by carelessly giving the ball away time after time. Nice kid by all accounts but sadly has nowhere near the consistency needed for a first team at the higher levels, including the championship in my opinion.

• check the toastie

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM

why would anyone select Colback over Hayden.
    Mindblowing really.
    Hayden is twice the player, hope we sign Cairney at some point, kids good.

• sing in the corner

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM

On Townsend
    We don’t have access to half the facts / details but my best guess is that He will have to concede some ground on wages for Rafa to agree to take him back. I think Rafa understands the potential destabilising effect on the team. NUFC have to save face somewhat, rather than be seen to be wooing a player who swiftly turned his back on us five minutes ago in favour of a pay rise move to a far lesser club.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Brighton have been outstanding this seasom
    Inferior player to us, but are performing better than us. Amazing.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:44 AM

Sing

Slightly unfair on Sammy, he was not the only or major contribution to us losing the ball. He does not have the ability to consistently drive the team up the pitch, but he does try to hold his limited own.

• sing in the corner

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:46 AM

ilovetoon
    They have had more luck than us too, not by much, but more. The team that wins the league is often the best more often also the luckiest..

• sing in the corner

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:49 AM

Lindisfarne
    No, certainly not the only one guilty of poor ball retention, but a stand out in that category. Canny player in short bursts, for me has had a long time to grow his potential but hasn’t yet. Hope Rafa can get him moving in the right direction. He will get a chance at some stage but he has to do it right now.

• Nufc-83

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM

As I said lads I think you are too harsh on sammy I remember our Europa league ventures in which sammy would play regular football (seems like an eternity) and he was often our best player. I would like to see him given a chance.

I really don’t like coldback but next to shelvey he seems to play better and he clicks better than Hayden IMO.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Townsend came here, did good and moved on. We should do the same. I assume a deal will only be done if it is a good offer, which is the only reason why it should be accepted. I thought Rafa only bought up grades in this situation. Is he really PL quality when he consistently plays in relegation clubs?