Newcastle Make Formal Approach For Former Winger


There’s a report in the Northern Echo today that Newcastle have made a formal approach to Crystal Palace about taking their former winger Andros Townsend back to Newcastle.

The loan is for the rest of the season, with an option to buy Townsend in the summer.

Signing Andros permanently would depend on whether he can reach the form he showed for us last season when he was easily one of our best players during the fight against relegation – which we ultimately lost.

It would also depend on Newcastle gaining promotion back to the Premier League and if we can get Andros back he could certainly help us with that goal.

Andros Townsend and Rafa Benitez in May last year

Middlesbrough are also one of the clubs said to be interested in the player, but it remains to be seen if a club comes in and pays cash up front to Palace for the 25 year-old England International in a deal.

We are assuming Palace would prefer to do a permanent deal in January so they can spend that money on new players coming in – but maybe they are not short of money to bring in those new players this month?

If that’s the case then there has to be a decent chance Andros will be coming back to Newcastle, albeit on loan and he would be welcomed by the majority of Newcastle – over 80% in our poll.

There are also reports that Andros wants to return to Newcastle.

Some fans of course will never forgive him for leaving us in June when we really needed him, but most fans will forget about that error of judgement.

🙂

Moving to Palace has turned out to be disastrous move for the England winger.

Townsend would be an exciting signing for us – if we can get him in.

Would You Take Andros Townsend Back At Newcastle?

  • Yes (85%, 7,647 Votes)
  • No (15%, 1,377 Votes)

Total Voters: 9,024

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

8 comments so far

  • Markaccus

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:28 AM

    Comment #1

    LGF

    The thing with suarez is that somebody else heard him say it. With shelvey, the player simple accused him of racism and the FA dropped thier ar$e and banned him, just in case they might have appeared racist themselves. It has opened a can of worms that will be very hard to close. A minority player simply has to say “xyz said this” and a ban will be imposed.

    The FA have backed themselves into a corner. Even the John Terry incident, where he was cleared in a criminal court, and the FA accepted JTs story that he said the words in the sentence “I did not call you an effing black cee”, they still banned him because the words came out of his mouth, and the tv footage was carefully and sensationally edited to ONLY show those words.

    0
  • Tsunki

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:42 AM

    Comment #2

    Only a bad decision to join palace in hindsight. It was probably the logical thing to do at the time, especially if he was getting the word that he had to be in the PL to resurrect his England career. His agent will have been urging pressure on him too seeing as he was suddenly bankable and for who knows how long.

    Roll on two of the most pedantic treadwater managers in the game and a team with no remit, goal or direction but survival and a style based on consolidation and determination to not concede and he’s back to square one.

    If his agent has any sense he will the sensation value and opportunity in a loan with view to buy, we are a sound bet for PL next year , and I doubt moving somewhere like Boro or any other bottom feeder with a magnetic pull to relegation will appeal. Yes he’s a right sider but sure he/we can adapt to accommodate, and if he pulls his finger out, this league will get the shock of its life 🙂

    0
  • jezza442

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM

    Comment #3

    The next home game everyone in support needs to sing….he’s coming home’,toonsend coming home,make him feel like rafa did in the last game of last season, he will definitely want to come back.personally i would be over the moon if he did

    0
  • G

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM

    Comment #4

    jezza agreed mate

    0
  • Tsunki

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:49 AM

    Comment #5

    Re shelvey, the problem is FA tribunals are not courts of law, the time honoured tenets of innocence until proven guilty and reasonable doubt are overriden by political expediency, public relations and financial gain. It’s an unfairly subjective and unilateral process, possibly shelvey could Store this experience up for future legal action, I’m sure he will have taken advice on it.

    0
  • Tsunki

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM

    Comment #6

    Bang on, jezza – the power of support will definitely bring his motivation out, he’ll soon remember what it’s like to play in front of a real crowd.

    0
  • G

    Jan 20, 2017 at 7:52 AM

    Comment #7

    Palace was always a mistake for Townsend, and despite the circumstances, I’m sure he realises this too. After all, we don’t call it ‘Selhurst Donkey Sanctuary’ for nothing.

    0
  • magspuggy

    Jan 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM

    Comment #8

    Re.jonjo the whole thing stinks and if he is innocent he should fight it at all levels the laddies been labeled a racist and excepted the punishment.

    For our club to back him afterwards and in this manner is worrying.

    If we felt he couldn’t get a fair hearing at the fa should we not challenge that instead of saying afterwards yeah he pleaded guilty but only coz u offered a reduction of punishment for doing so .

    Kangaroo courts .

    Re, Andros, nee loan and nee get out of the championship free card,
    Come back and earn your prem place , fees and wages that’s for charnley to decide (good luck with that)
    If that’s not enough for him move on and buy or grow wor own.

    Haway the toon

    0

You must log in to post a comment.